Peters in Philly today

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if you knew anything about the Philly FO you'd know that they have a zero tolerance policy on hold-outs. Ask Terrell Owens and Lito Sheppard, among others.

So in a sense I agree with you. But not the way you'd prefer, I'm sure.

No more or less than if Peters was playing. I'm sure he'll miss his standard 3-4 games, per usual.

You sir, are on drugs.

<_<

Just read on the board for BuffaloBills.com that WIP (I think a radio station) is reporting the trade is for Philly's 28th pick in the first round and a fourth round pick.

If this is true, the front office should be fired immediately. We will have the worst offensive line in the NFL.

If it's a first and fourth I'll be very disappointed. At the very least they should get the low first and a third.

Sigh. Not what I wanted to see happen...but it is what it is. Dang it.

Okay...a rookie playing Left or Right Tackle will be a disaster...but I guess we are painted into a corner.

Game plan for me:

- I think Walker should be moved to LT, Chambers to RT. Still Draft Andre Smith or Michael Oher at 11 but have a back up plan.

- I agree with Dog -- we need Waters (maybe for Parrish and a 4th) now to play LG.

- We better get the Eagles 21 and their third. The other 1st round pick has to be Pettigrew (21) who is the best blocking tight end in the last several years according to pundits.

- We can leverage the second and the later of the thirds to get back into the bottom of the first and get our pass rusher--one--if we get very lucky--the hybrid LB/DE position may be like last year's WR position and one or two will fall....

- We use the other 3rd to do interior OL for depth.

I hope the thought is that three first rounders will cost less than Peters..but we will see. We are truly naked now on the OL...scary.....Trent just went to the body armor store in Los Gatos to get ready for the season...

Wouldnt that just be a kick in the nuts if they decided to move Walker to Left tackle & he holds out because he was signed to "right tackle" money?

All I know is the Bills better go nuts in Free Agency. If Ralph was making the move for T.O. in order to get a Super Bowl before he dies, giving up their best OL should not be part of the plan. I would imaging Oher is now the pick, with Pettigrew being eyed at 28th if he's still around. Maybe Mack from Cal might be that pick also.

Fill your defensive needs through FA, and draft nothing but OL in the first few rounds this year.

Sigh. Not what I wanted to see happen...but it is what it is. Dang it.

Okay...a rookie playing Left or Right Tackle will be a disaster...but I guess we are painted into a corner.

Game plan for me:

- I think Walker should be moved to LT, Chambers to RT. Still Draft Andre Smith or Michael Oher at 11 but have a back up plan.

- I agree with Dog -- we need Waters (maybe for Parrish and a 4th) now to play LG.

- We better get the Eagles 21 and their third. The other 1st round pick has to be Pettigrew (21) who is the best blocking tight end in the last several years according to pundits.

- We can leverage the second and the later of the thirds to get back into the bottom of the first and get our pass rusher--one--if we get very lucky--the hybrid LB/DE position may be like last year's WR position and one or two will fall....

- We use the other 3rd to do interior OL for depth.

I hope the thought is that three first rounders will cost less than Peters..but we will see. We are truly naked now on the OL...scary.....Trent just went to the body armor store in Los Gatos to get ready for the season...

1) Is the Body Armor Store in Los Gatos near Compton? If not, it should be...

2) Keep Parrish. We still need him.

3) I don't know about Oher, but stay away from Andre Smith at all costs. I think Oher is still there at #11. Who's the better prospect Bandit27 - him or Britton??

4) The #28 overall pick and some fourth rounder isn't good enough. Gotta do better than that, Russ.

3) I don't know about Oher, but stay away from Andre Smith at all costs. I think Oher is still there at #11. Who's the better prospect Bandit27 - him or Britton??4) The #28 overall pick and some fourth rounder isn't good enough. Gotta to better than that, Russ.

Oher has outrageous ability, much higher upside.

Britton is more ready to play as a rookie, but a lower ceiling.

Overall, Oher would be my guy if it were up to me.

