Peters to be traded by Friday

Don

I haven't seen a shred of evidence supporting the first and third points of your supposition. He wants money. If he equates respect with the money, that's his prerogative.

But more importantly to the guy who may be signing that paycheck, there's nothing in Peters' actions that indicates that he wants to play for the Bills, which is the minimum commitment that Ralph Wilson historically needed before he signed the big paychecks.

you don't get it. It's not a matter of not wanting to play for the Bills, it's a matter of money. If the price is right for him, he'll sign. Hell, he'd go to detroit if they paid him enough, :thumbsup: it just may happen.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received a Yahoo IM from a source deeeeeeep within stating that Peters is to be dealt for similar to what the Broncos got for Cutler. This is from so deep that Dick himself is going to release a statement by weeks end prior to the deal explaining the terms

OK, so that means that the Bills will receive a servicable "system veteran left tackle" and TWO first round draft picks for Jason Peters. Yeah, sure they will. :thumbsup:

I haven't seen a shred of evidence supporting the first and third points of your supposition. He wants money. If he equates respect with the money, that's his prerogative.

But more importantly to the guy who may be signing that paycheck, there's nothing in Peters' actions that indicates that he wants to play for the Bills, which is the minimum commitment that Ralph Wilson historically needed before he signed the big paychecks.

He said before the holdout last year that he liked Buffalo. He said when he walked in last year that he was happy to be back and just wanted to get the contract thing figured out, the Bills promised him that they would talk to him about a new deal and that was fine with him and he would hold them to it. The players have said they liked him. Trent loves him (and has repeatedly said so). His agent is in ongoing talks with the team and has never made any indication his client wants out.

A lot of respect does have to do with money with these guys, but it also has to do with things like doing what you say you will do (we have never found out what the Bills promised him other than they they will discuss a new deal that made him come in last year).

Peters is not worth 2 #1's. He might fetch a late 1st and a 3rd and a player, but I'd expect less. Probably better to succumb to his will and give him a 6 year/ $60 million contract, just do it while in pre-season in Toronto so it can be signed in Canadian dollars. That's like a 6 year $40million and what he is really worth.

I think this is a good guess. Not because this is such a great option but because the other options are so bad>

Even worse, the Bills needs for solid LT play are so skewed toward a credible 09 performance (Edwards blindside must be guarded, we only are guaranteed T.O. for 09, Ralph is not gonna last forever so 09 is a priority) that drafting a player to start at LT credibly might happen but is such a remote possibility is does not even deserve the phrase upside.

C. Trade him for a solid vet LT

Fine but doubtful. What do you think the deal is and why would anyone want to trade a solid LT for Peters if you also claim he is so unsolid we should trade him.

I do not think showing him the money is a good option but it is by far the best option and I think that the Bills will take it.

And the option of moving Langston Walker to LT where he just might perform admirably as he did on a limited basis last year? It would then be a bit easier to replace him at RT than to start from scratch hunting a LT.

I agree - there are NO signs he wants to play for the Bills. He appears desperate to get out of Buffalo.

No offense Dog -- you're one of the best posters here. However, you tend to hang on to -- and stick up for -- guys who want out (or are wanted out) of Buffalo until the bitter end. McGahee, JP, Clements, etc. Sometimes, these guys want to get the hell out of Dodge, and at a certain point the negotiations become acrimonious enough that there's no turning back. I think that's the case here. The GM appears to not like the agent, the owner hates holdouts, and Peters is a not-particularly-bright, warm-weather Southern guy with a bad temper (there's a reason people say he plays with a mean streak). That's a bad combination.

IIRC, McGahee said he liked Buffalo - until he didn't. I'd be very cautious about believing the pablum these guys spew to the media. They're all coached to skirt controversy.

:thumbsup:

Just received a Yahoo IM from a source deeeeeeep within stating that Peters is to be dealt for similar to what the Broncos got for Cutler. This is from so deep that Dick himself is going to release a statement by weeks end prior to the deal explaining the terms

I'll believe it when I see it :flirt:

:wallbash:

I'll

I agree - there are NO signs he wants to play for the Bills. He appears desperate to get out of Buffalo.

No offense Dog -- you're one of the best posters here. However, you tend to hang on to -- and stick up for -- guys who want out (or are wanted out) of Buffalo until the bitter end. McGahee, JP, Clements, etc. Sometimes, these guys want to get the hell out of Dodge, and at a certain point the negotiations become acrimonious enough that there's no turning back. I think that's the case here. The GM appears to not like the agent, the owner hates holdouts, and Peters is a not-particularly-bright, warm-weather Southern guy with a bad temper (there's a reason people say he plays with a mean streak). That's a bad combination.

IIRC, McGahee said he liked Buffalo - until he didn't. I'd be very cautious about believing the pablum these guys spew to the media. They're all coached to skirt controversy.

I don't think you're remembering correctly. I thought Winfield was better than Clements and always thought Clements was good but overrated, until his last season when I thought Clements had a great year. I didn't at all think they should keep him for what he was going to be paid. I did think the Bills blew it by promising not to franchise him when they didnt have to.

JP was under contract for the Bills until this season. I think he rightfully should be gone and I never really thought they should renegotiate a contract for him. He sucked the vast majority of the last two years. McGahee I thought would be good on another team. I stuck up for him here because I thought he tried his ass off a lot of the time when a lot of posters here thought he didn't. And I thought his comments about Toronto was a joke. In fact, I thought pretty much everything he said was a joke.

