Jets trying to acquire Cutler- bad news for the division

From NFL.com:

Eric Mangini was fired as the New York Jets’ coach after a disappointing conclusion to the 2008 season, but he could become a key factor in what would be the team’s biggest acquisition since, well, Brett Favre.

Close to one year after he welcomed Favre’s short stay in the Big Apple, Mangini could help facilitate a deal that would put disgruntled Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler in green and white, Rich Cimini writes in Thursday’s New York Daily News.

Cimini suggests that the Jets have two of the three pieces required to make a move for Cutler — the salary-cap room and the draft picks. But the third element, a tradeable quarterback, is something that might require the help of a third team. Enter Mangini and his new team, the Cleveland Browns, who Cimini notes has two starting quarterbacks.

“The former Jets coach has two viable quarterbacks, Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, neither of whom has received an endorsement from Mangini. Quinn might be appealing to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels because he played at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis, who used to work with McDaniels in New England. Quinn is well-versed in the Weis/Patriots offensive system, which McDaniels will use in Denver.

“That means the Browns could emerge as the third team in a potential three-way trade. The main components of a three-way deal would be the Jets getting Cutler, the Broncos getting Quinn and the Browns getting a premium draft pick (or picks) to help their rebuilding process. Without Mangini, the Jets would be hard-pressed to swing the deal.”

please give me a break, they couldn't make the playoffs with favre, I highly doubt that they'll make it with Cutler. Cutler the last 2 seasons, have been a 3 game wonder. Jets Offense isn't that explosive then the Broncos offense under Mike Shannahan. Mike Shannahan has been a offensive master, but has had crappy defense the past several years. Jets bought in a Defensive minded head coach. I don't know how well, he's gonna fair with the jets offense. They gotta great running game with Washington and Jones, But the passing game was off, towards the end, last season.

That would be more of what has been going on since the 2008 season ended, the 3 other teams in the AFC East getting better while we decline and create more holes than we are filling. If the Jets were to get Cutler, and with the unknown status of Brady's knee, he may be the best QB in the division (obviously not if Brady is back 100%). The poster that says he is a 3 game wonder, and the Jets wouldn't make the Playoffs with him if they didn't with Favre, needs to look closer. At this stage of their careers, Cutler is far better than Favre. The Denver defense did nothing to help Cutler, even less than Buffalo's defense did for Edwards. He is a Pro Bowl caliber QB without any question.

please give me a break, they couldn't make the playoffs with favre, I highly doubt that they'll make it with Cutler. Cutler the last 2 seasons, have been a 3 game wonder. Jets Offense isn't that explosive then the Broncos offense under Mike Shannahan. Mike Shannahan has been a offensive master, but has had crappy defense the past several years. Jets bought in a Defensive minded head coach. I don't know how well, he's gonna fair with the jets offense. They gotta great running game with Washington and Jones, But the passing game was off, towards the end, last season.

They did beat us twice last year with Favre. Favre looked like a guy who stayed in football a little too long, IMO. I'm not talking Willie Mays too long, but a shell of his old self. Even his teamates have taken a few shots at him after the season ended. Cutler would be an upgrade over a broken down Favre and certainly an upgrade over what they have now. Lets hope it doesn't happen.

The Broncos are going to trade Jay Cutler for Brady Quinn? B-)

McDaniels might automatically like Quinn (even though he stinks) because of he was coached by a guy that McDaniels used to work with and played in a similar offense (and mostly stunk)? :P:lol:

Mangini is going to help the Jets get a franchise quarterback? :lol: :lol: :lol:

From NFL.com:

Eric Mangini was fired as the New York Jets’ coach after a disappointing conclusion to the 2008 season, but he could become a key factor in what would be the team’s biggest acquisition since, well, Brett Favre.

Close to one year after he welcomed Favre’s short stay in the Big Apple, Mangini could help facilitate a deal that would put disgruntled Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler in green and white, Rich Cimini writes in Thursday’s New York Daily News.

Cimini suggests that the Jets have two of the three pieces required to make a move for Cutler — the salary-cap room and the draft picks. But the third element, a tradeable quarterback, is something that might require the help of a third team. Enter Mangini and his new team, the Cleveland Browns, who Cimini notes has two starting quarterbacks.

“The former Jets coach has two viable quarterbacks, Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, neither of whom has received an endorsement from Mangini. Quinn might be appealing to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels because he played at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis, who used to work with McDaniels in New England. Quinn is well-versed in the Weis/Patriots offensive system, which McDaniels will use in Denver.