3) I don't know about Oher, but stay away from Andre Smith at all costs. I think Oher is still there at #11. Who's the better prospect Bandit27 - him or Britton??

4) The #28 overall pick and some fourth rounder isn't good enough. Gotta to better than that, Russ.

True...

True...

True...

And...

TRUE!!!

It's definitely not a good sign that he is in Philly today. Usually by the time that happens, the trade negotiations have pretty much taken place, and they are probably discussing a contract and looking to take a physical for Peters. If this deal goes down then I will be saddened to see such a fine LT leave, knowing that is one of the most important positions in all of football to fill. There is little doubt that we would be taking a step backward and we will just have to hope that the person we draft can fill the void.

I will try to take the optimistic approach, and hope that the Eagles are offering us at least a 1st and 3rd. Who knows, maybe some team, out of the blue will come in with a better deal knowing that today is the day that they would have to do that if they wanted to make a bid on Peters.

As Bandit had mentioned earlier, Oher and fat boobies will probably be gone by the time we pick and that would probably leave Eben Britton as the next best LT prospect, who I like btw, but would probably be seen as a "reach" by the "draft experts", and I wouldn't be surprised if he was our 1st choice with the #11 pick. Offensive Tackles are at a premium, (Philly seems to recognize this) and we probably couldn't risk not drafting him with our choice because some other team probably will. The good news is that Pettigrew probably would be available at the #21 spot (fingers crossed) and that is who I was hoping to draft at the #11 spot anyway, and we would get tremendous value here.

If Matthews is available somewhere in the 20's in the first round, which I think is possible, I would say what we should trade our 2nd round pick and 3rd round pick, to move back into the first round to pick him up.

Matthews may be the best blitzing LB in this year's draft according to Mayock and other "draft experts", he knows how to play in coverage, very athletic and can get after the QB, and that would help fill a need at LB and help to a certain degree our pass rush. ASTRO maybe you can check and see if you think if that works.

I'm trying to find the silver lining in all of this, I suppose the most rational thing would be to wait and see how it shakes out, but as of now, I'm thinking he probably no longer will be with us.

All I know is the Bills better go nuts in Free Agency. If Ralph was making the move for T.O. in order to get a Super Bowl before he dies, giving up their best OL should not be part of the plan. I would imaging Oher is now the pick, with Pettigrew being eyed at 28th if he's still around. Maybe Mack from Cal might be that pick also.

Fill your defensive needs through FA, and draft nothing but OL in the first few rounds this year.

What do you mean? FA is basically over. Who would you like the Bills to sign?

What do you mean? FA is basically over. Who would you like the Bills to sign?

That is just plain false. There are plenty of offensive linemen on the market we could bring in:

Jon Runyan

Insider Analysis

Grade 70

Expert's Take Runyan is an extremely durable RT with excellent size and strength for the position. He is a consistent player who plays physical and does a good job of controlling opponents within his frame. His foot speed and overall quickness are descending, but he takes good angles and can sustain contact with his balance and body control. As a run-blocker, he is more of a mauler than a position blocker. He does a good job of working for movement and he gives good effort to finish at the point of attack or downfield. He is better in a confined area than he is out in space. His foot speed and adjustment skills are limited versus quick players and he can struggle to adjust on the run. He is quick to set and react in pass protection. He uses his hands well to steer or punch initially, while maintaining good balance. He has to open his hips when reacting to speed rushers up field, but his long arms help him push defenders past the quarterback. Runyan occasionally gets overextended or edged by quick counter moves. A hard change-of-direction rusher can catch him off-balance with a quick move, but he usually doesn't get beaten by the same move twice.

