preston

per rotoworld:

Packers coach Mike McCarthy revealed that the team is strongly interested in free agent G/C Duke Preston.

Preston visited the Raiders earlier in March, but they're probably no longer interested after acquiring Samson Satele. A 6'5/326-pounder with some athleticism, Preston would provide competition for smallish C Scott Wells.

not saying I thought he did a good job last year, but we are losing OL like flies. We need to sign someone other than Hangartner and resign Peters

per rotoworld:

Packers coach Mike McCarthy revealed that the team is strongly interested in free agent G/C Duke Preston.

Preston visited the Raiders earlier in March, but they're probably no longer interested after acquiring Samson Satele. A 6'5/326-pounder with some athleticism, Preston would provide competition for smallish C Scott Wells.

not saying I thought he did a good job last year, but we are losing OL like flies. We need to sign someone other than Hangartner and resign Peters

I am wondering just how strong the interest be, given that free agency has been in full swing for quite some time.

Personally, I hope that Green Bay grabs him. He gets shoved around on passing downs, and makes up for it by having no push on running plays.

I am wondering just how strong the interest be, given that free agency has been in full swing for quite some time.

Personally, I hope that Green Bay grabs him. He gets shoved around on passing downs, and makes up for it by having no push on running plays.

I love it Bill. Duke Preston is the perfect symbol of why the Bills have been so mediocre to poor this whole decade. Does he god awful suck? No, not really. But is he good at all? No. Has he shown any upside to becoming a legitimate starter in the NFL? NO. The guy has been marginal his entire career with the Bills, and we have played way too many marginal guys for too many years. We should let him walk and find someone who is at least DECENT, and has upside to be very good. Too many Buffalo Bills have low ceilings when it comes to talent. That culture needs to change. Say goodbye to the Duke. (And thanks for getting in that fight at the end of the first half against the Pats-brilliant move)

I love it Bill. Duke Preston is the perfect symbol of why the Bills have been so mediocre to poor this whole decade. Does he god awful suck? No, not really. But is he good at all? No. Has he shown any upside to becoming a legitimate starter in the NFL? NO. The guy has been marginal his entire career with the Bills, and we have played way too many marginal guys for too many years. We should let him walk and find someone who is at least DECENT, and has upside to be very good. Too many Buffalo Bills have low ceilings when it comes to talent. That culture needs to change. Say goodbye to the Duke. (And thanks for getting in that fight at the end of the first half against the Pats-brilliant move)

If they sign him for anything but a backup I'll agree with you.

Agreed. I don't buy the "experience" angle either. He does have experience.....bad experience. He is an experienced bad player. I don't think that they could do much worse with a kid out of college who as you say, at least might not suck.

Totally agree. These low expectations that have allowed Duke Preston to start for us are evident at other positions as well: Royal as a starting TE, Ellison, Ko Simpson,and most of all, Turnstile Kelsay at DE. Ineptitude disguised as starting caliber players. Hence, 7-9.

Wasn't Preston the starting center went the Bills rushed for 161 yards against teh Jets and 187 against the Pats with absolutely no passing attack? I'm not saying he is great by any means but I would gladly welcome him back as a backup. And for all the grief about the fight he got in with the Pats* before halftime, I kinda liked it. We've taken to much crap from them over the years and it was time to push back. The refs should have stopped it like they do every other time.

Yet, every time a marginal ex-Bill ends up doing well (or not sucking) on another, successful team, the Wall is full of posters screaming on how stupid the Bills were to get rid of him (Leonhard, Gandy, for example).

EVERY team has a few "marginal" players. Of course, it is better to replace them with better players, but sometimes it doesn't pay to take a gamble on a player who might completely suck, and be of no help whatsoever.

If the Bills don't re-sign Preston, fine...no biggie, really. But, that means there is yet another hole to fill...a backup who can, adequately, fill in at Center and Guard. That's what he is to the Bills...depth, backup. Hopefully, they replace him with better depth...but, IMO, that isn't a given.

EDIT: BTW, if the Bills draft a center early, or pick up a starting guard, and Hangartner becomes the depth, then they have found a better backup, already.

Yet, every time a marginal ex-Bill ends up doing well (or not sucking) on another, successful team, the Wall is full of posters screaming on how stupid the Bills were to get rid of him (Leonhard, Gandy, for example).

EVERY team has a few "marginal" players. Of course, it is better to replace them with better players, but sometimes it doesn't pay to take a gamble on a player who might completely suck, and be of no help whatsoever.

If the Bills don't re-sign Preston, fine...no biggie, really. But, that means there is yet another hole to fill...a backup who can, adequately, fill in at Center and Guard. That's what he is to the Bills...depth, backup. Hopefully, they replace him with better depth...but, IMO, that isn't a given.

EDIT: BTW, if the Bills draft a center early, or pick up a starting guard, and Hangartner becomes the depth, then they have found a better backup, already.

Center is a very tough position to play against the Jets, Pats and Phins. You're going against really big strong guys. If Preston were playing in another division against 4-3 tackles and of the quicker lighter types like the Bills use, he might be decent. Looks to me like Center on the Bills might be the most important spot on the line and you have to have an animal in there to get it done.