OK...here goes

- Is it everything that I wanted? No I wanted the earlier of the 1st round picks and a 3rd. But did everybody stop and think that this was the BEST the bills could get and they knew they weren't going to be able to sign Peters? What do you do? You take the best deal you can get and obviously this was it.

- There is something that has been bothering me about Peters for some time now. Peters knew that he was getting set for a big payday last year and yet he didn't do what needed to be done to have a great year....as a matter of fact he had the WORST year of any starting LT in the league. This just screams "warning" at me. A motivated player would want to dominate and ensure that paycheck. Peters REGRESSED. SOOOO what will people be saying if Peters either a. Goes out and bombs with the Eagles this year or b. Cant stay healthy like he has been unable to do the past two years? Will having an extra first round pick look more worth it then?

- The bills will probably go LT with that 11 pick.....but I actually dont think I need to. I am a big D. Bell fan. The kid has very athletic feet and a whole offseason conditioning program.

- Now that the bills know they wont be paying huge LT money......will they step up and bring in a couple more veteran free agent guys?

- I wanted closure....I got it.

- Now that the bills know they wont be paying huge LT money......will they step up and bring in a couple more veteran free agent guys?

I'm desperately hoping this is the case. I'm waiting for the Bills to make a comment (probably cant until Peters passes a physical) and hopefully they'll talk about bringing in some vet O-Lineman to help out.

If not, and we are trusting it all to rookies...ugh. I'd like to see us bring in Runyan, sign him to a two year deal. At the very least, he gives us some leadership and can coach the rookies we bring in.

I agree, this is the best they could get and it's not a BAD deal. It's an okay deal. A good negotiation is one which leaves both parties little bit disappointed, and it seems like that's what this is.

Although, I'm not sure we take an LT at 11...I still see us trading to the teens or going DE at 11. Regardless, I know nothing and this will be an interesting draft day!

- There is something that has been bothering me about Peters for some time now. Peters knew that he was getting set for a big payday last year and yet he didn't do what needed to be done to have a great year....as a matter of fact he had the WORST year of any starting LT in the league.

But he was in the Pro Bowl (well not actually he was too injured to play but not so injured to be in training room during end of season) so he had to be the best player in the league for those 13 games he played in. Right?

I agree, this is the best they could get and it's not a BAD deal. It's an okay deal. A good negotiation is one which leaves both parties little bit disappointed, and it seems like that's what this is.

Although, I'm not sure we take an LT at 11...I still see us trading to the teens or going DE at 11. Regardless, I know nothing and this will be an interesting draft day!

agreed. I say good riddance....I don't think Peters would play to his full potential if we paid him whatever the hell it is he wanted. I hope Russ Brandon kicked him in his fat ass out the door.

- Is it everything that I wanted? No I wanted the earlier of the 1st round picks and a 3rd. But did everybody stop and think that this was the BEST the bills could get and they knew they weren't going to be able to sign Peters? What do you do? You take the best deal you can get and obviously this was it.

- There is something that has been bothering me about Peters for some time now. Peters knew that he was getting set for a big payday last year and yet he didn't do what needed to be done to have a great year....as a matter of fact he had the WORST year of any starting LT in the league. This just screams "warning" at me. A motivated player would want to dominate and ensure that paycheck. Peters REGRESSED. SOOOO what will people be saying if Peters either a. Goes out and bombs with the Eagles this year or b. Cant stay healthy like he has been unable to do the past two years? Will having an extra first round pick look more worth it then?

- The bills will probably go LT with that 11 pick.....but I actually dont think I need to. I am a big D. Bell fan. The kid has very athletic feet and a whole offseason conditioning program.

I coudlnt agree with you more. Was just having the exact converstion with a fellow Bills fan that if he wanted to get paid as a dominant LT he would have stayed in shape and came out and dominated putting an exclamation on his demand for more money. Yes he was voted to the Prow bowl this year but all the experts felt there was at least 4 guys better than him LAST SEASON.

My fear was that we would pay his amount then watch a MIKE WILLIAMS fiasco develope. This way we get three players over the next two years for him and hopefully some quailty ones at that. But for me we are getting 3 picks for an undrafted FA we are still on the winning side of this despite what others might think!

I agree - now we can move on - it's not like Peters was any good last year. I thought for sure he'd come in and just kick ass, but he was terrible -- 11.5 sacks in 13 games - that's miserable! Just think of the low bar set for his replacement(s) -- if they give up 14 or fewer sacks in 16 games they're BETTER than Peters was last year. Maybe he'll get it together for Philly - maybe not but he wasn't doing it with Buffalo.