“That means the Browns could emerge as the third team in a potential three-way trade. The main components of a three-way deal would be the Jets getting Cutler, the Broncos getting Quinn and the Browns getting a premium draft pick (or picks) to help their rebuilding process. Without Mangini, the Jets would be hard-pressed to swing the deal.”

There is nothing of substance in that article...its from the rumor section of cnnsi.com and provides no evidence of Jets interest in Cutler...its the writers speculation and even further guess work that Mangini would have to help them out and make it a 3 way trade becuase the Jets dont have the ammo to pull this trade off as Denver is beleived to want a young QB in return IF they even decide to make a move.

This article is pointless...its all speculation...

Bring him on

We whooped the Broncos last year with Cutler

I'm with ya, Bills brother. I'm tired of these wimpy posts about how scary all these other teams are. "Oh no! The Jets are gonna get Cutler! Waaah!"

Plant his ass in the turf a few times.

I'm dying to see his "stronger than Elway" arm test the gales in November (my apologies to Gordon Lightfoot). I've seen Elway's passes look like wouned ducks in high winds. I don't think he'll be any different.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks, nucci, considering the day I am having I really needed that.

B-)

Now back to me just plain being an idiot.

:P

I hope you took it in fun. I wasn't trying to be an ass. (Though I do come across as one often!!)

I'm with ya, Bills brother. I'm tired of these wimpy posts about how scary all these other teams are. "Oh no! The Jets are gonna get Cutler! Waaah!"

I'm dying to see his "stronger than Elway" arm test the gales in November (my apologies to Gordon Lightfoot). I've seen Elway's passes look like wouned ducks in high winds. I don't think he'll be any different.

GO BILLS!!!

HaHaHa You are so Brave! B-)

Bring him on

We whooped the Broncos last year with Cutler

damn right. I think this might be a good move for the Bills, since Cutler likes to throw picks and we play a cover 2... We also have a decent secondary and Cutler would throw to who exactly? Keller and Leon Washington!? They could bring in Kelly Holcomb to do that!

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. Whenever the Jets, Fins, or Pats* make a free agency move or trade, everybody here just assumes that they got miles better. I read a post about all the moves that the Pats* are making and how they're automatically going to be the class of the East again, as if Galloway is obviously still an impact WR and Leigh Bodden is suddenly a coverage god.

The Broncos are going to trade Jay Cutler for Brady Quinn? B-)

McDaniels might automatically like Quinn (even though he stinks) because of he was coached by a guy that McDaniels used to work with and played in a similar offense (and mostly stunk)? :P:lol:

Mangini is going to help the Jets get a franchise quarterback? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cimini has an active imagination, no?

damn right. I think this might be a good move for the Bills, since Cutler likes to throw picks and we play a cover 2... We also have a decent secondary and Cutler would throw to who exactly? Keller and Leon Washington!? They could bring in Kelly Holcomb to do that!

Uh, Cutler liked to throw picks and we played a cover 2 last year.. when he threw for 359 yards against us, scoring 2 touchdowns and only turning it over once.

that's my point. He played well and we still won. Wait til he has a bad day. Also, the Jets do not have the Bronco's offense and they don't have a Mike Shannahan.

Not scared.

He didn't play well enough on defense and I honestly believe Cutler's inability to make a tackle is what is holding him back.

I hope the Jets get Cutler. In an offense far inferior to the Broncos, with poorer WRs and without Shanahan, expect the TDs to drop significantly and the INTs to stay high (and perhaps increase). Regular calls for his head by the fans, and the press, could send sensitive little Jay off the deep end. How DARE they question his ability, or suggest he be sat/traded?

That meltdown could be a lot of fun to watch.

Our pathetic offense also scored 50 points on their even more pathetic defense. It wasn't all Cutlers fault we beat their *sses.

That's true, in the end, it was the Bills offense scoring on the Denver D. But, Cutler tried to throw the game away, on a number of occasions, and made some of the worst decisions I have seen, by an NFL QB. The Bills could have had 2-3 more INTs in that game, as I recall.

That's true, in the end, it was the Bills offense scoring on the Denver D. But, Cutler tried to throw the game away, on a number of occasions, and made some of the worst decisions I have seen, by an NFL QB. The Bills could have had 2-3 more INTs in that game, as I recall.

What did he do exactly, that makes you rate them some of the worst ever? I don't recall seeing him do anything that other qb's haven't done before him. Including all of the greats. It's a little nitpicky Dean. He made some bad throws, but they all do. Let's not get carried away.

I hope the Jets get Cutler. In an offense far inferior to the Broncos, with poorer WRs and without Shanahan, expect the TDs to drop significantly and the INTs to stay high (and perhaps increase). Regular calls for his head by the fans, and the press, could send sensitive little Jay off the deep end. How DARE they question his ability, or suggest he be sat/traded?

