Mayock on Ayers

Just mentioned this in another Thread and thought it was worthy of it's own...

Mike Mayock said yesterday..."In two to three years Robert Ayers will be the best Defensive Player from this years draft." He went on to explain that Ayers has improved each year and that his upside is endless...Then Charles Davis chimed in with His knowledge of His Alma Mater and Ayers and pretty much agreed Mayock's prediction was possible...

Thoughts? :wub:

Git'r'done!

If we trade down? Yes. If we trade Peters and get an extra 1st? Yes. Straight up as the #11 selection in the draft with Brown or Orakpo on the board? No. Straight up at #11 with Brown and Orakpo gone? I wouldn't be bashing my head against the wall, but I'd be disappointed.

I've been touting him since before the senior bowl. He will be in the Haynesworth/Henderson mold and will anchor a defensive line. My "mocks" would have taken him as a sneaky steal in the third round in November, in the late second at the end of the season, in the early second to late first after the senior bowl, to someone we would take with a Philadelphia first a few days ago...to now looking like a reasonable number 11 pick. I think he's the real thing. Played on a less than effective Tennessee team and had injuries early in his career.

If we trade down? Yes. If we trade Peters and get an extra 1st? Yes. Straight up as the #11 selection in the draft with Brown or Orakpo on the board? No. Straight up at #11 with Brown and Orakpo gone? I wouldn't be bashing my head against the wall, but I'd be disappointed.

I'm so sick of seeing us get dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball I don't even care...if this guy is that good, draft the fugger. The way I see it, drafting him way too high and taking a lot of sh-- for it in the media is still better than drafting a round 1 DB no matter where we take 'em.

I've been touting him since before the senior bowl. He will be in the Haynesworth/Henderson mold and will anchor a defensive line. My "mocks" would have taken him as a sneaky steal in the third round in November, in the late second at the end of the season, in the early second to late first after the senior bowl, to someone we would take with a Philadelphia first a few days ago...to now looking like a reasonable number 11 pick. I think he's the real thing. Played on a less than effective Tennessee team and had injuries early in his career.

Amen. Already really liked him, but you and Mayock have sold me on the idea. Would like it at #11. Would LOVE it if we trade down, get extra picks, and still get him. :wub:

My whole problem with Ayers is that we need a pass rush and the guy only had 3 sacks this past season. If he can't get to the QB more than that at the college level then why is his production going to be better against the competition in the NFL? No one has been able to answer this IMO.

I really think Ayers in terms of investment value in the first round for a DL is the safest bet. I don't think he's gonna be a world beater or have a huge upside. But the kid is just solid. Kinda like a Phil Hansen type.

But I don't know if you pick him at #11. That should be a game changer. And I just don't see him as that.

My whole problem with Ayers is that we need a pass rush and the guy only had 3 sacks this past season. If he can't get to the QB more than that at the college level then why is his production going to be better against the competition in the NFL? No one has been able to answer this IMO.

That's a really good question and I haven't heard a satisfactory answer, either.

The last time the Bills drafted a DE who had all of this supposed talent, but with mediocre collegiate production, his name was Chris Kelsay. We all know how well that one turned out, though thankfully, he was picked in the 2nd and not the first.

That's a really good question and I haven't heard a satisfactory answer, either.

The last time the Bills drafted a DE who had all of this supposed talent, but with mediocre collegiate production, his name was Chris Kelsay. We all know how well that one turned out, though thankfully, he was picked in the 2nd and not the first.

Here's a possible answer. Maybe Ayers' agent paid Mayock a lot of loot to boost his player up.

GBN Report (a pretty good draft site) has Ayers going 40th overall to the Raiders. He's so all over the map with projections, which doesn't really mean much, but it does suggest that he might be available later on in the first or early second. Perhaps they'd grab Pettigrew at 11 and trade back into the end of the first round to grab Ayers.

Well...Mayock and Davis explained the lack of Sacks as a Sr. in this way...They said Ayers has VERY little experience and got a lot of attention on a Defense where He was clearly the best Player on the Field...They said He improved greatly each Year...Basically they believe in the NFL He won't get as much attention first of all, and secondly He'll continue to improve...

When Mayock makes a statement like that about a DE with only 3 Sacks in a Season...well...He HAS to know He's going WAY out on a limb about the Kid...One thing is certain...Mike Mayock thinks Ayers is the real deal...No question about it... :wub:

Kinda like a Phil Hansen type.

But I don't know if you pick him at #11. That should be a game changer. And I just don't see him as that.

we need the Bruce type, not the Phil Hansen type. We kept aiming for the Hansen type in Kelsay and Denney and you get players that are ok against the run but can't rush the passer. Hansen couldn't really rush the passer either, but he was a 3-4 end and we had Bruce and then Wiley, plus rush linebackers, to do that.

The problem is now that without a healthy Schobel we don't have anybody that we know can rush the passer (we don't know about Ellis). And Schobel is now comfortably into his 30s and has a bad foot.

GBN Report (a pretty good draft site) has Ayers going 40th overall to the Raiders. He's so all over the map with projections, which doesn't really mean much, but it does suggest that he might be available later on in the first or early second. Perhaps they'd grab Pettigrew at 11 and trade back into the end of the first round to grab Ayers.

IMO, the 'ratings' by these kind of "Mel Wanabe" publications are out of date by the time they hit the mailbox (TSN is a classic example). The real movement--up and down--happens in the last week before the draft as the smokescreens teams spread to disguise their intentions begin to clear...

I agree with you on this issue H2o. We need someone who can come in and get to the QB. I would feel much better if we took Brown or Orakpo at 11.

A potential long term investment pick? Sort of like our guy Jason Peters - who now that he has met his full potential wants out of town. YES I know Peters was a FA - but I think anyone they take in the first round has to be able to produce now.

Having said that - I am not convinced Ayers is a long term investment - but a short term turn around - and would be worth a late 1st round pick if they can trade down to take him later than #11.

I'm so sick of seeing us get dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball I don't even care...if this guy is that good, draft the fugger. The way I see it, drafting him way too high and taking a lot of sh-- for it in the media is still better than drafting a round 1 DB no matter where we take 'em.

:wub:

If the Bills did somehow end up with another later first then i would go after him. From talking to a good friend of mine who is a big Bama fan. He said the only guy Andre Smith had trouble with all year was Ayers. But i am a little skeptical of a one year wonder guy. And the fact he had only 3 sacks.