Bell

The voice of reality here. If Bell were worth a schitt, he'd have seen significant playing time last year.

Horrifically wrong. Simply untrue.

Now, I will be surprised if Bell becomes anything more than adequate depth on the OL, but what happened last year is basically meaningless.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No... not at all. Do your research. Peters caught a TD on a tackle eligible play in the season opener in his rookie season. He also saw a lot of action on special teams too... blocking a punt against Cincy that went for a TD.

Bell hardly saw the field. Peters saw t a lot as a rookie. So much for your fantasy. keep it real.

Ah, so Peters playing ST's and TE (i.e. NOT OT) is the big difference? Good one. :censored:

Does anyone but me find these statements baffling ? "we are in pretty good shape" Really ? We are woefully short on the OL both in terms of starters and depth. How on earth can anyone, let alone the HC, think we are anywhere close to "good shape". What is his definition of that term anyway.

"we will keep looking in FA" Sounds so passive that it is sickening. How much looking have we done so far and what has stopped us from getting Goff or trading for Waters ?

I guess you missed the pre-draft coach speak talk above here: "Black is white, right is wrong, we're satisfied with our O-line..."

Horrifically wrong. Simply untrue.

Now, I will be surprised if Bell becomes anything more than adequate depth on the OL, but what happened last year is basically meaningless.

I hope you underestimate him, but the odds of you being correct are high. A few great guards came out of nowhere (Larry Little for example), but LTs are another story.

Sometimes I don't think that fans understand how getting Peters was all but impossible. He was a udfa, AND we cut him at one point. If Bell turns out to be a good guard, this would be a score and a half.

Btw, we need to keep our fingers crossed, because Chambers was MUCH better at OT than guard imo. He has range and finesse. He isn't a mauler. And, I obviously don't trust the man who may or may not have "final say" on draft day to get us a productive offensive lineman. Do you?

I hope you underestimate him

Oh, me too. And the staff is said to be quite high on him, so he may turn out to be decent. But, it is as unrealistic to assume he will be as good as Peters, as it is stupid to dismiss him because he didn't bet playing time, last year.

IIRC, Peter's was considered as high as a third round pick by draftnics and analysts the year he came out. His UFA status came about because there was uncertainty over which position he could play, his low Wonderlic and the fact he would need time to develop. I don't think Bell had any of those factors tied to him...

But Bell has a famous father who played in the NBA

He must be good :censored:

Oh, me too. And the staff is said to be quite high on him, so he may turn out to be decent. But, it is as unrealistic to assume he will be as good as Peters, as it is stupid to dismiss him because he didn't bet playing time, last year.

Pennington was real good too--

right up to when they cut him after starting at RT for half a season.

Pennington was real good too--

right up to when they cut him after starting at RT for half a season.

Which, of course, adds nothing to discussion of what, if anything, Bell will become.

What is so special about Peters? :censored: Seriously.

Here it is my dear sweet friend....

Jason Peters has tight end agility. He weighs at least 330, and I would bet my last dollar that he is easily the strongest man on the Bills. I once heard Dockery (who despite listed weights, probably outweighs Peters by 30 or even 40 pounds) on Sirius Radio marvel at his strength and call him "the franchise."

When in form, Peters can just push defenders away by extending his very long, strong arms and take them out of the play. All that and he is young, with the potential to get even better as he gets more experience. Other than injury, the only thing that can hurt Jason Peters is Jason Peters. He needs to focus, come to camp and get in shape. If he does, he is a talented enough man to be a better LT than Will Wolford.

Jmo....and you did ask. :D:blush:

The voice of reality here. If Bell were worth a schitt, he'd have seen significant playing time last year. It aint like any of the phat fux on the oline played well.

Furthermore... ditto on Chambers... who supposedly is penciled in at LG. If he were any good, he would have supplanted Dockery during last season. It ain't like the Bills decided Dockery sucked in mid February. They knew he was toast and could have benched him in midseason if they had a better alternative. They didn't then, and they don't now.

I thought Chambers looked better than Dockery in the games he played. He was a better in both the running and passing games. He deserves a shot to win the job in camp regardless of whether we bring someone in or not. Remember that Jabari Greer was buried on the bench until injuries gave him a shot.

Dr Tooth. Maybe he was not worth a 'schitt' last year. Thats why he did not play. But he was not drafted to play last year. He was drafted as a 'project'. Like most 7th rounders. I am sure someone here could find the percentage of 7th rounders that last in the league longer then 2 years. The question isn't how was he last year but how has he been developing. By your rational Tom Brady shouldn't have been 'schitt' because he didn't play at all is first season. He was inactive for the first 14 games in 2000 the year he was drafted. But he turned out ok right?

Which, of course, adds nothing to discussion of what, if anything, Bell will become.

True but I agree with your earlier statements - saying our OL is acceptable now and going into the season hoping Bell will pan out is a strategy fraught with extreme risk. We need to assume we need help and not hope that we will luck out with Bell as we did with Peters. A feel-good story like Peters' happens very rarely and a mediocre franchise should not enter a season hoping lightning will strike twice in such a short span.

True but I agree with your earlier statements - saying our OL is acceptable now and going into the season hoping Bell will pan out is a strategy fraught with extreme risk. We need to assume we need help and not hope that we will luck out with Bell as we did with Peters. A feel-good story like Peters' happens very rarely and a mediocre franchise should not enter a season hoping lightning will strike twice in such a short span.

Without question.

Chambers and Bell could rotate back to tackle if needed, said Jauron, who added that veteran Jonathan Scott, who was signed last December, adds to the depth at tackle.

Ironically Jonathan Scott is still on Detroit's website - maybe there is a webmaster slower than Bills'?

http://www.detroitlions.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=385&season=8

I remember seeing him in 2006(?) as a rookie and thought he was not bad prospect of Lions. He is a good player for goal line situations considering his wingspan if he can stay healthy.

IIRC, Peter's was considered as high as a third round pick by draftnics and analysts the year he came out. His UFA status came about because there was uncertainty over which position he could play, his low Wonderlic and the fact he would need time to develop. I don't think Bell had any of those factors tied to him...

That proves draftnics and analysts are often wrong, that is all.

I wanted the Bills to take Peters in with their 4th, I was surprised when he wasn't drafted but happy the Bills got him as a free agent, Peters ran 4.8-4.9 at around 317lb give or take 5lb - He was a dominate blocker as a tight end, why wasn't he drafted? 1. He didn't have a set position OT, OG, DT, TE were all mentioned as possible positions 2. had a poor written test and work ethic was not impressive 3. As a OT he didn't have optimum height and wing span, as a TE he was considered slow, and their was questions about his toughness and aggressiveness for OG and DT.

The NFL in general is risk aversive and they look for reasons not to draft people more than they look for reasons to draft someone.

Bell has very nice athletic abilities (college basketball team) but is not a huge guy 6,5 305, had less than average weight room strength (10 reps 225) coming in- the word from the Bills is he is a very hard worker and has really improved his strength- the guy is really raw only three years of college football and only two at OT, he did make all American his last year- didn't know Bell until the Bills drafted him but found video on him at draftguys also an interview - they had a lot of nice things to say about him and I thought he came off well on his interview- liked what I saw in training camp but we haven't seen him against any teams starters let alone top ten DEs.