Conner Barwin

Athletic Enough to play TE and DE...unlike Schobel or Kelsay in college.

Ran a 4.48 by some watches http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot.../riser.sliders/ ...unlike Kelsay and Schobel, who ran at best in the low 4.6s.

Other than being white, I don't see a similarity. Barwin is known for closing speed IN ADDITION TO being a high motor guy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His measurables were the best of all the DE's at the Combine. A couple posters above me made a point that he played against one of the poorest defensive conferences in college football. Well, what is he supposed to do about that? He showed up and dominated and that's really all he can do. Go look at what he did statistically against all the guys we've been talking about drafting ahead of him. Not so much a top 10-20 pick but if he's around in the 2nd and they haven't went DE in the first, I think he's a lock. Who cares if he's white? Who'd care what he was if he ends up being productive? The reading on him says he's very smart and easily coached. Sounds like a Bill to me.

Ran a 4.48 by some watches http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/foot.../riser.sliders/ ...unlike Kelsay and Schobel, who ran at best in the low 4.6s.

Other than being white, I don't see a similarity. Barwin is known for closing speed IN ADDITION TO being a high motor guy.

Only in Buffalo do people consistently whine about a 2 time pro bowl DE. Schobel is a great athlete and almost any time in the NFL would welcome him if we ever got rid of him.

Only in Buffalo do people consistently whine about a 2 time pro bowl DE. Schobel is a great athlete and almost any time in the NFL would welcome him if we ever got rid of him.

I've got nary a problem with either Schobel or Kelsay, but since they were the references for not drafting Barwin, plus once "high motor" is mentioned things get assumed. Much like now, but ironically for the opposite...Neat.

Maybe if he's around in the 4th round, I'd be okay with the selection. Buffalo doesn't need a project DE right now, they need a ferocious pass rusher. There's at least 8 or 9 guys I'd rather have than Barwin.

Note: This has nothing to do with his skin color, and everything to do with my belief that he's the second coming of Brian Robison. Who's Brian Robison, you ask? Exactly.

Yes - Cincinnati. Watched him play for 2 years.

I'll add - he doesn't hesitate in delivering a hard whack even if a penalty ensues.

His combine performance seems to have vaulted him up in the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/connor...le-tab-analysis

I've never seen him. How quick is he off the ball? 40 times couldn't mean less to me when it comes to lineman. I'm already liking your report of his aggessive nature.

GO BILLS!!!

His measurables were the best of all the DE's at the Combine. A couple posters above me made a point that he played against one of the poorest defensive conferences in college football. Well, what is he supposed to do about that? He showed up and dominated and that's really all he can do. Go look at what he did statistically against all the guys we've been talking about drafting ahead of him. Not so much a top 10-20 pick but if he's around in the 2nd and they haven't went DE in the first, I think he's a lock. Who cares if he's white? Who'd care what he was if he ends up being productive? The reading on him says he's very smart and easily coached. Sounds like a Bill to me.

Didn't Cincy play against OU this season?

How did he do against them?

Stat-wise he had 1 solo tackle, 3 assists and a QB hurry. But I didn't actually see the game to know how he looked.

I watched probably more of him than most as a Big East fan. He was good in one the worst college conferences. He will not be a good pro. And you and everyone on here knows that Schobel is good for stats but not making a big play. No consistency.

Let's revisit this at the end of the NFL season and see whose right.

Yeah, you never get good DEs out of bad conferences. Ask Osi Umenyiora.

There are lots of similarities. Five fingers on each hand. One nose. Body hair. These two are the same guy.

Maybe if he's around in the 4th round, I'd be okay with the selection. Buffalo doesn't need a project DE right now, they need a ferocious pass rusher. There's at least 8 or 9 guys I'd rather have than Barwin.

Note: This has nothing to do with his skin color, and everything to do with my belief that he's the second coming of Brian Robison. Who's Brian Robison, you ask? Exactly.

There's virtually no such thing as a first-year DE who is NOT a project. At that position, it's almost impossible to come in in your first year and do extremely well, or even come near your potential.

Barwin would make a good pick.

EDIT: More evidence that Kelsay and Barwin are the same player.

Barwin had 11 sacks in his FIRST YEAR playing DE, his senior year.

Kelsay had 12 sacks. See how close they were, 11 and 12? Of course, Kelsay's 12 sacks came in his junior AND senior years combined. But still ...

See what I mean, these guys are like clones.

I've never seen him. How quick is he off the ball? 40 times couldn't mean less to me when it comes to lineman. I'm already liking your report of his aggessive nature.

GO BILLS!!!

He's quick.

According to this Cincinnati Enquirer article yesterday, Barwin did go and visit BUF.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009031.../303180053/1064

UC fielded an almost all-senior club last season, so there was more to look at than Barwin. Six of their players were invited to the combine. I don't know if he was in attendance, but OG Trevor Canfield has gotten a bit of draft ink.

DT Terill Byrd merits watching.

I watched probably more of him than most as a Big East fan. He was good in one the worst college conferences. He will not be a good pro. And you and everyone on here knows that Schobel is good for stats but not making a big play. No consistency.

Let's revisit this at the end of the NFL season and see whose right.

Agree on Schobel. I know what the numbers say, but for the life of me, I can't remember a big play and his sacks seemed to come in bunches. Inconsistent and unspectacular.

JMO....

Chris Kelsay II noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :rolleyes:

LMFAOOOOOOOO!!!!!

He might not be on the board when BUF's 2nd round rolls around

Its seems every profiled player is overvalued on this board, haven't you guys learned from the past drafts? Most players labeled as "athlete" are usually drafted in rds. 3-5, at best hes drafted in the compensatory picks of rd.3. Question, if he's not around come the Bills 2nd pick, whose knocked out of 2nd rd.? Believe when i say they're all athletes just put them w/ the proper scheme and they will shine. Also where would you play him in this garbage, ahem....complex, ahem....defense?

There's virtually no such thing as a first-year DE who is NOT a project. At that position, it's almost impossible to come in in your first year and do extremely well, or even come near your potential.

Barwin would make a good pick.

I respect your opinion, but that's just not true. Looks at guys like DeMarcus Ware, Gaines Adams, Mark Anderson, Phillip Merling, Jason Jones, LaMarr Woodley, Mathias Kiwanuka, Elvis Dumervil, Shawne Merriman, Justin Tuck, etc. They've all contributed significantly as rookies, and none (to my knowledge anyway) were considered project DEs coming into the NFL. Granted, some of those guys (Ware, Woodley, Merriman) switched to 3-4 OLBs, but I think the premise remains the same.

Plus, as I said, Barwin is a good athlete, but he looks more like a Robison-type than a future NFL DE to me.

Not KelsayII - I can't believe no one has referenced Mike Mamula- where is you love of history?

Mamula: great combine and little actual production.

Barwin: great combine and excellent production.

Um, where is the similarity? Is having a great combine a bad thing?