Good post John. I am thinking the same way. We don't have to take a rookie LT or even RT with pick 1. The coaches are as happy about Bell as they were about Peters. His feet are as good, and his brain is better.

I had a similar response in another post. I want to think they had an alternative in mind when the pulled the trigger.

Good post except for the Bell comment, let the player do something beyond the practice squad before we pencil him in as a starter-potential sure but nothings proven-meaning he didnt even play that great in college

I'm somewhat lukewarm. On one hand, when peters plays up to his potenetial he can be flat out dominant. If you can lock up a dominant LT for the prime of his career, it is definitely worth it to pay him, no question about it. However, the Ross Tucker article talking about how some guys stop working as hard once they get a ton of guaranteed money comes to mind (the one where he talks about Mike Williams without naming him.) The way peters had been acting lately, I don't know if I fully trust that he stays hungry after he gets his big pay day, and say at best case it is a risk. It's crazy how in a matter of a couple years the general perception of peters went from the underdog undrafted FA who worked his butt off, did all the right things and made himself into an all pro LT to a spoiled selfish me first baby. The reality is somewhere in between, and I can see the merits of both the argument to pay him and the argument to trade him. However, there's no question that giving him a huge contract would've been a very significant risk given the way he acted and played last year. Here's to hoping that the 28 pick ends up being a future hall of famer and we can all laugh about this in a couple years.

By the way.....now that he is no longer OUR player and not a bill

I have never seen such a fat, lazy, piece of @hit on a professional team in my entire life.

- An UNDRAFTED player that the bills took a chance on and cultivated his talent. Do you know how many talented players never make it in the NFL just because they dont have the "high draft pick" pedigree? There is a HUGE list of names. Those guys would give their left nut to be a pro franchises starting player at a position.

- But NOOOOOO JP not only had his contract reworked some time ago but as soon as he found out he might be good started crying about a contract which accumulated in him screwing the team last year by not showing up to camp. Then allowed the whole thing to be a distraction when he SHOULD have been a leader on this team.

I thank the Eagles for taking JP off of our hands.......

Peters had an off year this year. I question whether he will ever be the pro bowler he was a few years ago. I think we should have gotten more in the trade, and I question trading him because of our lack of good linemen on the O-Line, but in the long haul we are probably going to come out ahead in this deal.

he was dominating on many plays, but the oline is not the dline. consistency and crafty play beats awesome performances with fck ups inbetween.

i remember the sack where joey porter just whipped jason peters and got trent in a blink of an eye for a safety in miami. wtf was that sht? his ball washers were saying it was because he was out of shape, like that's a good thing for a pro athlete who wants mega bucks?

By the way.....now that he is no longer OUR player and not a bill

I have never seen such a fat, lazy, piece of @hit on a professional team in my entire life.

- An UNDRAFTED player that the bills took a chance on and cultivated his talent. Do you know how many talented players never make it in the NFL just because they dont have the "high draft pick" pedigree? There is a HUGE list of names. Those guys would give their left nut to be a pro franchises starting player at a position.

- But NOOOOOO JP not only had his contract reworked some time ago but as soon as he found out he might be good started crying about a contract which accumulated in him screwing the team last year by not showing up to camp. Then allowed the whole thing to be a distraction when he SHOULD have been a leader on this team.

I thank the Eagles for taking JP off of our hands.......

I couldn't agree more. Jason Peters is the definition of "Selfish" and "Ego-maniac" Thank you Philadelphia, you deal with him. I live in the area and I can't wait for the Philly fans to eat him alive.

We blame the LT for the sacks, how many were caused by the QB holding the ball too long or stepping the wrong way?

How would you like it if you did the toughest job at your work and your company brought in 2 other guys for way more money that did not have to do your job. So you do your job well and these 2 other guys do not have to come close to your job rating but they get much more. No wonder Peters was mad, the FO screwed this one up. Then to make it worse they cut the guy they gave all the money to and say to you we will someday pay you after we try out some more people, oh by the way just play out the final 3 years of your way under paid contract.

I bet you would be mad too and want out

Teams do not honor contracts all the time, if Peters had gotten hurt or played badly he would of been cut

That is certainly the optimistic side of it. I like your thinking on this. The draft next week now becomes more interesting for our team then it was before.

