Well, isnt that "special"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the whole thing for the first time. The funny thing to me is that, counting the monumentally stupid thing he said about the special olympics, I guarantee you his handlers thought the whole thing overall was a homerun. Counting the backlash. They would do it again tomorrow and regardless of the stupid gaffe, the net result with the general public was priceless.

Sure the people that hate him will still hate him and laugh at the gaffe. But Joe Public won't care about it and will see the whole thing completely differently. I actually thought he did poorly at times trying to explain things. But overall that appearance will do him way more good than bad. I bet his staff is thrilled with the result. And would do it again in a second every day. The thing ended with Leno gushing that this was one of the best days of his life.

I just watched the whole thing for the first time. The funny thing to me is that, counting the monumentally stupid thing he said about the special olympics, I guarantee you his handlers thought the whole thing overall was a homerun. Counting the backlash. They would do it again tomorrow and regardless of the stupid gaffe, the net result with the general public was priceless.

Sure the people that hate him will still hate him and laugh at the gaffe. But Joe Public won't care about it and will see the whole thing completely differently. I actually thought he did poorly at times trying to explain things. But overall that appearance will do him way more good than bad. I bet his staff is thrilled with the result. And would do it again in a second every day. The thing ended with Leno gushing that this was one of the best days of his life.

I tend to agree, but these type of things have diminishing returns and there has been some backlash that Obama's still in "campaign mode" which IMO is FAR more dangerous than a flubbed joke, becuase activites like this affects the publics true perception of the man as a leader. Hes GOT TO make the transition from the the roll up yer sleeves candidate on the talk shows to the strong Presidental figure. Doing Leno and using outlets like that show retards that process.

So other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Homerun. :thumbsup:

When you hit a home run and trip over second base during your trot which event do you think will get the most air time on ESPN?

And ohhh I'm so glad that Leno felt all tingly. I'm mean hell, it would be the best day of my life too. Even though I think the guy's a schmuck and way over his head he's still the goddamn POTUS.

I tend to agree, but these type of things have diminishing returns and there has been some backlash that Obama's still in "campaign mode" which IMO is FAR more dangerous than a flubbed joke, becuase activites like this affects the publics true perception of the man as a leader. Hes GOT TO make the transition from the the roll up yer sleeves candidate on the talk shows to the strong Presidental figure. Doing Leno and using outlets like that show retards that process.

Perhaps. He and his staff think he can do both. The interview was a good example. It was maybe 20 minutes. Half of it was very serious and half of it was fun and joking around. It's entirely possible to be a strong leader and be a personable guy. It doesn't mean you aren't taking the job seriously or working hard. Most of the serious criticism of him is that he is trying to do too much not too little.

What his detractors fail to realize, IMO, is that he decided to skip the middle man, and I personally think it was a great decision because of his popularity. He's not just taking his policy to the politicians or to the press, like most all other Presidents did. He's going right to the people, and he's very good with them. For the most part, they love him. And I'm willing to bet any money that, counting that gaffe, 2/3 - 3/4 of the people watching Leno and the interview came away with a very favorable opinion of the appearance. Behind the scenes, I think his staff thinks "Man, I wish he wouldnt have said that, but that went fabulous."

I expected the responses to my post from people that don't like him, and that's cool. Of course, I also expected them to completely miss the point. Which they did.

Two-thirds of the people on this thread are guilty of the same thing - you know who you are, the ones who like to call others "Retards" when you disagree with them.

Obama said a very stupid thing, I agree. It was thoughtless and is a very good example of what not to say. He's just learned the hard way that "joking around" sometimes isn't funny. On the upside, he realized his error immediately and contacted the special olympics before the show aired to tell him what he'd said and to apologize, instead of trying to minimize his error and side-step it. With all this publicity and flap over the error maybe some good will come out of it.

Two-thirds of the people on this thread are guilty of the same thing - you know who you are, the ones who like to call others "Retards" when you disagree with them.

They aren't arguing that. They are saying that sure, it wasn't all that outrageous and stupid a thing for you or me to say as a joke, but you just can't do or say that when you're President under any circumstance, and they're absolutely right. You can't. It was a very stupid thing for him to joke about as President. The general public says stuff like that all the time, and while it's probably insensitive, it happens all day long.

They had the head of the Special Olympics on speaking about it and he was clearly pissed about it, and rightfully so. And said he had a huge amount of emails and calls about it. Half were mad about what he said, and half were saying "it was a little joke, you're too sensitive about it". That's what made him even more what he called "hurt".

Obama said a very stupid thing, I agree. It was thoughtless and is a very good example of what not to say. He's just learned the hard way that "joking around" sometimes isn't funny. On the upside, he realized his error immediately and contacted the special olympics before the show aired to tell him what he'd said and to apologize, instead of trying to minimize his error and side-step it. With all this publicity and flap over the error maybe some good will come out of it.

Are you a parody of yourself? You know, like Crayonz except that you're not funny?

I can't figure you out. Shirley you can't be serious! :thumbsup:

If this was ANY Republican, the press would be crucifying him.

Libs, don't give me the it was late night and that's why they haven't attacked him yet. Leno tapes at 7 PM EDT / 4 PM PDT.

Cry me a river.

Once again... It is all about credibility.

Republicans have been known to actually act on their bad/racist behavior of this matter... Or back it up with their power. The republicans don't get the benefit of doubt.

And yes... It was bad what BO did.

Get over, I am sorry... Some get more of the benefit of doubt. He (BO) acts on it and he will lose that benefit.

They aren't arguing that. They are saying that sure, it wasn't all that outrageous and stupid a thing for you or me to say as a joke, but you just can't do or say that when you're President under any circumstance, and they're absolutely right. You can't. It was a very stupid thing for him to joke about as President. The general public says stuff like that all the time, and while it's probably insensitive, it happens all day long.

They had the head of the Special Olympics on speaking about it and he was clearly pissed about it, and rightfully so. And said he had a huge amount of emails and calls about it. Half were mad about what he said, and half were saying "it was a little joke, you're too sensitive about it". That's what made him even more what he called "hurt".

I am not disagreeing. I am merely pointing out that anyone who screams about how terrible a thing it is, ought to also consider what they say too. As the parent of an autistic son who bore the brunt of a lot of abuse I tend to think that stuff, on a daily basis from his peers and even strangers, was quite hurtful. If Obama never makes a gaffe ever again, that stuff will still go on. My statement about something good coming from this was expressing hope that maybe some people will realize how mean it is and try to avoid that same behaviour.

I guarantee you my son was far more hurt that the Cub Scouts would not let him join than anything coming out of the mouth of a politician.

Think it about and how phucked up the Kennedy's are... If it wasn't for Joe Sr. sending his perfectly normal (looking back... By Kennedy standards she was probably the most normal, just that in a sea of Kennedy dysfunction, Rosemary stood out against the other Kennedy nitwits) 23 year daughter off to have a frontal lobotomy and the guilt associated with that procedure when they realized what they did... The Special Olympics would have never been founded.

Classic liberal guilt.

:thumbsup::worthy:

Shut up, retard.

I love this place! You've got some nerve Tom, you whitebread, cracker, nager-lovin, spic smelling (just made that up), retarded Republican jew!

Me thinks we need a politically incorrect joke thread so we can really offend the PC crowd. :thumbsup: