Stallworth was slightly over the legal limit

We have to realize that to err is humane and to forgive divine. Look, we know he made a mistake, but we'll need to wait for a court to decide the extent. Thing is, we don't know if the victim didn't jump in front of his car in a suicide mission, or if he had fallen and Dante couldn't see him lying in the road, or if there were extenuating circumstances with the weather, or if he had swerved to avoid the guy but he couldn't because the roads were wet...a lot to consider. As of right now he remains innocent, and there's really nothing more to say.

Or if perhaps the most likely extenuating circumstance that his reaction time was diminished because he was intoxicated. I wonder if you would be so willing to forgive if it were your family member that was killed.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would estimate Dante's weight to be around 220 lb, for a 220 lb man to be over the limit

at .09, he would need to consume 5 drinks in rapid fire fashion(1/2 hour to 45 min.), to be

at .12, it would take 7 drinks. You subtract .01 for each forty minutes of drinking. If he stopped

at Midnight, there were (10.5) 40 minute periods between Midnight and 7:00 a.m., so that would

mean that his BAC at 7:00 should have been .015, well under the limit, if he wasn't really pounding them.

Conversly, his BAC at Midnight would have had to been .225, for it to be at .12 at 7:00 a.m., dam good thing

he didn't try to drive at Midnight. To be at .225, he would have had to either drank about 13 drinks in rapid fire

fashion between 11:15 and Midnight, or he drank about 30-40 over three or four hours. Whew, I'll say he

was celebrating.

The human body metabolizes .02 BAC per hour. If he consumed 30 drinks over three hours his BAC would be at .54. If he stopped at 12 am he would still be at .40 BAC at 7 am. Either way, debating how much he drank and when stopped drinking is arbitrary.

It's sad for the family of the victim and sad for Stallworth. You can't take any chances when it comes to drinking and driving. The same thing may have happened even if he was sober. But the fact is, he was 2 drinks over the legal limit. This is a tragic accident - and an all to common result of drinking and driving. This will make me think twice the next time I think im ok to drive because Ive only had a few drinks.

I know what some of you are thinking, how is Cookie so knowledgable about this stuff, no need to

thank me, he must have some first hand experience with this stuff. While here goes, I have, like

some of you have admitted, driven, probably while being over the limit, let me correct that, at times, no doubt over the limit, but not since maybe my mid 20's, and I am pushing 50 now. I remember one time being asleep at a stop

sign, with the car running, thank God we live in a pretty rural area, there probably wasn't another car that even made it to

the intersection. the whole time that I was asleep, how ever long that might have been. A State Trooper woke me up

by knocking on the driver side window, scared the sh-- out of me. He let me go, and I hightailed home about a mile

away, he could have nailed me.

I have never had a DUI, and certainly haven't killed anybody, at least not with my car, some of that could have been luck,

or some of it might be due to the fact that I have this knowledge, my advice to everyone who sometimes drive responsibly

after drinking, is know the law and your limits. I think that if you are aware of what these are, it is pretty hard to drive

while considered to be under the influence. Remember, for a 220 lb. man he could have 5 drinks over about an hour, and he would still be under the limit. People get into trouble when they start doing shots in between beers and the like, they just do not realize how quickly this adds up, especially over a relatively short period of time. Space your drinking

out, and keep track of how many you have had, no when to quit, of course the best advice would be to never drive after drinking period. With this being said, had I been unlucky one of those times, I would expect punishment to the fullest extent of the law, and I would have to accept it.

He was drunk under the letter of the law & killed someone walking. Mercy needs to be given to the family, not the player. F-him and his dumb drunk butt right now, spend some time in jail and teach the other people to play it straight and not kill others. No one is above the law, ever.

He will not forget this, ever.

