WalterFootball's reaction to the Peter's trade.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

The Jason Peters Trade and the 2009 NFL Draft - My Thoughts

I don't think I've missed an NFL preseason game in years. When I tell people this, they usually give me a dirty look or ask me if I've recently escaped from the local mental institution. I then have to explain that I watch the first three weeks of the preseason (the final week doesn't count because no one plays except for practice squad guys) for fantasy purposes.

For instance, in 2007, I noted on this Web site that Tom Brady's first read on almost every play was Wes Welker. I named Welker one of my fantasy sleepers and told my readers to take him in the middle rounds. A few months later, Welker finished the year tied for the league lead in receptions with T.J. Houshmandzadeh. That's why I'm more than happy to tune into a Browns-Lions preseason contest.

When these people hear my explanation and decide not to have me committed, they usually ask if I watch the Pro Bowl as well. To that, I smile and proudly boast, "I've been a football fan since I was about 10 years old, and I've never watched the Pro Bowl."

The Pro Bowl is a joke. Some of the top players opt out. Those who go don't really try. It's not even a real football game. And it's impossible to bet on because no one puts forth any effort. As a degenerate gambler, I do not find this appealing.

However, the reason I hate the Pro Bowl more than anything is that there are far too many crappy players named to the two squads. I don't think the NFL should strip the fans of all of the decision-making, but it's a joke because there too many clueless voters out there.

Jason Peters is the perfect example. Peters, a 6-4, 340-pound mauling left tackle, is entering his sixth year. In 2006, he started all 16 games and surrendered just two sacks.

I later wrote of Peters, "[He] has emerged as one of the top left tackles in the NFL. Unfortunately, Peters is holding out because he wants to renegotiate his contract. I say pay the man. Peters is in the middle of a 5-year deal worth $15 million. He's one of the best players at his position, and he certainly deserves a lot more than he's currently making."

So, should my Pro Bowl voting rights be revoked as well because I considered Peters a top talent? No; not for this reason anyway. Since the 2006 campaign, Peters' play has regressed exponentially. In 2007, Peters gave up six sacks in 15 contests. And last year, things got downright ugly, as Peters surrendered a whopping 11.5 sacks in just 13 games, good for tops in the NFL. Peters was also whistled for eight penalties, a career high for him.

Now you see why I hate the Pro Bowl so much. How could the league's worst left tackle, statistically speaking, be voted in as one of the premier players at his position?

Moreover, how could Andy Reid give up the No. 28 overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft for him? You can suggest that Reid was too busy waiting in line all year at Geno's Steaks to watch film on Peters or even check his stats, but doing so wouldn't be too classy. I mean, what kind of Web site makes fun of fat coaches and NFL analysts who can't even come close to speaking proper English?

I don't like this trade at all for Philadelphia; the team would have been better served trading up for Michael Oher or William Beatty, or simply sliding Todd Herremans over to left tackle. As mentioned, Peters gave up 11.5 sacks in 2008. Newly acquired right tackle Shawn Andrews, coming off knee surgery, allowed 9.5 sacks last season.

Either the Eagles missed the 2008 season entirely, or are trying their hardest to get Donovan McNabb injured so the highly anticipated Kevin Kolb era can commence as quickly as possible. On the bright side, they'll probably serve McNabb some Chunky Soup while he's lying in bed at the hospital.

From Buffalo's perspective, the deal was a lucrative one. The organization avoided overpaying for one of the NFL's most overrated players. The Bills can take Oher or Andre Smith at No. 11 overall. They'll be able to spend the No. 28 selection on a much-needed pass-rusher, such as Larry English or Michael Johnson. And now, they'll be free to spend their second-round choice on the best tight end or linebacker available.

Seems like a fair trade for the Bills. The only downside to the deal is that their fans will have one less Pro Bowler to root for. Not that anyone watches that stupid game anyway.