Mark Tauscher

Insider Analysis

Grade 63

Expert's Take Tauscher has been a mainstay on the Packers' offensive line, since entering the league nine years ago. He is a hard-nosed competitor who wins with effort, intelligence and technique. He understands angles and how to gain leverage with proper hand use and body positioning. Tauscher isn't an explosive blocker off the line of scrimmage, but has strong hands to stay connected once engaged. He can anchor effectively versus power bull rushes, but tends to have a tough time blocking speed edge-rushers. Tauscher is an average overall athlete who is best in a limited area. He has good knee bend, but his lateral agility and quickness is limited in space. He is effective on combination blocks, but his lack of nimble feet will get exposed on the second level. Tauscher is also a solid reactor to stunts and twists, which enables him to be effective in both man- and zone-blocking schemes. He is a good football player who has reached his ceiling as an NFL lineman. His experience, leadership and consistency make him a player who will likely be back in a Packers' uniform in 2009.

Jonas Jennings (I know he'd be a retread)

Insider Analysis

Grade 66

Expert's Take When Jennings is on the field, Jennings shows good athleticism and flexibility, especially in pass protection. He has initial quickness and the ability to play the game on his feet. While he is shorter than you'd like for a left tackle, he does have long arms that help him compensate for his lack of length. He plays with a low center of gravity and does a good job of hunkering down to stop the bull rush. He has a tendency to lunge out after rushers and get out of control, which is surprising for a seasoned veteran. He bites versus double moves and needs to show more patience. As a run blocker, he is a wrestler type who plays with upper-body strength and does not create much movement or finish blocks great.

Terrance Metcalf

Insider Analysis

Grade 68

Expert's Take Metcalf has great power and strength at the point of attack. He is a short, powerfully built player with a low center of gravity. He works with effective pad level to engage defenders well initially off the line of scrimmage, while working his feet to get movement. He has heavy hands to deliver a punch and can stymie defenders early in the play. He can anchor well versus powerful bull rushers or clog up interior gaps with his natural girth and hand use. He is a solid technician who takes good angles and understands leverage and body positioning. Metcalf has good quickness and balance in a limited area, but does show some effectiveness on the second level. He isn't great in space, but once engaged often finishes well. He is an instinctive player who reacts to stunts and blitzes. He can pinball defenders in a limited area. He is a versatile player because he has also played the center position during his career. However, he tends to get lazy at times when he is tired and loses his base, but most often he gives great effort and is a solid football player.

Richie Incognito (what a name)

Insider Analysis

Grade 64

Expert's Take Incognito is a four-year player who started 15 games last year for the Rams. He has experience playing guard and center but last year. He has good size and strength and he plays with nasty temperament. He's an adequate athlete who plays with good initial quickness and pad level. He's an aggressive run blocker who can create movement on contact and has the ability to finish. His aggressiveness will cause him to get overextended at times, but he shows adequate recovery skills. He does a good job working double teams and providing good leg drive. He has a hard time making adjustments in space at the second level or when asked to pull, but does show awareness to wall off pursuit angles. He lacks good foot quickness in pass protection and gets caught leaning. Quick players that can change direction and work the edge of his frame can cause him problems. He has adequate success dealing with power moves, where he can lock down with his hands and control opponents within his frame.

Eric Ghiaciuc

Insider Analysis

Grade 65

Expert's Take Ghiaciuc is a four-year player who has good experience as a starting center. He has good overall quickness with adequate size and strength. He is quick off the ball and he can sustain quick angles. He is a competitive player, but not explosive or powerful. He sees a lot of nose tackles playing in the AFC North and he usually gets help from either of the guards to create room running inside. If isolated, he has trouble creating movement and will usually get stacked quickly. He is an adequate athlete for the center position and he can play with knee bend. He has enough quickness to climb from the combo and secure the block on a linebacker in space. He is fairly agile on the move, but lacks top body control. Ghiacuc's technique and angles are strengths to his game. In pass protection, he has good balance and recovery skills. He will get walked back by power rushers, but he shows the ability to replace his hands and sink his weight to stay in front. He has adequate change of direction and balance to slide laterally versus stunts or twist games.

