Bell

Donahue was right on point with Mike Williams?

And McNally retired in April of 2007. Kuegler has worked with Peters for two seasons. His first probowl year and last year. Yes McNally did play a big part but so has the current regime.

McNally worked with Peters during his first Pro Bowl year. Last year Peters didn't deserve it. I believe that's because he missed so much time in the off/pre-season, but it's still a concern.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dick says so...

Jauron revealed that backup tackles Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell are candidates to fill the vacancy at left guard created by Derrick Dockery’s release. The coaches believe Chambers can make a smooth transition inside. Bell, a seventh-round draft pick last year, spent much of his rookie season at guard on the scout team in practice.

Chambers and Bell could rotate back to tackle if needed, said Jauron, who added that veteran Jonathan Scott, who was signed last December, adds to the depth at tackle.

“We’re in pretty good shape,” Jauron said of the offensive line. “We’ve got to get more quality numbers. We’ve got the draft and we’ll keep looking around in the free agent market.”

link

In coach speak, that means Bell's nowhere near ready and Chambers is just another guy...

If I had said an UDFA TE would become our franchise LT you'd think I was high. So never say never.

PTR

IIRC, Peter's was considered as high as a third round pick by draftnics and analysts the year he came out. His UFA status came about because there was uncertainty over which position he could play, his low Wonderlic and the fact he would need time to develop. I don't think Bell had any of those factors tied to him...

IIRC, Peter's was considered as high as a third round pick by draftnics and analysts the year he came out. His UFA status came about because there was uncertainty over which position he could play, his low Wonderlic and the fact he would need time to develop. I don't think Bell had any of those factors tied to him...

Of course then again Peters never played the OL before he came to the Bills either. Bell at least has a few years of experience and is impressing the staff. :thumbsup:

Its not what he has done to show me. Its if the Bills coaches think he is ready. These are the same guys who saw it in Peters. I have no clue if he is ready. Nor did any of us know who the heck Peters was when they signed him to Undrafted Free Agency contract in 2005.As far as taking that risk. I am saying it might not be a choice. If Peters' deal can get worked out, then it might be one you are forced into.

As far as this season goes Walker did a good job starting for Peters last year, if i remember correctly. My whole point here is that if Peters isn't here for one reaosn or the other. The team may have some options

Your wrong about that. If you watched college football you would of known who Jason Peters was. I was absolutely amazed that noone drafted this kid coming out of Arkansas. The upside on him seemed so obvious.

Do yourself a favor, if it ever comes on again, ESPN Classic every once in awhile will play the Arkansas/Kentucky game 03 that went to 7 overtimes. JP was a man among boys that day. I think he had 3 or 4 td catches.

Once interesting side note to that game. George Wilson had 200 yards receiving & 1 td also for the hogs.

You are right. Bell is probably atleast a little smarter then Peters. But Bell needed more time to develope strength. Which it sounds like he is doing. He was very athletic comming out of college like Peters and had good footwork.

Your wrong about that. If you watched college football you would of known who Jason Peters was. I was absolutely amazed that noone drafted this kid coming out of Arkansas. The upside on him seemed so obvious.

Do yourself a favor, if it ever comes on again, ESPN Classic every once in awhile will play the Arkansas/Kentucky game 03 that went to 7 overtimes. JP was a man among boys that day. I think he had 3 or 4 td catches.

Once interesting side note to that game. George Wilson had 200 yards receiving & 1 td also for the hogs.

No kidding. There was a LOT of pre-draft Peters talk. I was shocked when he went undrafted, and even more so, then the Bills signed him UDFA. Peters was going to be playing in the NFL somewhere, it isn't as if the Bills were the only team who knew of him, or were willing to give him a chance.

No kidding. There was a LOT of pre-draft Peters talk. I was shocked when he went undrafted, and even more so, then the Bills signed him UDFA. Peters was going to be playing in the NFL somewhere, it isn't as if the Bills were the only team who knew of him, or were willing to give him a chance.

For teams not to even take a flier on this guy in the 6th or 7th round was unbelievable. Sometimes I wonder what these GMs & scouts are getting paid for.

For teams not to even take a flier on this guy in the 6th or 7th round was unbelievable. Sometimes I wonder what these GMs & scouts are getting paid for.

What's even more amazing is that in his rookie year the Bills had to pass him through waivers in order to place him on the practice squad. So that was yet another chance for 32 teams to pluck him.

On top of that, any member of a practice squad can be signed by any team. There are no exclusive rights for a team with a player on its practice squad. So there were multiple chances for other teams to take Peters from the Bills.

Incidentally the 4-time Pro Bowl guard that Bills fans are clamoring for in a trade, Brian Waters, was also undrafted as of course was 2008 Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison who has been cut 4 times in his career and spent two seasons on the Steelers' practice squad.

Tis not an exacting science, this player evaluation stuff.

dick says so...

“We’re in pretty good shape,” Jauron said of the offensive line. “We’ve got to get more quality numbers. We’ve got the draft and we’ll keep looking around in the free agent market.” [/i]

link

Does anyone but me find these statements baffling ? "we are in pretty good shape" Really ? We are woefully short on the OL both in terms of starters and depth. How on earth can anyone, let alone the HC, think we are anywhere close to "good shape". What is his definition of that term anyway.