:thumbsup:

While sacks allowed is not a perfect stat, i find it extremely hard to believe that the margin of error is so great that the stat is completely irrelevant. If anything, i think you could attribute +- 2 or 3 sacks to not knowing the exact blocking scheme employed on that play. Even within that margin of error, Peters was still terrible.

While sacks allowed is not a perfect stat, i find it extremely hard to believe that the margin of error is so great that the stat is completely irrelevant. If anything, i think you could attribute +- 2 or 3 sacks to not knowing the exact blocking scheme employed on that play. Even within that margin of error, Peters was still terrible.

Good point, I'll go along with that. However, the Eagles don't seem to be too worried about the sacks stat based on the two FA tackles they have now brought in, do they??

I don't think I've missed an NFL preseason game in years. When I tell people this, they usually give me a dirty look or ask me if I've recently escaped from the local mental institution. I then have to explain that I watch the first three weeks of the preseason (the final week doesn't count because no one plays except for practice squad guys) for fantasy purposes.

For instance, in 2007, I noted on this Web site that Tom Brady's first read on almost every play was Wes Welker. I named Welker one of my fantasy sleepers and told my readers to take him in the middle rounds. A few months later, Welker finished the year tied for the league lead in receptions with T.J. Houshmandzadeh. That's why I'm more than happy to tune into a Browns-Lions preseason contest.

When these people hear my explanation and decide not to have me committed, they usually ask if I watch the Pro Bowl as well. To that, I smile and proudly boast, "I've been a football fan since I was about 10 years old, and I've never watched the Pro Bowl."

The Pro Bowl is a joke. Some of the top players opt out. Those who go don't really try. It's not even a real football game. And it's impossible to bet on because no one puts forth any effort. As a degenerate gambler, I do not find this appealing.

However, the reason I hate the Pro Bowl more than anything is that there are far too many crappy players named to the two squads. I don't think the NFL should strip the fans of all of the decision-making, but it's a joke because there too many clueless voters out there.

Jason Peters is the perfect example. Peters, a 6-4, 340-pound mauling left tackle, is entering his sixth year. In 2006, he started all 16 games and surrendered just two sacks.

I later wrote of Peters, "[He] has emerged as one of the top left tackles in the NFL. Unfortunately, Peters is holding out because he wants to renegotiate his contract. I say pay the man. Peters is in the middle of a 5-year deal worth $15 million. He's one of the best players at his position, and he certainly deserves a lot more than he's currently making."

So, should my Pro Bowl voting rights be revoked as well because I considered Peters a top talent? No; not for this reason anyway. Since the 2006 campaign, Peters' play has regressed exponentially. In 2007, Peters gave up six sacks in 15 contests. And last year, things got downright ugly, as Peters surrendered a whopping 11.5 sacks in just 13 games, good for tops in the NFL. Peters was also whistled for eight penalties, a career high for him.

Now you see why I hate the Pro Bowl so much. How could the league's worst left tackle, statistically speaking, be voted in as one of the premier players at his position?

Moreover, how could Andy Reid give up the No. 28 overall selection in the 2009 NFL Draft for him? You can suggest that Reid was too busy waiting in line all year at Geno's Steaks to watch film on Peters or even check his stats, but doing so wouldn't be too classy. I mean, what kind of Web site makes fun of fat coaches and NFL analysts who can't even come close to speaking proper English?

I don't like this trade at all for Philadelphia; the team would have been better served trading up for Michael Oher or William Beatty, or simply sliding Todd Herremans over to left tackle. As mentioned, Peters gave up 11.5 sacks in 2008. Newly acquired right tackle Shawn Andrews, coming off knee surgery, allowed 9.5 sacks last season.

Either the Eagles missed the 2008 season entirely, or are trying their hardest to get Donovan McNabb injured so the highly anticipated Kevin Kolb era can commence as quickly as possible. On the bright side, they'll probably serve McNabb some Chunky Soup while he's lying in bed at the hospital.