Bryan Pittman

Insider Analysis

Grade 65

Expert's Take Pittman is a deep snapper/tight end who bounced around the league without catching on with a team until Houston signed him in 2003. He is not a tight end, but he has some skills as a deep snapper. He missed the last third of the 2008 season; he was suspended by the league for testing positive for a diuretic. He is an excellent worker and knows what his role in on the team. He has good velocity on his snaps and is accurate on both the short (FG) and the long (punt) snaps. He is unlikely to garner a lot of attention by other teams thanks to his league-mandated suspension, but the Texans are apt to try to re-sign him on the assumption that he can still hold his weight when he returns from suspension.

and, of course, Melvin Fowler

Insider Analysis

Grade 65

Expert's Take Fowler has been a mainstay in the middle of the Bills' offensive line, since joining the team in 2006. He has missed several starts in 2008 due to injury and inconsistent play. He has excellent quickness, balance, speed and agility to gain leverage initially off the line of scrimmage. He has quick hands and locks on well working with a low center of gravity. Fowler is intelligent and instinctive to make all the line calls as well as being able to adjust to changing defensive fronts and blitz packages. He is an effective gun-snapper, but he is more effective versus odd fronts because he lacks great size to take on powerful nose tackles. He needs help anchoring in the middle versus larger bull-rushers, but usually is crafty enough to keep the pocket firm. Fowler is extremely flexible and works with great knee bend to be effective and stay connected on the second level. He isn't a dominating player and needs to regain his high level of efficiency that he once possessed, but he has enough talent to be a starter.

That is just plain false. There are plenty of offensive linemen on the market we could bring in:

Jon Runyan

Insider Analysis

Grade 70

Expert's Take Runyan is an extremely durable RT with excellent size and strength for the position. He is a consistent player who plays physical and does a good job of controlling opponents within his frame. His foot speed and overall quickness are descending, but he takes good angles and can sustain contact with his balance and body control. As a run-blocker, he is more of a mauler than a position blocker. He does a good job of working for movement and he gives good effort to finish at the point of attack or downfield. He is better in a confined area than he is out in space. His foot speed and adjustment skills are limited versus quick players and he can struggle to adjust on the run. He is quick to set and react in pass protection. He uses his hands well to steer or punch initially, while maintaining good balance. He has to open his hips when reacting to speed rushers up field, but his long arms help him push defenders past the quarterback. Runyan occasionally gets overextended or edged by quick counter moves. A hard change-of-direction rusher can catch him off-balance with a quick move, but he usually doesn't get beaten by the same move twice.

Mark Tauscher

Insider Analysis

Grade 63

Expert's Take Tauscher has been a mainstay on the Packers' offensive line, since entering the league nine years ago. He is a hard-nosed competitor who wins with effort, intelligence and technique. He understands angles and how to gain leverage with proper hand use and body positioning. Tauscher isn't an explosive blocker off the line of scrimmage, but has strong hands to stay connected once engaged. He can anchor effectively versus power bull rushes, but tends to have a tough time blocking speed edge-rushers. Tauscher is an average overall athlete who is best in a limited area. He has good knee bend, but his lateral agility and quickness is limited in space. He is effective on combination blocks, but his lack of nimble feet will get exposed on the second level. Tauscher is also a solid reactor to stunts and twists, which enables him to be effective in both man- and zone-blocking schemes. He is a good football player who has reached his ceiling as an NFL lineman. His experience, leadership and consistency make him a player who will likely be back in a Packers' uniform in 2009.

Jonas Jennings (I know he'd be a retread)

Insider Analysis

Grade 66

Expert's Take When Jennings is on the field, Jennings shows good athleticism and flexibility, especially in pass protection. He has initial quickness and the ability to play the game on his feet. While he is shorter than you'd like for a left tackle, he does have long arms that help him compensate for his lack of length. He plays with a low center of gravity and does a good job of hunkering down to stop the bull rush. He has a tendency to lunge out after rushers and get out of control, which is surprising for a seasoned veteran. He bites versus double moves and needs to show more patience. As a run blocker, he is a wrestler type who plays with upper-body strength and does not create much movement or finish blocks great.

