Angelo Crowell

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/apr/09/sp...ct/sports-bucs/

Quite likely Crowell's account and the Bills account differ as far as the chronology of when the subject of surgery was first brought up.

Regardless, Crowell would have been out 3-4 weeks. As I stated before, the IR move by the Bills smacked of punishment, pettiness and spite. They've carried injured players on the roster for weeks before Crowell. But Brandon was pissed off by the timing of Crowell's decision regardless of how the Bills may have been complicit in that decision.

That tough guy Brandon sure showed us...that he has another roster hole to fill.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite likely Crowell's account and the Bills account differ as far as the chronology of when the subject of surgery was first brought up.

Regardless, Crowell would have been out 3-4 weeks. As I stated before, the IR move by the Bills smacked of punishment, pettiness and spite. They've carried injured players on the roster for weeks before Crowell. But Brandon was pissed off by the timing of Crowell's decision regardless of how the Bills may have been complicit in that decision.

That tough guy Brandon sure showed us...that he has another roster hole to fill.

Pretend for a second that you're not a Bills fan:

SOMEONE ELSE: Hey, looks like Tampa signed Buffalo's Angelo Crowell.

YOU: Who?

----SCENE-----

Seriously though, it's not a hole if the guy hasn't been on the field since 2007.

I have no problem with people making a principled decision. However, if you're going to be principled as an NFL GM or similar, have winning be one of those and make decisions that support that goal. That would include your choice of head coach.

----SCENE-----

Seriously though, it's not a hole if the guy hasn't been on the field since 2007.

Amen! Absolutely THE best post ever on this tired topic.

Goodbye Angelo. Enjoy your year in Florida.

----SCENE-----

Disagree Cat. That might be the case for a casual fan but that's not me. I think the drop off from Crowell to Ellison is quite large...and now we might have to burn a draft pick unless they think that Alvin Bowen is the answer.

I have no problem with people making a principled decision. However, if you're going to be principled as an NFL GM or similar, have winning be one of those and make decisions that support that goal. That would include your choice of head coach.

Agree. And I think that Brandon's actions were not in the best interests of the team. It's his job to make decisions that are in the best interests of the team...not break out Gregg Williams' figurative bullhorn or thump his own chest.

We are all as principled as we can afford to be. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Are there any other applicable cliches I missed?

Disagree Cat. That might be the case for a casual fan but that's not me. I think the drop off from Crowell to Ellison is quite large...and now we might have to burn a draft pick unless they think that Alvin Bowen is the answer.

Agree. And I think that Brandon's actions were not in the best interests of the team. It's his job to make decisions that are in the best interests of the team...not break out Gregg Williams' figurative bullhorn or thump his own chest.

We are all as principled as we can afford to be. You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Are there any other applicable cliches I missed?

"Don't cry over spilled milk."

"Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill."

First of all, it was Ralph's decision.

Secondly, Crowell definitely is a better player than Ellison but he is severely overrated by a lot of people here. He freelances a lot. He may have made a slight difference but not that big of one.

Thirdly, it did seem like he was more worried about his free agency than helping out the team. He picked a weird time to have a surgery. i'm sure there are 2 sides to the story but if I was Ralph, I'd be pissed too.

Lastly, there are more talented LBs in this draft. Elite LBs don't sign 1 year contracts for a $1 million. Crowell seems like a good guy and i wish him well but let's move on.

But Brandon was pissed off by the timing of Crowell's decision regardless of how the Bills may have been complicit in that decision.

Do you know this for a fact, or are you just presuming that Brandon, and not Ralph, made that decision?

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that we'll be missing AC not long into the '09 campaign. And living down here in NFC South land, I'll see a fair bit of the guy most likely.

I normally agree with many things you say, but I think this one was more on Ralph than Brandon. That was the impression I got all along. There is no proof who did what, but it seems to fall under the M.O of Ralph.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that we'll be missing AC not long into the '09 campaign. And living down here in NFC South land, I'll see a fair bit of the guy most likely.

Good thing you're not a betting man. Why--after him not playing for a year--would anyone BET on him being valuable?

Good thing you're not a betting man. Why--after him not playing for a year--would anyone BET on him being valuable?

Well, four reasons: 1) He was a pretty damn good player before he got hurt, 2) He's still in his mid-20s, 3) players come back to form after knee surgery all the time nowadays, and 4) I saw Keith Ellison play last year.

Want another one? The Bills tried to keep him.

IIRC, late in the season, Cro himself said that he couldn't have played at all last year after the surgery. He couldn't practice a week or so ago and was just cleared to play for the first time.

Well, four reasons: 1) He was a pretty decent player before he got hurt, 2) He's in his late-20s, 3) players come back to form after knee surgery some of the time, and 4) I saw Keith Ellison play last year.

The Bills tried, but not that hard to keep him.

That'll do.

That'll do.

Ah, so semantics is your game, eh? I'll remember you 6-8 months from now, Big Cat!!

From the article.

That's Jauron's polite phrase for a sudden disconnect between an organization and one of its cornerstone players.

I'm not sure Crowell was a "cornerstone" player.

----SCENE-----

:wub:

IIRC, late in the season, Cro himself said that he couldn't have played at all last year after the surgery. He couldn't practice a week or so ago and was just cleared to play for the first time.

Thank you for noting that, Kelly. So much of the discussion of Crowell hinges on this phantom "3-4 week" statement, as if that were a given. He ended up needing and having much more intense surgery, he would not have been available in 3-4 weeks. Whether the Bills should have signed him anyway is another matter, but this fixation on poor Crowell being the victim of mindless pettiness has to end....

Thank you for noting that, Kelly. So much of the discussion of Crowell hinges on this phantom "3-4 week" statement, as if that were a given. He ended up needing and having much more intense surgery, he would not have been available in 3-4 weeks. Whether the Bills should have signed him anyway is another matter, but this fixation on poor Crowell being the victim of mindless pettiness has to end....

This article from this week shows that he is clearly not ready and couldn't have played last year after the surgery. He is just starting to do "football movements" now. The Bucs docs tell him in four weeks from now he should be able to run full speed.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/5376