Cutler vs. the New York media maelstrom. You're right, that could be amusing.

I don't. I am very certain they will suck with Kellen Clemens and very likely finish beneath the Bills. With Cutler they could be anywhere from 7-7 to 12-4, even though I think Cutler is very erratic. He would, after awhile, implode in NYC. But it may not be in year one, kind of like TO.

Why is that? Are you actually suggesting that Favre is a better QB than Cutler at this point in their respective careers?

Apparently you haven't seen either guy play much. Cutler was a 3 game wonder? He had eight 300 yard games last year...Favre had ZERO. He also had 8 games with a rating over 90. Meanwhile, Favre put up a couple early games last year with big TD #s and then did nothing. His performance in the last five weeks of the season almost singlehandedly murdered the Jets playoff chances (and Mangini's job).

The point is this: If the Jets get Cutler, it fills their one huge hole and is very bad for the Bills.

What did he do exactly, that makes you rate them some of the worst ever? I don't recall seeing him do anything that other qb's haven't done before him. Including all of the greats. It's a little nitpicky Dean. He made some bad throws, but they all do. Let's not get carried away.

I didn't say he was among the worst ever, or that the throws were bad. I said he made some of the worst decisions I have ever seen. I would have to re-watch the game, to get specific, but I remember thinking that while I was watching the game, and posting something here. I think one or two others, noticed the brain-fart plays, as well.

The thing is, when I have seen Cutler play, I've noticed him make those mental mistakes on a regular basis. Given that he had the ideal situation, for a young QB...the best possible coach, and fine WRs and offensive line...I think he is behind the curve in the mental aspects of the game.

He can throw the ball, though.

The simple fact that Josh McDaniels considered trading Jay, and obviously thinks Cassal is a better QB, should speak volumes. McDaniels may not turn out to be a great HC, but I wouldn't question his ability to judge QBs.

I don't. I am very certain they will suck with Kellen Clemens and very likely finish beneath the Bills. With Cutler they could be anywhere from 7-7 to 12-4, even though I think Cutler is very erratic. He would, after awhile, implode in NYC. But it may not be in year one, kind of like TO.

I don't assume they will go into the season with Clemens as the QB. They can't be that stupid, can they?

I don't assume they will go into the season with Clemens as the QB. They can't be that stupid, can they?

Mangini might have been, if Favre hadn't decided to unretire. Ryan, I'm not so sure about ... but he did watch the Ravens win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, remember.

Mangini might have been, if Favre hadn't decided to unretire. Ryan, I'm not so sure about ... but he did watch the Ravens win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, remember.

True dat, Lo.

I didn't say he was among the worst ever, or that the throws were bad. I said he made some of the worst decisions I have ever seen. I would have to re-watch the game, to get specific, but I remember thinking that while I was watching the game, and posting something here. I think one or two others, noticed the brain-fart plays, as well.

The thing is, when I have seen Cutler play, I've noticed him make those mental mistakes on a regular basis. Given that he had the ideal situation, for a young QB...the best possible coach, and fine WRs and offensive line...I think he is behind the curve in the mental aspects of the game.

The simple fact that Josh McDaniels considered trading Jay, and obviously thinks Cassal is a better QB, should speak volumes. McDaniels may not turn out to be a great HC, but I wouldn't question his ability to judge QBs.

I watched the game as well and did see the bad decisionmaking on a handful of plays. I just think that Cutler's play gets ripped far too much. The guy comes across as someone that is easily disliked and many fans bash his play because of his personality. I don't see this juggernaut denver offense running without him either. Shanhan had alot of years to sprinkle his genius over Qbs since Elway and this kid finally made it work, again. Shanahan sings his praises every time he has a microphone in his face and thinks the kid has all-time talent. I've heard it repeated many times too. Josh McDaniels wanted his boy in town and is already on the hot seat before his first draft.

Great minds think alike ... and according to our man Graham, so do yours and K.C. Joyner's:

ESPN.com: Don't be so sure Cutler makes Jets better

Cutler has amassed some gaudy stats in his three NFL seasons, but there are some other numbers -- the kind you won't find on the back of his football card -- that has one analyst warning the Jets to steer clear of the risk-taking gunslinger.
Favre led the NFL with 22 interceptions, but Joyner found Cutler's ratio of passes that were intercepted or almost intercepted was 8.1 percent -- higher than Favre's 8.0 percent.

But what really scares Joyner is what he calls his "bad-decision metric."

"Bad decisions are defined as when the quarterback does something ill-advised with the ball that leads to either a turnover or a near turnover," Joyner explains. "Some common instances of this include staring at receivers and not seeing linebackers in a passing lane."