Terrance Metcalf

Insider Analysis

Grade 68

Expert's Take Metcalf has great power and strength at the point of attack. He is a short, powerfully built player with a low center of gravity. He works with effective pad level to engage defenders well initially off the line of scrimmage, while working his feet to get movement. He has heavy hands to deliver a punch and can stymie defenders early in the play. He can anchor well versus powerful bull rushers or clog up interior gaps with his natural girth and hand use. He is a solid technician who takes good angles and understands leverage and body positioning. Metcalf has good quickness and balance in a limited area, but does show some effectiveness on the second level. He isn't great in space, but once engaged often finishes well. He is an instinctive player who reacts to stunts and blitzes. He can pinball defenders in a limited area. He is a versatile player because he has also played the center position during his career. However, he tends to get lazy at times when he is tired and loses his base, but most often he gives great effort and is a solid football player.

Richie Incognito (what a name)

Insider Analysis

Grade 64

Expert's Take Incognito is a four-year player who started 15 games last year for the Rams. He has experience playing guard and center but last year. He has good size and strength and he plays with nasty temperament. He's an adequate athlete who plays with good initial quickness and pad level. He's an aggressive run blocker who can create movement on contact and has the ability to finish. His aggressiveness will cause him to get overextended at times, but he shows adequate recovery skills. He does a good job working double teams and providing good leg drive. He has a hard time making adjustments in space at the second level or when asked to pull, but does show awareness to wall off pursuit angles. He lacks good foot quickness in pass protection and gets caught leaning. Quick players that can change direction and work the edge of his frame can cause him problems. He has adequate success dealing with power moves, where he can lock down with his hands and control opponents within his frame.

Eric Ghiaciuc

Insider Analysis

Grade 65

Expert's Take Ghiaciuc is a four-year player who has good experience as a starting center. He has good overall quickness with adequate size and strength. He is quick off the ball and he can sustain quick angles. He is a competitive player, but not explosive or powerful. He sees a lot of nose tackles playing in the AFC North and he usually gets help from either of the guards to create room running inside. If isolated, he has trouble creating movement and will usually get stacked quickly. He is an adequate athlete for the center position and he can play with knee bend. He has enough quickness to climb from the combo and secure the block on a linebacker in space. He is fairly agile on the move, but lacks top body control. Ghiacuc's technique and angles are strengths to his game. In pass protection, he has good balance and recovery skills. He will get walked back by power rushers, but he shows the ability to replace his hands and sink his weight to stay in front. He has adequate change of direction and balance to slide laterally versus stunts or twist games.

Bryan Pittman

Insider Analysis

Grade 65

Expert's Take Pittman is a deep snapper/tight end who bounced around the league without catching on with a team until Houston signed him in 2003. He is not a tight end, but he has some skills as a deep snapper. He missed the last third of the 2008 season; he was suspended by the league for testing positive for a diuretic. He is an excellent worker and knows what his role in on the team. He has good velocity on his snaps and is accurate on both the short (FG) and the long (punt) snaps. He is unlikely to garner a lot of attention by other teams thanks to his league-mandated suspension, but the Texans are apt to try to re-sign him on the assumption that he can still hold his weight when he returns from suspension.

and, of course, Melvin Fowler

Insider Analysis

Grade 65

Expert's Take Fowler has been a mainstay in the middle of the Bills' offensive line, since joining the team in 2006. He has missed several starts in 2008 due to injury and inconsistent play. He has excellent quickness, balance, speed and agility to gain leverage initially off the line of scrimmage. He has quick hands and locks on well working with a low center of gravity. Fowler is intelligent and instinctive to make all the line calls as well as being able to adjust to changing defensive fronts and blitz packages. He is an effective gun-snapper, but he is more effective versus odd fronts because he lacks great size to take on powerful nose tackles. He needs help anchoring in the middle versus larger bull-rushers, but usually is crafty enough to keep the pocket firm. Fowler is extremely flexible and works with great knee bend to be effective and stay connected on the second level. He isn't a dominating player and needs to regain his high level of efficiency that he once possessed, but he has enough talent to be a starter.

You had me for a second until you listed Jennings and Fowler.