Like who? Who is good that every team has not signed up until now that we can splash money on. No one. This is the problem as I see it. We now have to use the 11 to hopefully replace what we just traded. So we basically got rid of someone that our wonderkid GM couldnt handle. Ohhh contract negotiations were going to drag out. Fine. Peters wont show up. Fine. He will have a sub par year. Fine. Good luck getting a big league contract after 3 years of pulling this sh-- Jason Peters. By then he would have been 29. 3 years of sh--.. At somepoint Peters would have had to break down and play ball. So we now have the 28th pick to address the needs that we could have addressed at 11. Brilliant. But thank God we saved Ralphy boys money. Saving Bills Cap money like it effects our personal credit score. YEAH!!! This is the problem every year. Willis is the wrong RB. So we trade him for a couple of 3rds and draft MArshawn. Yeah.. Great upgrade and we wasted a high pick trading out. Same bunch of scouts.. Same bunch of evaluators. Same bunch of sh-- we get sold every year. At somepoint you would think they would get it right. But no. Every year it is the same sh--. 2 steps backwards. 1 step forward. I cant wait to trade Parrish for a 5th watch Leodis get hurt and then wonder why did we trade Parrish for that 5th round pick again? Then we can trade Lee Evans next year for a couple of 4ths and waste a 1st on a WR.

We blame the LT for the sacks, how many were caused by the QB holding the ball too long or stepping the wrong way?

How would you like it if you did the toughest job at your work and your company brought in 2 other guys for way more money that did not have to do your job. So you do your job well and these 2 other guys do not have to come close to your job rating but they get much more. No wonder Peters was mad, the FO screwed this one up. Then to make it worse they cut the guy they gave all the money to and say to you we will someday pay you after we try out some more people, oh by the way just play out the final 3 years of your way under paid contract.

Teams do not honor contracts all the time, if Peters had gotten hurt or played badly he would of been cut

What was the reported last offer by the bills? 3X pay raise was it not?

Like who? Who is good that every team has not signed up until now that we can splash money on. No one. This is the problem as I see it. We now have to use the 11 to hopefully replace what we just traded. So we basically got rid of someone that our wonderkid GM couldnt handle. Ohhh contract negotiations were going to drag out. Fine. Peters wont show up. Fine. He will have a sub par year. Fine. Good luck getting a big league contract after 3 years of pulling this sh-- Jason Peters. By then he would have been 29. 3 years of sh--.. At somepoint Peters would have had to break down and play ball. So we now have the 28th pick to address the needs that we could have addressed at 11. Brilliant. But thank God we saved Ralphy boys money. Saving Bills Cap money like it effects our personal credit score. YEAH!!! This is the problem every year. Willis is the wrong RB. So we trade him for a couple of 3rds and draft MArshawn. Yeah.. Great upgrade and we wasted a high pick trading out. Same bunch of scouts.. Same bunch of evaluators. Same bunch of sh-- we get sold every year. At somepoint you would think they would get it right. But no. Every year it is the same sh--. 2 steps backwards. 1 step forward. I cant wait to trade Parrish for a 5th watch Leodis get hurt and then wonder why did we trade Parrish for that 5th round pick again? Then we can trade Lee Evans next year for a couple of 4ths and waste a 1st on a WR.

Indy,

Who is to say that Jason Peters wont keep doing what he did last year? Do you really want to go through two more years of that (and I truly believe Peters was stupid enough to do just that) he was getting bad advice and listening to it.

Or suppose that player that is taken at that new pick ends up being a stud player.......dont we come out ahead?

God I KNOW that you dont trade left tackles.....but he really was hurting this team.

I agree - and now we go 11th with OL? On who, some unproven chump? Least JP proved it a few times the past few years. He certainly has been our best lineman over the last 3 years. Now we have no continuity on the line, seasons screwed. Shoulda just paid em... though I do think he was acking like a douche.

I agree - and now we go 11th with OL? On who, some unproven chump? Least JP proved it a few times the past few years. He certainly has been our best lineman over the last 3 years. Now we have no continuity on the line, seasons screwed. Shoulda just paid em... though I do think he was acking like a douche.

Everyone who is saying this is def entitled to their opinon....but I just want to throw this out there.......

It is obvious that JP is motivated by nothing but money......so what happens when he actually GETS that money. If I was the Eagles this is what would concern me.

:thumbsup: that. I started working for my present company in 2004 as a temp, just helping out wherever they needed it. Within 6 months, they saw something in me and gave me a promotion / raise. They then trained me on the job for bigger and better things. Since then, I've had one more raise, but I did some research and found that someone else in my position could be making a hell of a lot more (hmm, this starting to sound like someone else.)

