Orlando Paces deal

With news comming out that Pace got a 3 year 15 million dollar deal in Chicago, how does that affect Peters contract negotiations?

Obviously Pace is on the downside of his career. But will this help/hurt in talks with Peters? What you guys think?

I don't think that it will affect the market for Peters ...

why wouldn't it affect his deal? let's say Peters thinks that he's twice the player that Pace is at this point in their careers (he's not!) then he should get 10 million per year. I think that's being overly generous. In my opinion Peters is being a real dick anyway, if it wasn't for the Bills taking this over weight Tight End and taking a chance on him and giving him an opportunity to play on the O-line were would he be anyway?

I wrote that the speculation last week was he'd sign a multi-year deal averaging $5 million. Some people were hoping he'd sign for near the veteran minimum.

He'll be 34 years old this year, is a shell of his former self, and has played in only 23 of his team's last 48 games. Wow, he makes more than Jason Peters. Lends a little perspective doesn't it?

why wouldn't it affect his deal? let's say Peters thinks that he's twice the player that Pace is at this point in their careers (he's not!) then he should get 10 million per year. I think that's being overly generous. In my opinion Peters is being a real dick anyway, if it wasn't for the Bills taking this over weight Tight End and taking a chance on him and giving him an opportunity to play on the O-line were would he be anyway?

He'd be a Pro Bowl offensive tackle for another team.

With news comming out that Pace got a 3 year 15 million dollar deal in Chicago, how does that affect Peters contract negotiations?

Obviously Pace is on the downside of his career. But will this help/hurt in talks with Peters? What you guys think?

It has no affect at all. Peters wants to be the highest paid LT in the league, so someone signing for less isn't going to change his stance. I wish it would, but it won't...

Pace's deal shouldn't affect Peter's negotiations - they're at totally different points in their careers.

Peter's should have learned something from last year anyway. He is a talented player, but he whined about his contract and held out, and because of that had a sub-par season. Which, by the way, doesn't really lend itself any leverage to the argument that he should be making huge money as an elite LT.

Peter's should be learning something from Lee Evans, a very talented WR who showed up for camp, showed up every week, did not have a stellar season, but was rewarded with a handsome contract extension.

The Bills brass likes players who show up, perform, and are consistent leaders. Lee could have held out and demanded more money because he's a top caliber WR, but instead he showed up every week and was rewarded with a contract extension. Maybe if Mr. Peter's payed some attention, he'd learn that showing up and performing might earn him some dollars as well?

Just my opinion. And hey, it's just one good season. I once closed a big deal at work - I didn't immediately demand a raise thinking I'm one of the best damn salesman out there.

Pace's deal shouldn't affect Peter's negotiations - they're at totally different points in their careers.

Peter's should have learned something from last year anyway. He is a talented player, but he whined about his contract and held out, and because of that had a sub-par season. Which, by the way, doesn't really lend itself any leverage to the argument that he should be making huge money as an elite LT.

Peter's should be learning something from Lee Evans, a very talented WR who showed up for camp, showed up every week, did not have a stellar season, but was rewarded with a handsome contract extension.

The Bills brass likes players who show up, perform, and are consistent leaders. Lee could have held out and demanded more money because he's a top caliber WR, but instead he showed up every week and was rewarded with a contract extension. Maybe if Mr. Peter's payed some attention, he'd learn that showing up and performing might earn him some dollars as well?

Just my opinion. And hey, it's just one good season. I once closed a big deal at work - I didn't immediately demand a raise thinking I'm one of the best damn salesman out there.

I'll bet that a competing firm didn't hire a new guy with zero experience and pay him 3.5 times as much as you either. If they did, would that change anything?

I'll bet that a competing firm didn't hire a new guy with zero experience and pay him 3.5 times as much as you either. If they did, would that change anything?

Good point. I suppose it's all relative when you look at it that way.

