Anyone concerned about EDWARDS this season

Let me put out a post with a different perspective. Trent Barely threw 350 time last season and he didnt even play a full season. He has problems with his throwing shoulder that was thought to need surgery but later it was called shoulder fatigue. Now if he has only played 13 1/2 games last season and throwing barely 350 times, How do you think his shoulder is going to hold up under a full season (doubtful he makes it through a full season) with the potential of throwing the ball even more now that he has TO in the mix.

I dont know about you, BUT I AM VERY CONCERNED i do not want FITZY in there at all!!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Trent proves he can stay healthy, which he hasn't done since maybe high school, we should be worried. Not to mention, we should be worried until he proves he can be consistent on the field when he is healthy too. I second the notion that Fitz should stay on the sideline with his helmet off and a clipboard in his hands. He will do less damage that way.

To preface my comments, I like Trent Edwards, but also have concerns. My concerns are that the offensive line won't hold a pocket and he will be on the ground more times than we can count. I believe that many of his health problems have come from being on teams that can't protect him. It's possible that he will have an injury ridden career despite a good OLine, but I feel he needs the opportunity to stay off his back before anything is decided.

Actually, the WORST thing that could happen is that Trent turn in a JP-from-2006-like performance. That is, that he plays decently at times, but also shows a tendency to stink it up. In that way, we know no more about him than we do now -- and we head into 2010 STILL not knowing whether he is the QB of the future or not. Of course, in hind-sight the coaching staff probably DID know what they had in Losman after 2006 -- after all, they drafted Trent the following year. I view 2009 for Trent as being like Rob Johnson's 2001: this is his year to prove that he is definitely the QB of the future. The team has given him every opportunity to succeed: no other QB looking over his shoulder, a deep WR corp and a quality RB tandem -- the only question is whether or not the OL can hold up.

To preface my comments, I like Trent Edwards, but also have concerns. My concerns are that the offensive line won't hold a pocket and he will be on the ground more times than we can count. I believe that many of his health problems have come from being on teams that can't protect him. It's possible that he will have an injury ridden career despite a good OLine, but I feel he needs the opportunity to stay off his back before anything is decided.

This is the primary issue. Apparently the FO doesn't realize that defensive backs can't protect the QB.

At this point in the teams futility, Edwards is merely a pimple on the ass of our problems; O-Line, Pass Rush, Troubled RB, No TE, ETAL...I'll worry about Edwards when he crumbles, but at this time, there are too many holes in the hull to worry about one that has not sprung yet...

Sure, I have concerns about Edwards' health, and ability. I think this should be the year he steps up, or out, as the Bills' QB.

I like that the Bills are making some moves to make a fair evaluation possible...but, if the don't shore up the o line, and call a competent offensive game, it won't make that much difference, IMO. But, I expect the team to make moves in both areas.

As for Fitz, I actually think he will be a fine #2. If the Bills do improve the line, and get a clue about offense, expect to be pleasantly surprised by the #2 QB, if he gets the call, for any reason.

My concern is his confidence. That Cleveland night game he was afraid to throw the ball downfield. if he can't get away from checking down every dropback, we have a problem.

Sure, I have concerns about Edwards' health, and ability. I think this should be the year he steps up, or out, as the Bills' QB.

I like that the Bills are making some moves to make a fair evaluation possible...but, if the don't shore up the o line, and call a competent offensive game, it won't make that much difference, IMO. But, I expect the team to make moves in both areas.

As for Fitz, I actually think he will be a fine #2. If the Bills do improve the line, and get a clue about offense, expect to be pleasantly surprised by the #2 QB, if he gets the call, for any reason.

Let me put out a post with a different perspective. Trent Barely threw 350 time last season and he didnt even play a full season. He has problems with his throwing shoulder that was thought to need surgery but later it was called shoulder fatigue. Now if he has only played 13 1/2 games last season and throwing barely 350 times, How do you think his shoulder is going to hold up under a full season (doubtful he makes it through a full season) with the potential of throwing the ball even more now that he has TO in the mix.

I dont know about you, BUT I AM VERY CONCERNED i do not want FITZY in there at all!!!!

I'm more worried about him getting whatever injury, rather than just his shoulder. Like billsfreak said, he's had only one injury free year since high school.