I think you guys are just assuming something that has no basis in anything. The only thing we know is what he does and what he says. He hasn't shown up because he wants to be paid more than he is being offered. He has never said a bad word about Buffalo as far as I know. His agent would probably be demanding a trade if he wanted out. What little he has actually said about Buffalo has been favorable from everything I have seen. Just because he wants a ton of money says nothing about wanting out of Buffalo. It's possible he does but there is zero to base that on.

I don't think you're remembering correctly. I thought Winfield was better than Clements and always thought Clements was good but overrated, until his last season when I thought Clements had a great year. I didn't at all think they should keep him for what he was going to be paid. I did think the Bills blew it by promising not to franchise him when they didnt have to.

JP was under contract for the Bills until this season. I think he rightfully should be gone and I never really thought they should renegotiate a contract for him. He sucked the vast majority of the last two years. McGahee I thought would be good on another team. I stuck up for him here because I thought he tried his ass off a lot of the time when a lot of posters here thought he didn't. And I thought his comments about Toronto was a joke. In fact, I thought pretty much everything he said was a joke.

I think you guys are just assuming something that has no basis in anything. The only thing we know is what he does and what he says. He hasn't shown up because he wants to be paid more than he is being offered. He has never said a bad word about Buffalo as far as I know. His agent would probably be demanding a trade if he wanted out. What little he has actually said about Buffalo has been favorable from everything I have seen. Just because he wants a ton of money says nothing about wanting out of Buffalo. It's possible he does but there is zero to base that on.

Well, we'll find out soon enough, right? If he gets traded, let's bet he doesn't hold back.

It's also how he conducts himself when he's in town. All the talk to the press in the locker room are to mitigate more negative PR, rather than an honest view. Despite Trent's public support, there were more than veiled knocks on his holdout and how it impacted the team and put other players at harm.

But the biggest thing was the poor condition that he was in when he returned, and his subpar play during the season. That IMHO was the biggest slap in RW's face. Ralph has dealt with many prima dona malcontents in his life. He usually opened up the checkbook to the guys who proved their commitment to the team on the field. Peters hasn't done that.

if it were, The Dean and his minions would be all over it.

Is that an attempt at defending SKOOBY? If so, I'd like you to know that it's not allowed, and I wouldn't be surprised if you already have a lengthy PM regarding the terms of banishment.

It's also how he conducts himself when he's in town. All the talk to the press in the locker room are to mitigate more negative PR, rather than an honest view. Despite Trent's public support, there were more than veiled knocks on his holdout and how it impacted the team and put other players at harm.

But the biggest thing was the poor condition that he was in when he returned, and his subpar play during the season. That IMHO was the biggest slap in RW's face. Ralph has dealt with many prima dona malcontents in his life. He usually opened up the checkbook to the guys who proved their commitment to the team on the field. Peters hasn't done that.

I defy anyone to watch every play last year and say with a straight face that Jason Peters was no good. He was VERY good and very often dominant. He surely let about six too many single plays get by him, almost always when DE's faked him out. It wasn't being out of shape, it wasn't a lack of effort, it wasn't because he sucks. He didn't have a fabulous year but if anyone took the time to watch the actual tape, play after play after play, like I know the Bills did, he was a Pro Bowl player. If you just watch the highlights he wasnt.

The Bills apparently started negotiating at 8.5 mil a year, and IMO are very likely going to offer him 10+ mil a year. That means they think he is great, too. If he is traded, that means a team thinks he is amongst the top 1-3 LTs in the entire league. I want that guy on my team.

Simple...a 1st and a 3rd...Langston Walker let some information leak about the changes in the O-line...in an article a few days back...The front office and random players have been praising Bell and he could be a possible starter this year at RT...

even with two first rounders...possibly in this years draft...Buffalo could trade down from 11 and pick up more picks...having from 3-6 picks on the first day!

I defy anyone to watch every play last year and say with a straight face that Jason Peters was no good. He was VERY good and very often dominant. He surely let about six too many single plays get by him, almost always when DE's faked him out. It wasn't being out of shape, it wasn't a lack of effort, it wasn't because he sucks. He didn't have a fabulous year but if anyone took the time to watch the actual tape, play after play after play, like I know the Bills did, he was a Pro Bowl player. If you just watch the highlights he wasnt.

The Bills apparently started negotiating at 8.5 mil a year, and IMO are very likely going to offer him 10+ mil a year. That means they think he is great, too. If he is traded, that means a team thinks he is amongst the top 1-3 LTs in the entire league. I want that guy on my team.

Yet it took him 4 weeks to be in football shape. Yet he seemed to take plays off when it really really mattered that he didn't. He was dominant when he wanted to be and played below '07 level. He seems to be motivated only by the money, and you know very well that he won't be happy that he's not the highest paid OL in 2011. I don't want that guy on the team.

Simple...a 1st and a 3rd...Langston Walker let some information leak about the changes in the O-line...in an article a few days back..

Did you actually read the article?

“It’s just a part of the business,” said Walker. “I don’t know when free agency was enacted, but it’s just what happens. Every year you expect to lose some guys and get some new guys. All you can pretty much do is move forward.”

Walker won’t have to adjust quite as much as the man to his left, Brad Butler, who will be lined up next to new center Geoff Hangartner. The former Carolina Panther was signed the first weekend of the free agent period.

Still there will be an adjustment for Walker with respect to listening to line calls and such as they’re passed down the line.

“We haven’t really gone over exactly what the changes are (yet),” said Walker. “I’m sure it’ll be Trent’s voice I get to hear yelling at me. This is what this time of year is for to learn the new system and whatever we’re doing. Then you go into training camp and you work on it and go into the season.”

Was there some other info that Walker "leaked"?