"we will keep looking in FA" Sounds so passive that it is sickening. How much looking have we done so far and what has stopped us from getting Goff or trading for Waters ?

Does anyone but me find these statements baffling ? "we are in pretty good shape" Really ? We are woefully short on the OL both in terms of starters and depth. How on earth can anyone, let alone the HC, think we are anywhere close to "good shape". What is his definition of that term anyway.

"we will keep looking in FA" Sounds so passive that it is sickening. How much looking have we done so far and what has stopped us from getting Goff or trading for Waters ?

:censored:

It's not as well known as it should be here, that you had a front row seat to Jauron's flame out in the windy city. You and me both know that what Dick Jauron does best is come up with baffling answers to questions posed to him. If he mentions how "hard it is to win in the NFL" again, I'm hoping that one of the reports will shove his head through a wall.

Why is Chris Kelsay and his big fat contract still on this team? Why have they not traded for a probowler like Waters when they have players they can deal to KC. Kelsay? Chambers? Bell? Absolutely nothing will change until this man is fired and they hire a front office that actually knows what it's doing. Here's your 2009 Buffalo Bills, celebrating mediocrity since 2006!

The voice of reality here. If Bell were worth a schitt, he'd have seen significant playing time last year. It aint like any of the phat fux on the oline played well.

Furthermore... ditto on Chambers... who supposedly is penciled in at LG. If he were any good, he would have supplanted Dockery during last season. It ain't like the Bills decided Dockery sucked in mid February. They knew he was toast and could have benched him in midseason if they had a better alternative. They didn't then, and they don't now.

The voice of reality here. If Bell were worth a schitt, he'd have seen significant playing time last year. It aint like any of the phat fux on the oline played well.

You mean like Peters did his rookie season? :censored:

:censored:

It's not as well known as it should be here, that you had a front row seat to Jauron's flame out in the windy city. You and me both know that what Dick Jauron does best is come up with baffling answers to questions posed to him. If he mentions how "hard it is to win in the NFL" again, I'm hoping that one of the reports will shove his head through a wall.

Why is Chris Kelsay and his big fat contract still on this team? Why have they not traded for a probowler like Waters when they have players they can deal to KC. Kelsay? Chambers? Bell? Absolutely nothing will change until this man is fired and they hire a front office that actually knows what it's doing. Here's your 2009 Buffalo Bills, celebrating mediocrity since 2006!

Yes, because Jauron is the ONLY person who makes personnel decisions at OBD. Coaches don't pick the players, they make due with the ones the FO has signed and given them. How did this thread start turning into a Jauron bashing thing anyway? The fact is, Bell seems to be making a solid impression and he may see some time. Chambers would likely be serviceable at guard, but that wasn't Jauron's point. Try reading between the lines. What he's saying is, the starters we have are okay, not great, but okay. That's not a terribly incorrect statement. Assuming Peters starts, the line is, well, okay, with Peters-Chambers-Hangartner-Butler-Walker. Not the best line-up ever, but not the worst in the league either. And Jauron stated that Buffalo intended to see if there were other options in FA. Isn't that what everyone here's been whining about for the last week, that the Bills aren't looking around in free agency? Now they say they are and people are complaining that the coach is an idiot for looking into the FA market. Let's see where we are after the draft before we say the team sucks and it's all Jauron's fault.

Yes, because Jauron is the ONLY person who makes personnel decisions at OBD. Coaches don't pick the players, they make due with the ones the FO has signed and given them. How did this thread start turning into a Jauron bashing thing anyway? The fact is, Bell seems to be making a solid impression and he may see some time. Chambers would likely be serviceable at guard, but that wasn't Jauron's point. Try reading between the lines. What he's saying is, the starters we have are okay, not great, but okay. That's not a terribly incorrect statement. Assuming Peters starts, the line is, well, okay, with Peters-Chambers-Hangartner-Butler-Walker. Not the best line-up ever, but not the worst in the league either. And Jauron stated that Buffalo intended to see if there were other options in FA. Isn't that what everyone here's been whining about for the last week, that the Bills aren't looking around in free agency? Now they say they are and people are complaining that the coach is an idiot for looking into the FA market. Let's see where we are after the draft before we say the team sucks and it's all Jauron's fault.

don't mind him, he's got nothing constructive to offer.

Now if you feel like killing yourself, well that's another story.

I agree 100% that the OL is scary thin. Trust me, if you and I are talking about it on TBD then the FO is also aware of it. I wouldn't read to much into Jauron's comments. No team representitive is going to tell it like it is, at least publicly. A head coach is always going to dance around a team's weakness and prop up a strength. This way he doesn't insult current players on his roster and create anymore doubt amongst fans. The FA ranks are pretty thin and trades aren't always easy. It looks like we will be filling the LG/C hole in the draft as well as more OL depth. It is not as bad as it sounds. In recent years the O-line seems to be a spot you can find immediate help in regards to the draft. This years crop seems to be rich in OL talent as well.

You mean like Peters did his rookie season?

No... not at all. Do your research. Peters caught a TD on a tackle eligible play in the season opener in his rookie season. He also saw a lot of action on special teams too... blocking a punt against Cincy that went for a TD.

Bell hardly saw the field. Peters saw t a lot as a rookie. So much for your fantasy. keep it real.