I'm more worried about him getting whatever injury, rather than just his shoulder. Like billsfreak said, he's had only one injury free year since high school.

Though some may have trouble wanting to admit it, Edwards is a great player (when he is in there) but the simple fact is he meets an objective standard this fan uses to label a player as injury prone.

My standard is that when a player loses playing time 3 times in 2 seasons to injuries to different parts of his body I think they deserve the unfortunate label of being injury prone (they can be knocked out of the game not simply to a nagging injury which might be protected or avoided such as when Kelly wore a flak jacket, but have a body that comes down with serious ouchees to different parts of their bodies.

In 2 scant years we have seen Edwards:

1. Miss PT due to an elbow injury which actually left him benched even after he healed because JP got on a winning streak in 07.

2. He missed a game in pre-season of 08 due to a different reported injury (I do not remember specifically what it was but it was not the elbow again). Particularly for a young QB developing chemistry with his teammates, missing even on game of pre-season is important.

3. He got knocked out with a concussion for several games last year.

One could make the claim that technically the loss of PT in pre-season does not qualify as a true loss of PT as perhaps if it was not pre-season he would have played. Still, due to the import of pre-season to a new QB to the team and even to pro football (he had way less than a full season of starts at the time) relying on this is a mere technicality.

He is no RJ yet (he was so injury prone one could not count on him as a starter despite his obvious talents) but one would have to be a fool not to simply assume at this point that your #2 QB is gonna be your #1 for at least 3 games this season if we are lucky.

I'm very concerned that, if he doesn't get off to a fast start, his confidence will wane. Also concerned about his long-ball accuracy. Also very concerned about his ability to play in bad weather/cold weather. Extremely worried about his ability to finish a season w/out injury, since he hasn't been able to the last six years.

And just plain bothered that his favorite actress is Dakota Fanning. That' just freakin' weird.

With JP gone and no QB controversy, this has to be Edwards 'breakout year'. If he fails, the Bills need to go in a different direction. The Bills should get ready for that possibility, and grab Graham Harrell with a mid-round pick.

but one would have to be a fool not to simply assume at this point that your #2 QB is gonna be your #1 for at least 3 games this season if we are lucky.

Indeed. Actually, I think every forward thinking team should plan for that likelihood.

My concerns about Edwards are the following:

1. Downfield passing ability: this is a 2-parter, and has nothing to do with perceived arm strength. The first part is his willingness to throw downfield. At some point, he's gotta put the ball out there. We saw last season you simply cannot survive and be successful by never challenging teams deep. The second part is his deep passes. Trent's deep passes, for whatever reason, need some work. They need to be better timed and the ball needs to hit the WR in stride. Too many times our WR's have to stop and wait or come back to the occasional deep ball thrown by edwards.

2. Injury factor: Trent needs to find a way to stay healthy for 15-16 games every year. He has yet to demonstrate this ability. Sure, QBs get hurt. But in a league where teams are so close at season's end, its very tough to be successful if you can only count on your starting QB for 11-12 games.

3. Passing TDs: Trent needs to find a way to put the ball in the endzone a lot than he's been doing. I'm not saying he needs to be a mad bomber and toss 30 TDs per year, but he needs to get to a point where he's consistently throwing at least 20-22 TDs per season. His current rate of 18 TDs in 23 games needs to improve. (For comparison's sake, i count Trent's first start at NE and the arizona game last year as 1 game combined). What i find very disturbing is that Trent has thrown multiple TDs in only 3 of his 23 career games. Tossing more than 1 TD once every 8 games simply isn't going to cut it at the QB position in the NFL.

I'm very concerned that, if he doesn't get off to a fast start, his confidence will wane. Also concerned about his long-ball accuracy. Also very concerned about his ability to play in bad weather/cold weather. Extremely worried about his ability to finish a season w/out injury, since he hasn't been able to the last six years.

And just plain bothered that his favorite actress is Dakota Fanning. That' just freakin' weird.

With JP gone and no QB controversy, this has to be Edwards 'breakout year'. If he fails, the Bills need to go in a different direction. The Bills should get ready for that possibility, and grab Graham Harrell with a mid-round pick.

Does the fact that he beat Denver and the "great" Jay Cutler in Denver serve even a little bit to diminish your fear of cold weather thing? No? OK, let's go to your next point.....

I agree with you that virtually all teams should grab a qb every year in the mid rounds. There is little risk in doing so and if he develops, you either play him or capitlize on his enormous (as compared to other positions) trade value. <_<

Does the fact that the Bills , with Edwards at QB, beat Denver and the "great" Jay Cutler in Denver serve even a little bit to diminish your fear of cold weather thing? No? OK, let's go to your next point.....

Fixed.

Yes, Trent looked good in that game, especially in the 2nd half, if I recall correctly. And, is that the game where it appeared he didn't wear a glove on his throwing hand? I think that might have been earlier in the season. But, in one cold game, he looked very good without the glove, I think.

My concerns for Trent are this (and most of these are things every young QB needs to improve on):

1. He needs to make up for his marginal arm strength with quick decisions and field vision. Once he got rattled, this area of his game greatly diminished and he needs to improve this. He has to improve on his speed of progressing through his reads and that means a better understanding of the defense.

2. He needs to stay healthy of course.

3. He MUST get his confidence back. He clearly became gun shy last year and that results in bad sacks, fumbles, late throws, and checking down when you had open options in other parts of the field. Not to mention, if he isn't pulling the trigger with WR’s open, then T.O. is going to eat this kid alive.

4. He has to protect the ball, especially in the pocket. 15 turnovers in 12.5 games is too much (especially with only 11 TD's), and 9 fumbles (5 lost) is too much in 12.5 games. This will likely improve if he can improve in the areas mentioned above.

5. He must improve on his horrid first half performance. He has a 1st quarter rating in the 50's and that just isnt going to work. He has to find a way to get off to a better start and start putting up some points. He had only 3 TD's all year in the first half...that isnt going to win us many games unless our D is dominating the game.

Most of this comes with more experience and continuity in the same system. The confidence is something he must find within himself though, so hopefully he shakes off last year and finds it. I do think T.O. is the perfect fit to help develop Trents game in terms of what he brings as a WR.

Does the fact that he beat Denver and the "great" Jay Cutler in Denver serve even a little bit to diminish your fear of cold weather thing? No? OK, let's go to your next point.....

I agree with you that virtually all teams should grab a qb every year in the mid rounds. There is little risk in doing so and if he develops, you either play him or capitlize on his enormous (as compared to other positions) trade value. <_<

lmao...one, a QB doesnt play a team all by himself...two, he only had 1 TD, so lets not over play is performance.

More importantly, why is it that people on this board like to define or evaluate a player off a single game? They do it with players at various positions on our team and even on players on other teams. One game does not define a player...I mean Great players can have Bad games and Bad players can have a Great game, its just one game right/

Now if he could just schedule the worst defense in the history of organized sports every time it got a little nippy out we'd be all set.

That plus hope Jackson runs 82 yards of an 85 yard "TD pass".

You may need to rethink that, Sen:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap?game_i...p;override=true

The only game in Denver colder than Sunday's 17-degree reading at kickoff was a game against San Diego on Dec. 10, 1972, when it was 9 degrees. ... The Bills went 4-0 against AFC West teams this season. ... Bailey picked up his second career sack and first since his rookie season in 1999. ... Lynch injured a shoulder in the second half.

EDIT: I see you DID rethink that Sen, and deleted your post.

You may need to rethink that, Sen:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap?game_i...p;override=true

EDIT: I see you DID rethink that Sen, and deleted your post.

Yes, my bad - thought I could get it off the board before anyone pounced on me, but you're just to quick for me! <_<

Apologies to Bill if he saw it - and, if he didn't, I have no idea what you're talking about. :wallbash:

With the weapons Trent has, what kind of a season are we calling breakout. Just improvements, are mediocre numbers considered breakout considering his previous stats. I think with the WR core and RB tandem we have he needs to put up TOP numbers, being ranked 10-20th isnt going to cut, he needs to be easy top 10 in every category.