I think there needs to be some regard paid to the gamble that the Bills took on Peters. We took a chance on a hefty TE and turned him into a quality LT. 31 competing firms took a pass on him the first time around, when he was unproven talent.

If my firm hired me at minimal wages when I thought I was an IT person, and then sculpted me into a top class sales person, I'd have to owe some of my success to my firm taking a chance on me. I'd hope that'd make me want to show up and keep performing each day, which would make them want to pay me what a top class sales person makes in turn (possibly after I establish some consistency as well).

Something of a drawn out analogy, but the moral of the story stays the same - show up and perform, and you'll get rewarded for it.

The Pace Deal won't effect Peters negotiations whatsoever...Just completely different Players at completely different points of their careers...

I hate to sound like a broken record on this whole Peters thing...And I hope in the end I'm wrong...But My gut is telling Me Peters really does not want to be in Buffalo anymore UNLESS The Bills make him the highest paid LT in the NFL...And The Bills are not going to do that....So it's My opinion that regardless of the arguments on both sides of this thing, there is only going to be one logical conclusion...Peters will be shipped out prior to the 09 Draft and hopefully for a 1st and a 3rd Round Pick...

We'll see soon enough...I hope I'm wrong to be honest...I hope they can come to their senses on both sides and meet in the middle...I just doubt it's going to happen...Had Peters shown up for the Voluntary Workouts I might have changed My mind on The Bills stance because that is what they want out of Him...They want Peters to show them He WANTS to be in Buffalo...And Jason KNOWS THIS!!! So by not showing up Peters is all but saying He wants out...Just My opinion... :thumbsup:

It won't affect it at all. Peter's has based his demands solely on the contract of #1 overall pick Jake Long so it doesn't matter what happens otherwise. I'm still amazed at the fools on this board who just repeat "just pay him" over and over...

The one other way the Pace deal could help the Bills somewhat, is now there are no other big name LT left. This could help slightly. Pace aknowledged that Philly had made him an offer. A trade for Peters could be more likely now. Philly can either wait for the draft or make a trade for Peters. They are out of any other FA options at this point i believe. I am sure there are some C list quality guys still around. But if Philly wants a LT with a resume and doesn't mind paying for him, Peters is there guy.

Not at all. Peters has it in his mind, thanks to his agent, that he should be the highest paid OT in the league. I love the fact that Madden 09 dictates the OT pay scale in the NFL. Peters was named to the Pro Bowl twice, loves that recognition, but has yet to play a down in a Pro Bowl. His play last year didn't warrant a Pro Bowl selection. If they could trade him, and get at least a first rounder and some other picks, I'd welcome a trade. He is going to become even more trouble this season, and with T.O. on board, the Bills do not need that. He is not the best tackle in the NFL. He deserves more than what he's getting paid, but not top dollar.

Not at all. Peters has it in his mind, thanks to his agent, that he should be the highest paid OT in the league. I love the fact that Madden 09 dictates the OT pay scale in the NFL. Peters was named to the Pro Bowl twice, loves that recognition, but has yet to play a down in a Pro Bowl. His play last year didn't warrant a Pro Bowl selection. If they could trade him, and get at least a first rounder and some other picks, I'd welcome a trade. He is going to become even more trouble this season, and with T.O. on board, the Bills do not need that. He is not the best tackle in the NFL. He deserves more than what he's getting paid, but not top dollar.

The problem is that Peters' agent will use the Bills' own words against them. They'll find every press clipping, every internet quote, every comment from anyone from the Front Office in which team officials refer to Peters as one of the top OTs in the game. Sort of a "You said it, now own up to it" kind of game. Once you're in that position as a team, it's difficult to make the player happy unless you back up your words and pay the guy.

The two are not related. Pace, who I consider the best LT ever, is clearly on the way down. Peters is a kid. Remember when Wolford lost a step and became a very goog guard? I doubt if Pace, who seems like to like a good party, kept himself in that kind of conditon but you never know.