Stallworth was slightly over the legal limit

UPDATE:

per rotoworld.com:

Donte' Stallworth's lawyer and Miami police are reportedly negotiating the terms of Stallworth's surrender.

Stallworth is facing a possible DUI manslaughter charge, which would carry a 15-year jail sentence if he's convicted. Miami's WSVN reports that even with a plea deal, a manslaughter conviction would still carry mandatory jail time. Stallworth's blood test results are due on Friday, with three separate sources are already reporting that he was over the legal limit.

He's going to jail.

Can he have his day in court first? Not to inject race into this, but let's remember that it's not unprecedented for the cops to cut corners in a criminal investigation and violate the rights of an African American.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

per rotoworld.com:

Donte' Stallworth's lawyer and Miami police are reportedly negotiating the terms of Stallworth's surrender.

Stallworth is facing a possible DUI manslaughter charge, which would carry a 15-year jail sentence if he's convicted. Miami's WSVN reports that even with a plea deal, a manslaughter conviction would still carry mandatory jail time. Stallworth's blood test results are due on Friday, with three separate sources are already reporting that he was over the legal limit.

He's going to jail.

Also to update I'm hearing the BAC was .14 vs .12 (reported on tv CBS 4 in miami.)

Can he have his day in court first? Not to inject race into this, but let's remember that it's not unprecedented for the cops to cut corners in a criminal investigation and violate the rights of an African American.

"Not to inject race into this", but here comes the cliche race card. LOL. Yes, he can have his day in court and should recieve a fair trial. As it stands now, he admitted to killing the pedestrian, drinking the night before, and the entire sobriety test/ breathalyzer is on tape and being shown on every national news station.

I was thinking the same thing. I have heard of many instances of cops forcing people at gunpoint to drink to excess, and then kill someone with their car.

:rolleyes: Explain how they could have cut corners on this one. Its pretty damn cut & dry.

There are many, many ways a suspect can have their rights violated, so don't presume this is so cut and dry yet. Also, breathalyzers cannot be 100% trusted. I've known people to blow way over the legal limit after gargling a little mouthwash, just to name one possibility. Was he properly informed of his rights? Was he unlawfully coerced to admit something? I stand by Stallworth, and anyone who doesn't at this point is simply playing God with the law.

You're rigth, we shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. But three sources have confirmed he was over the limit (one says .14 the other two say .12). And since he killed someone with his car, they're saying that he faces mandatory jail time no matter what he pleas to.

The noose is tightening around his neck, but he could still slip out of it. But certainly looks bad.

Also to update I'm hearing the BAC was .14 vs .12 (reported on tv CBS 4 in miami.)

Two sources say .12 and the third source says .14.

There are many, many ways a suspect can have their rights violated, so don't presume this is so cut and dry yet. Also, breathalyzers cannot be 100% trusted. I've known people to blow way over the legal limit after gargling a little mouthwash, just to name one possibility. Was he properly informed of his rights? Was he unlawfully coerced to admit something? I stand by Stallworth, and anyone who doesn't at this point is simply playing God with the law.

I cannot play God with the law because I am in Western N.Y., posting at TBD, and have no link to this case whatsoever. I can however form an opinion with the information I have been given. An opinion is just an opinion and either one of us would be premature to think we know with 100 percent certainty what happened. However, the odds of your "what if" scenarios are unlikely, IMO.

Or if perhaps the most likely extenuating circumstance that his reaction time was diminished because he was intoxicated. I wonder if you would be so willing to forgive if it were your family member that was killed.

Exactly. Being the victim of a wreckless (albeit unimpaired) driver myself I have zero sympathy for any idiot that kills or seriously injures someone due to their own selfish behavior.

It think we also have to consider whether or not Dante was the victim of being overserved by an irresponsible bartender (assuming, of course, the police leak about his blood/alcohol rates are legitimate and legal).

And you were doing such a great job at trolling up until this.

It think we also have to consider whether or not Dante was the victim of being overserved by an irresponsible bartender (assuming, of course, the police leak about his blood/alcohol rates are legitimate and legal).

lol... you had me for a minute, but with this comment, it's obvious that you're just trying to rile things up.

lol... you had me for a minute, but with this comment, it's obvious that you're just trying to rile things up.

If pointing out that we don't know all the facts yet is riling things up it just proves that those who comment are very quick to judgment, particularly when the suspect happens to be black. Stereotypes replace facts for those who live in ivory towers. We still don't even know if the pedestrian disregarded crosswalk laws or other traffic rules, either. Why not just call for his lynching already and just get it over with?

I don't think there was any BAL. I think the cops should do a DNA analysis on the blood AND the alcohol.

Naw, they should just dismiss is as a "terrible accident." B-)

And he reportedly had blood drawn twice, an hour apart. The 0.14 was probably the first and the 0.12 the second. If that's true, he obviously lied about his alcohol intake. Which is odd because people who talk immediately ALWAYS tell the truth. Right Mr. WEO?

I get tired of the blame the bartender game. When did people stop taking responsibility for their own actions?

Look, I know it's a tragedy that someone died, but Dante is still very young and just made a mistake - how many of us have driven over the legal limit before? - so I don't think we need to ruin his life because of one unfortunate incident. He grew up in poverty without many positive role models, and then was handed a ton of money after turning pro and we act surprised something like this happens? Get him some help, maybe take a year off from the game to get some counseling, have him perform some civic duty and raise funds for the family of the victim, and move on. It's not like he intended to kill anyone, plus he's a talented player who has a lot to contribute to the game still.

You guys are simply bloodthirsty. In a couple years, after he's been rehabilitated, I say let him play. Hell, I'd like to see him in a Bills uniform if he can help the team on the field.

He did that all by himself.

If pointing out that we don't know all the facts yet is riling things up it just proves that those who comment are very quick to judgment, particularly when the suspect happens to be black. Stereotypes replace facts for those who live in ivory towers. We still don't even know if the pedestrian disregarded crosswalk laws or other traffic rules, either. Why not just call for his lynching already and just get it over with?

The suspect being black only matters too you and your obnoxious argument. Jim Leyritz killed a person drunk driving last year and the resounding opinion of his crime was exactly the same as Dante's. I find your witty "what ifs" mildly amusing but your race comments are slightly offensive. It's all about the thrill of stirring up the pot, I guess. Anyway, good luck with your fishing, and try to be less assuming with your perception of everyone's racism.