This is what I think his MINIMUMS are

YDS- 3700+

Comp %- 65

Yds/Game- 240+

TD- 24+

INTs- 14-

QB Rating- 90+

These numbers will put him in the top 8-10 QB's, which he needs to be atleast with the weapons available, anything short of TOP 10 play is easily unacceptable to me, and I think I am giving him a lot of wiggle room here, all things considered

With the weapons Trent has, what kind of a season are we calling breakout. Just improvements, are mediocre numbers considered breakout considering his previous stats. I think with the WR core and RB tandem we have he needs to put up TOP numbers, being ranked 10-20th isnt going to cut, he needs to be easy top 10 in every category.

YDS- 3700+

Comp %- 65

Yds/Game- 240+

TD- 24+

INTs- 14-

QB Rating- 90+

These numbers will put him in the top 8-10 QB's, which he needs to be atleast with the weapons available, anything short of TOP 10 play is easily unacceptable to me, and I think I am giving him a lot of wiggle room here, all things considered

It would be really nice if he achieved your user name a couple times.

two, he only had 1 TD, so lets not over play is performance.

What if he had 0 TDs and he still led the team to a win? We were talking about a kid throwing on the road in awful weather, right? Isn't winning the idea?

Thanks for making my point. Nothing that Trent ever does will be enough, or even a good start for you fantasy football generals and/or Losman baton twirlers.

Espn and the media put so much pressure on QBs to be great quickly and it has infected the fans. Favre, Rivers, Warner, Rodgers, Hasselback, Romo all sat years before they were good/great. The Chargers and their fans were ready to run Brees out of town! Then the fans thought the Chargers made a mistake letting Brees go and next thing you know Rivers had the best year of any QB in the NFL last year!

I think it's fine to be concerned because he is largely unproven. He will be a third year pro who has looked good and bad...kind of like a QB in his second year always looks. I do think he has done enough good on the field to be optomistic. That being said, he has always been very brittle and has looked bad in cold weather so there is major cause for concern. This is his year to prove himself, he has the weapons, hopefully the Oline will be able to protect him and the running game to be successful. If he gets hurt for an extended period of time, looks lost or can't play in the cold well then...(GULP)......

YDS- 3700+

Comp %- 65

Yds/Game- 240+

TD- 24+

INTs- 14-

QB Rating- 90+

Good point. That should be the absolute minimum. Let's not think about winning games, just fantasy number while playing in the elements of Orchard Park, NY.

Freaking unbelieveable.

What if he had 0 TDs and he still led the team to a win? We were talking about a kid throwing on the road in awful weather, right? Isn't winning the idea?

Thanks for making my point. Nothing that Trent ever does will be enough, or even a good start for you fantasy football generals and/or Losman baton twirlers.

Huh? All I was saying throwing 1 TD against the worst D in the league in cold weather doesnt define you as a great cold weather player...and he hasnt exactly been stellar in some other cold weather games...

Here is the best part of this (unrelated to you Bill)...Magox crucifies Cutler in that game and says we won becuase Cutler gave the game away, but in other arguments props up Edwards as the reason we won that game...lol.

I think that was uncalled for, Bill. And, once again, you can't fight the urge to introduce Losman into a conversation that has NOTHING to do with him. Horrible!

He simply pointed out that Edwards didn't beat the Pats, the Bills did. And, while I think Trent had a fine game, and looked good in the 2nd half, your "kid throwing on the road, in awful weather" comment looks pretty stupid in light of Cutler's 25-45, 359 yard performance in that same "awful weather".

Of course the win is what is important, and Trent was the QB on the field that day. Let's not pretend he put the team on his back, and out gunned Cutler, though.

Your a better poster when you don't try to guess what someone means, and when you keep your hatred of JP and Levy in check, IMO.

Good point. That should be the absolute minimum. Let's not think about winning games, just fantasy number while playing in the elements of Orchard Park, NY.

Freaking unbelieveable.

so you are saying with TO Evans and Reed lining up out wide it is acceptable for TE to put in the same lack luster performance, and turn over the ball. If Lindell makes that fieldgoal against Cleveland, does that make TE's play acceptable. We won so he did his job.

If you have a top flight wr core, you need to put up top flight performances, otherwise you are not utilizing the potential output of the team.