From Buffalo's perspective, the deal was a lucrative one. The organization avoided overpaying for one of the NFL's most overrated players. The Bills can take Oher or Andre Smith at No. 11 overall. They'll be able to spend the No. 28 selection on a much-needed pass-rusher, such as Larry English or Michael Johnson. And now, they'll be free to spend their second-round choice on the best tight end or linebacker available.

Seems like a fair trade for the Bills. The only downside to the deal is that their fans will have one less Pro Bowler to root for. Not that anyone watches that stupid game anyway.

Very good, interesting read. Thanks.

as much flak as the bills are taking for this trade,here is another angle...peters was a undrafted free agent tight end when the bills signed him,now the bills get 3 draft picks for him and one is a first rounder........not a bad trade at all....go bills in"2012

Im liking the trade. Every scout has this OT class rated a A for talent. Having the 11 pick to get a good OT at one third the cost of Peters is fine by me.

In all likelihood, each of the top left tackles (all unproven in the NFL) will be gone by the time the 11th pick rolls around.

So this guy thought Peters had a bad season in 2007. I'm not sure what games he was watching. Did they include the few games where JP played himself out of a job by being indecisive in the pocket and taking bad sacks? Yeesh. My very clear recollection is that Peters was a monster in 07.

Sure, this guy makes perfect sense, if you want to look at stats and not base anything on how he actually looks on the field. Peters is one of the best left tackles in football, period, but you can only see it if you watch his play on the field. I'm not sure if this guy's ever been to Bills game to actually see him perform, cause unless you're there, it's pretty hard to see how good he is.

This is ridiculous, stats are the worst thing to go by for offensive linemen. First of all, sacks allowed isn't even a real stat. Yeah, Peters gave up quite a few sacks, but he also plays in a zone blocking scheme, so it's not all on his shoulders.

Believe me, the Eagles are going to be a force, because they've shored up the offensive line, and it's going to be vicious. It's big, and fast...

This person needs to quit reading stats, there's a reason to watch the games.

Sure, this guy makes perfect sense, if you want to look at stats and not base anything on how he actually looks on the field. Peters is one of the best left tackles in football, period, but you can only see it if you watch his play on the field. I'm not sure if this guy's ever been to Bills game to actually see him perform, cause unless you're there, it's pretty hard to see how good he is.

This is ridiculous, stats are the worst thing to go by for offensive linemen. First of all, sacks allowed isn't even a real stat. Yeah, Peters gave up quite a few sacks, but he also plays in a zone blocking scheme, so it's not all on his shoulders.

Believe me, the Eagles are going to be a force, because they've shored up the offensive line, and it's going to be vicious. It's big, and fast...

This person needs to quit reading stats, there's a reason to watch the games.

Hey CFL, were you watching the right league last year buddy? Peters was absolutely dreadful last year. He was fat, slow and LAZY. It is hard to see how good he is, because he hasn't been very good. How often did Peters and Dockery obliterate the right side of any D Line? It just did not happen with any sort of regularity. For whatever reason, people get on someones bandwagon and make them out to be the best player at their position. The media put a player on a pedistal and before you know it Peters is Anthony Munoz. The whole thing became a big joke. What has Jason Peters done to make so many of you think he was the Bills savior? I just don't see it, and I have watched a lot of football over my lifetime. I just see Joey Porter going around him like he either didn't care, or just plain old SUCKED!! A new era is coming. Get on board because it is about to get a whole lot better.

word.

Thank you!!!! These sack numbers are not getting pulled out of thin air. There has to be some truth to them. Many sites and analysts have mentioned this stat before. I think we did pretty good in that trade considering our backup outplayed Peters last year.

Did anybody catch Houshmanzadeh on NFL Network say Peters was one of the best he's played against? When the F#$% did he line up against Peters? These are the guys that vote guys like Peters into the pro bowl.