The differences are 1. I'm not making millions (although I make more than a decent living) and 2. I'm grateful for the opportunities I've been given, and am not planning on holding them to the fire for another 30% raise, though I could easily get it if I went to another company.

i believe they offered him $8-10 million.

Exactly, all the people saying "of course he was mad, he was the 21st highest paid LT, the 3rd highest paid OL on the team, etc." need to keep that in perspective. The bills did offer him a big contract, just not big enough. Obviously, any time you sign someone to a mega deal with huge guaranteed $ it's a risk. However, if you're going to make someone the highest paid (or top 2 or 3) at their position, you'd rather have it be a deal like peyton manning, or larry fitzgerald, or ed reed, or brian urlacher got. A guy who's still in their prime, but has proven that they are a star and a team leader. Peters had 1.5 great seasons and one average season. He also showed himself to be a bit of a malcontent, and somewhat injury prone. I wouldn't be shocked if he does prove to be a top LT for the next few years, but I'm not sure I'd pay 11.5 per yr to find out either, too many question marks.

Everyone who is saying this is def entitled to their opinon....but I just want to throw this out there.......

It is obvious that JP is motivated by nothing but money......so what happens when he actually GETS that money. If I was the Eagles this is what would concern me.

True - he could punk out and not perform. But its different then a Mike Williams where he never performed at his pay. Peters had it. You think they could have made him the highest - but with incentives. Like Sacks allowed and games played....

3 draft picks for a guy that went undrafted as a tightend isnt bad at all.for 1 of the picks to be in the first round is pretty sweet.

You're like a lot of people, wanting closure.

But when the team is hurt, closure isn't all that important. We should have waited and gotten a better deal.

Demetrius Bell? If we are LUCKY, he may be a good second-stringer this year.

Peters will be terrific in Philly, you can take that to the bank, buy a CD and roll it over forever.

At 28, Pettigrew will be gone, Mack is likely to be gone, though not a sure thing. English may be gone. 21 would have been much much better.

Unless we love Andre Smith AND he is still available, I think we are now in a position where we are almost forced to trade back and acquire more new picks. Even if the value is not there. And that's bad.

Lots of people have been screaming for closure. But closure only helps if it's on good terms.

I couldn't agree more. Jason Peters is the definition of "Selfish" and "Ego-maniac" Thank you Philadelphia, you deal with him. I live in the area and I can't wait for the Philly fans to eat him alive.

how many sacks did Gandy give up in '06, as manyas peters this year? Good riddance!!

The sky isnt falling because we traded Peters. A lot of these same people said the same thing when Jonas Jennings was lost to San Fran................................... and went on to become a bust. Jason Peters wasnt playing at Walter Jones level but yet wanted to be paid like it.

Indy,

Who is to say that Jason Peters wont keep doing what he did last year? Do you really want to go through two more years of that (and I truly believe Peters was stupid enough to do just that) he was getting bad advice and listening to it.

Or suppose that player that is taken at that new pick ends up being a stud player.......dont we come out ahead?

God I KNOW that you dont trade left tackles.....but he really was hurting this team.

I understand your point of view. I really do. But at one point does the front office take blame for the continual replacing of players because of so called attitudes. We draft Willis and he needs to be replaced because of his attitude. We draft Marshawn and as good as a back as I believe he is at one point do we close the book on him and draft his replacement before we should need to because of his mistakes. Football character. A friend of mine works at Reebok and is close with a number of personnel people include Scott Piolia. It is late and I cant spell so forgive me. But when he was with the Patriots one of the nuggets he gave my friend was we draft people that love to play football not people that love the trappings of football and everything that comes along with being a professional athlete. I find that the Bills do not follow this premise. It bears out over and over. Mike Williams.... read Russ Tuckers article. McCargo... lazy.. Who is doing the research... Peters. Willis.. The list goes on and on.. We make zero progress and replace and then somehow are surprised when we go 7-9 for the 6th time in a row or whatever. When will they learn. Listen I am a huge Bills fan. Watching Indy win the Superbowl was great as I am a season ticket holder but it will not be the same until the Bills win it. And I just dont see how we will ever get close until we change something in our philosophy.. Because it is broken.

What was the reported last offer by the bills? 3X pay raise was it not?

That report was discredited. The last official public report was the initial one, $7.5. And 2x pay raise seems a lot till the other guy offered more. The Bills bear a large responsibility for this whole problem.