If Edwards throws for 3000 yards, 1 game over 300, and we go 10-6 is that ok, superstar recievers and mediocre QB play...c'mon. It is not all about the stats, but with a top 3 recieving corp, he should be easily able to put up top 10 wb numbers, and thats all those numbers I listed are, top 10 qb numbers.

exceptable request

I think that was uncalled for, Bill. And, once again, you can't fight the urge to introduce Losman into a conversation that has NOTHING to do with him. Horrible!

He simply pointed out that Edwards didn't beat the Pats, the Bills did. And, while I think Trent had a fine game, and looked good in the 2nd half, your "kid throwing on the road, in awful weather" comment looks pretty stupid in light of Cutler's 25-45, 359 yard performance in that same "awful weather".

Of course the win is what is important, and Trent was the QB on the field that day. Let's not pretend he put the team on his back, and out gunned Cutler, though.

Your a better poster when you don't try to guess what someone means, and when you keep your hatred of JP and Levy in check, IMO.

We dont always agree Dean (although I think most of the time we do) but you always remain objective and make good posts. You are spot on with your post above and that was exactly what my point was.

YDS- 3700+

Comp %- 65

Yds/Game- 240+

TD- 24+

INTs- 14-

QB Rating- 90+

The only "weapon" added has been TO.

And I assuming your acceptable level of performance is a joke. Jim Kelly didn't have a "breakout year" by your standards until 1991---and it was quickly downhill from that solitary peak, I guess.

This "cold weather" nonsense is getting old. Edwards is no worse in the cold than our last 3 or 4 QBs. Also, if you cared to look, after his awful 1st Q in Cleveland, he played nearly mistake free ball for rest of his games--i.e., he learned to protect the ball.

His main issue will be one of confidence. I bet he would feel more confident with a competent OC helping him through his development, instead of one who is trying to figure out how to be an OC.

How are you enjoying your Trent Edwards blowup doll? :thumbdown:

YDS- 3700+

Comp %- 65

Yds/Game- 240+

TD- 24+

INTs- 14-

QB Rating- 90+

Hey why not go a step further and say, if he is not inducted into the hall of fame after this season, it's unacceptable :thumbdown:

I agree with you that virtually all teams should grab a qb every year in the mid rounds. There is little risk in doing so and if he develops, you either play him or capitlize on his enormous (as compared to other positions) trade value. :thumbdown:

Get off of whatevevr your smoking the Broncos beat themseleves they had twice the offense we did and we were put in shortfield situaions and if it wasnt for the 5 yards pas that turned into 65 yards by Jackson we wouldnt be talking about that game where trent had pedistrain numbers compared to his counterpart IN THE SAME WEATHER!!!!

numbers arent exact, just a frame of refrence as to where I think we should be to be considered par. asking an offense to be in the top 10 in all facets of the passing game when you have a high caliber wr corps is not an unacceptable request. TE can put up mediocre/sub par numbers when we start winning 12+ games a season.

Is it ok for him to be ranked bottom half of the league again for an overall mediocre season, after adding TO, c'mon. we all have high expectations with our recent aquisition, and we need to opperate like we have a HIGH POWERED OFFENSE, because WE HAVE A HIGH POWERED OFFENSE

You are starting to sound like Flutie with your, the "team" loses, but Trent Edwards wins games rhetoric.

I've got $100 that says Bill can't even make it 25 posts here on the main board without some reference to either JP Losman, or Levy/Jauron and drafting DBs.

YDS- 3700+

Comp %- 65

Yds/Game- 240+

TD- 24+

INTs- 14-

QB Rating- 90+

Dude, if you don't watch it, Trent is going to get a restraining order against you. Do you have Trent pillow cases and a blow up doll with a #5 jersey on?

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but what the hey... :thumbdown:

I get the distinct feeling that Trent isn't as driven as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were in their younger days. I'm sorry, but I don't see him putting in the necessary overtime during the offseason to learn, work and train towards becoming the best QB in the game. I seriously wonder if he's all that into football. I definitely don't get the feeling he loves the game. Trent realizes that this is what he does best so this is what he's doing, but all things being equal he would take being a professional baseball player or a professional golfer in a heartbeat over playing professional football. He hates cold weather and hates to get hit. I get this from TE's sideline demeanor, post game press conferences, interviews and general lack of being around Buffalo when the final whistle blows in the final game. Either he overcomes the doubts in 2009 or him and his dunderhead of a head coach hit the road for good after this season.