Cutler made 30 bad decisions, accounting for 4.6 percent of his passes. Favre made 21 bad decisions, or 3.7 percent.

Joyner's conclusion?

"Jets fans, if you liked what you saw out of Favre last year, Cutler's your guy," Joyner writes.

Here's Joyner's post over at The Fifth Down, the NY Times NFL blog.

I don't understand the fascination with Cutler. He seems to be an average QB to me. He made the Pro Bowl, but from what I can tell it was more because of poor competition than outstanding play. Once he is away from the Denver offense, or more accurately, Shanahan's offense, he won't be the same QB.

He will look mediocre against the Pats and probably about the same as Jets and Dolphins.

He will also most likely have major problems handling the NY media, He isn't mature enough to handle that pressure.

He would be happy to get away from Rivers though.

Great minds think alike ... and according to our man Graham, so do yours and K.C. Joyner's:

ESPN.com: Don't be so sure Cutler makes Jets better

Here's Joyner's post over at The Fifth Down, the NY Times NFL blog.

This is what I've been arguing feverishly for the last week.

He has been atrocious when they needed him most. You couldn't have any more clear cut must win games than what he had last year.

Three games to go, All they needed was one win. It was an epic meltdown not just from the Broncos, but from their supposed leader. I am not just opinionating, but I am stating facts, he had three of his more mediocre games of the year during that stretch. Grant it, the defense totally let them down, but last I remember, he had qb ratings of less than 75 in each of his last three games, 2 T.D's and 4 int's, and should have had even more int's.

I've always thought he was a baby, and now he is showing his true colors again.

Now he is young, and the decision making and attitude department is an area that he can mature and better himself in. If he is able to improve in both those area's he would be an elite qb.

I don't believe he would be able to take the criticism of the N.Y media. He doesn't have thick enough skin to deal with it.

I don't see it as a good fit.

Having said all that, I hope he doesn't go to New York.

He is much better than what they all ready have, he is dangerous, he can put up some yards and points, and when he is on target, he is one of the best in the game. I hope we don't have to deal with him twice a year. I like the prospects of dealing with Clemmons more so than Cutler.

This is what I've been arguing feverishly for the last week.

He has been atrocious when they needed him most. You couldn't have any more clear cut must win games than what he had last year.

Three games to go, All they needed was one win. It was an epic meltdown not just from the Broncos, but from their supposed leader. I am not just opinionating, but I am stating facts, he had three of his more mediocre games of the year during that stretch. Grant it, the defense totally let them down, but last I remember, he had qb ratings of less than 75 in each of his last three games, 2 T.D's and 4 int's, and should have had even more int's.

I've always thought he was a baby, and now he is showing his true colors again.

Now he is young, and the decision making and attitude department is an area that he can mature and better himself in. If he is able to improve in both those area's he would be an elite qb.

I don't believe he would be able to take the criticism of the N.Y media. He doesn't have thick enough skin to deal with it.

I don't see it as a good fit.

Having said all that, I hope he doesn't go to New York.

He is much better than what they all ready have, he is dangerous, he can put up some yards and points, and when he is on target, he is one of the best in the game. I hope we don't have to deal with him twice a year. I like the prospects of dealing with Clemmons more so than Cutler.

Here you go again Magox...if you are going to bash the guy, at least give him his proper stats...he accounted for 4TD's and 4INTs during your fabled 3 game stretch, yet you contstantly report 2. He had over 350 yards passing and 2 rushing TD's against us...

He is also the 2nd highest rated QB in the NFL during the 4th quarter in his 2 seasons as a starter...he is also amongst the higherst rated QB's when the game is within 16 points...his QB rating drops heavily when his team is down more than 16 points and it accounts for MOST of his turnovers...

What this tells me is that he tries to do too much when playing with a big deficit...probably forces too many throws trying to get his team back in the game...but when the game is close (within 16 points) he has been pretty good and very consistent.

And for the last time, if you are going stomp your feet about how young Trent is, you gotta do the same for Cutler. He has only 2 seasons under his belt as a full time starter, has seen his #1 wideout miss games, lost every RB he had on his roster, and has had to CARRY the team as the defense was amongst the worst in the league.

And Shannahan gets too much credit for Cutler...its been a while since he was considered an offensive genius, and he is better known for making RB's into studs, not QB's...in fact, he failed with everyone but Elway, and he didnt make Elway. In fact, Elway got his ring because Shannahan brought a dominant running game in the name of Terrell Davis.

His decision making WILL get better with experience, and he is already a better decision maker than Trent who turns the ball over at a rate of more than 48% more than Cutler...