Larry, Moe, and Curley

/dev/null

Wow...do you hate Moms? Puppies? the Higher Power? How can anyone hate the 3 stooges?

Even when I was a kid, I thought they were kind of lowbrow... they just weren't funny. Gimmie the Marx brothers or the Little Rascals any day! Ugly, loud and obnoxious rarely makes me laugh, only turn the channel...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even when I was a kid, I thought they were kind of lowbrow... they just weren't funny. Gimmie the Marx brothers or the Little Rascals any day! Ugly, loud and obnoxious rarely makes me laugh, only turn the channel...

Yeah, I'm with you. I never got it. My taste in humor favors the surreal. I've never gone for physical humor.

You're dead to me.

<_<

Seriously though, what is the appeal? I've asked this of a lot of my friends and I never get a solid answer.

"What's so funny about the Three Stooges?"

"What do you mean? It's the Three Stooges!"

Like you, I don't find low-brow physical comedy all that appealing, and tend toward the more surreal and intellectual...but, some of the best Stooges bits are really funny, IMO.

With the best Stooges stuff, though, there is more than simply slapstick going on. There is a lot of comedy of the absurd happening, and of course, there is some pretty good verbal stuff, too"

Moe: "Burnt toast and a rotten egg? Whatta ya want that for?"

Curly: "I got a tapeworm and that's good enough for him!"

I'd agree that a lot of the Stooges later stuff is pretty bad, and they don't hold a candle to the Marx Brothers.

:nana:

Seriously though, what is the appeal? I've asked this of a lot of my friends and I never get a solid answer.

The Stooges are a mixture of the characters self centered scam artist personalities with a caring heart for others. They often find themselves in situations way over their heads and are merely trying to cope with that. They are the perfection of physical slapstick comedy. There are very few in their league for that. They are friends that make you wonder why they're friends at all and that's a part of the absurdity. Some of their stuff is great satire and others just stupid unapologetic humor. If they didn't invent the pie fight they certainly perfected it. Their line delivery is spot on and their characters are loathsome and endearing.

That's what is great about the Stooges IMO. They are just plain funny.

The Stooges are a mixture of the characters self centered scam artist personalities with a caring heart for others. They often find themselves in situations way over their heads and are merely trying to cope with that. They are the perfection of physical slapstick comedy. There are very few in their league for that. They are friends that make you wonder why they're friends at all and that's a part of the absurdity. Some of their stuff is great satire and others just stupid unapologetic humor. If they didn't invent the pie fight they certainly perfected it. Their line delivery is spot on and their characters are loathsome and endearing.

That's what is great about the Stooges IMO. They are just plain funny.

I guess that is why I don't like them. Slapstick just doesn't make me laugh, unless there is some sort of relatable human element to it. I think Jackie Gleason and Art Carney were amazing at "slapstick", becuase their characters on the "Honeymooners" had some depth. The Stooges are just, well, kinda dumb, like "Threes Company" is dumb. I know it is heresy, but I can't stand "I Love Lucy" for the same reasons. It is just irritating to me, not funny.

I guess that is why I don't like them. Slapstick just doesn't make me laugh, unless there is some sort of relatable human element to it. I think Jackie Gleason and Art Carney were amazing at "slapstick", becuase their characters on the "Honeymooners" had some depth. The Stooges are just, well, kinda dumb, like "Threes Company" is dumb. I know it is heresy, but I can't stand "I Love Lucy" for the same reasons. It is just irritating to me, not funny.

The Honeymooners is a great, great sitcom but I'd never include it in a slapstick category. There was very little slapstick in my opinion.

Maybe I didn't explain my point very well, Deano. My comment referred only to remakes. My "reissued popular product vs. nothing" wasn't meant to mean we should be happy with recycled goods over new, fresh ideas. All I was trying to convey was that I'd rather a new version of something I loved come out (The Three Stooges) than not have anything on them come out at all.

If I'm a huge fan of the "Alien" series (the Sigourney Weaver movies, I mean), then I'm happy when they make a new Alien vs. Predator movie. It's probably going to be a disaster, but I'd rather roll the dice there than never see new material in that story again.

Does that make sense?

And of course, I'd rather new, creative ideas come out before they resort to recycles. My comments were aimed more at the "why ruin a good thing?" crowd. I don't see how this ruins anytihng and it has the potential to add to the legacy.

Just thought I'd take the opportunity to say, I'm so glad the rich material in the original The Fast and the Furious is being mined, once again. :nana:

The Honeymooners is a great, great sitcom but I'd never include it in a slapstick category. There was very little slapstick in my opinion.

Some of Art Carney and Jackie Gleason's most memorable moments from the show were "slapstick"....

Not exactly apples-to-apples.

Now if you compare stooges,

Curley, Larry, and Moe > Fergy, RJ, and Drew :nana:

Oh yeah, Moe's lecture at UB in 1975(?) right before he passed away was just AMAZING... the huge room was packed-to-the-gills and it was also shown elsewhere on campus thru closed-circuit TV... still the longest and loudest standing ovations I've ever heard.

Oh yeah, Moe's lecture at UB in 1975(?) right before he passed away was just AMAZING... the huge room was packed-to-the-gills and it was also shown elsewhere on campus thru closed-circuit TV... still the longest and loudest standing ovations I've ever heard.

That is something I would love to hear...

That is something I would love to hear...
Someone somewhere has gotta have a tape of it. He was cool as all hell, same haircut except totally white, and very lucid (more like Levy than Ralph lol). He gave a brief talk, then they showed a couple shorts (Slippery Silks was the 1st one, then I think part of one was dubbed in another language.. showing world-wide appeal), and then he took questions-and-answers written down by the audience. Best one was from this one guy who said it would be a great honor if Moe would pie him... the guy came up, Moe took a look & said you could get hurt with that, in the movies, we didn't use real pies. The guy said he didn't care, do it! so Moe just plowed him & he went flying off the stage! I also remember him choking up when someone asked him how Curly died... pretty touching. I think he was blown away by all the love for him & the Stooges in the room, people were just going crazy!

:nana:

What's so great about the Mona Lisa? What's so great about the Beatles? What's so great about Beef on Weck? What's so great about Niagara Falls? NIAGARA FALLS!!! Slowly I turned...step by stepp...inch by inch....