He might well have been telling the truth about the time, but was lying about the amount he drank. :blink:

I was just speculating about him lying about the time based on decades of time in bars and listening to guys and girls try to explain away how much they drank. It's my history that if at 7 am, hungover, a guy tells, say, his angry wife or girlfriend that he stopped drinking at midnight, he stopped at 2 or 3 am. And if he said he had 5-6 drinks he had 8-9.

We both know he was lying. As I said before, I'd have more respect for him if he didn't say anything, rather than come out with a lie.

And I'm sure you got my point that coming out and talking immediately doesn't mean you're innocent, while not talking doesn't mean you're guilty.

Evidently, most of you don't drink ever if you think that he had 50 drinks in 5 hours. I don't care if you are the biggest Irish person in the world, you would more than likely be dead after that. We all know the rule of thumb is .01 every drink so that would put him at .50 which would be near certain death. It would have been til late that night that he even came close to being the legal limit. Thinking he had 50+ drinks that night is absurd.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=141452

Not good. This is a report from a Florida TV station and neither the police nor Stallworth are commenting. This thing just got much worse. He's gonna get sued by the victim's kin and could face jail time (unsure on Florida laws here).

COULD?? face jail time?? The guy is gonna do at least 5 years.

Maybe he was out all night and had just left the Mighty Taco...

When I worked at the (now non-existent) Mighty Taco on Bailey Avenue the bars would close at 4 a.m. and we'd have a line of drunks going out the door. It wasn't probably till 6:30 that we could close the place. And this was every night. No wonder I did so poorly in college.

Back to the topic, if the report is true he's facing up to 15 years for felony vehicular manslaughter. The other interesting aspect of this story is that the accident occurred one day after he received a $4.75 million roster bonus. He might have actually been out celebrating. Wow, what a buzzkill.

I think I almost remember those days!

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=141452

Not good. This is a report from a Florida TV station and neither the police nor Stallworth are commenting. This thing just got much worse. He's gonna get sued by the victim's kin and could face jail time (unsure on Florida laws here).

His $4.5 million bonus is going to his lawyer and the rest if not more is going to the family in a civil judgment. JMO

?? - It was 7:17 a.m.!

Dudes got a problem IMO.

Maybe he was out all night and had just left the Mighty Taco...

When I worked at the (now non-existent) Mighty Taco on Bailey Avenue the bars would close at 4 a.m. and we'd have a line of drunks going out the door. It wasn't probably till 6:30 that we could close the place. And this was every night. No wonder I did so poorly in college.

Back to the topic, if the report is true he's facing up to 15 years for felony vehicular manslaughter. The other interesting aspect of this story is that the accident occurred one day after he received a $4.75 million roster bonus. He might have actually been out celebrating. Wow, what a buzzkill.

If he gets three I'll be surprised.

What is all this "slightly over the legal limit" stuff? The report say .12 when the legal limit is .08. That's 50% over the legal limit.

Slightly would be .085. maybe .09 max...

Each .01 increment is significantly higher.

I just don't understand guys like this...all this money and yet they still drive. Just call a cab, limo or car service...its not very expensive, even for a limo...

What he said. :unsure:

Look, I know it's a tragedy that someone died, but Dante is still very young and just made a mistake - how many of us have driven over the legal limit before? - so I don't think we need to ruin his life because of one unfortunate incident. He grew up in poverty without many positive role models, and then was handed a ton of money after turning pro and we act surprised something like this happens? Get him some help, maybe take a year off from the game to get some counseling, have him perform some civic duty and raise funds for the family of the victim, and move on. It's not like he intended to kill anyone, plus he's a talented player who has a lot to contribute to the game still.

You guys are simply bloodthirsty. In a couple years, after he's been rehabilitated, I say let him play. Hell, I'd like to see him in a Bills uniform if he can help the team on the field.

I'm sure you're just stirring the pot but I'll bite. Many people have DUI but never got caught and never caused an accident. If you plan to kill someone and shoot at them and miss you'll get a lighter sentence than if you shoot at them and kill them. I don't understand the difference really but that's the way it works.

He grew up in poverty? :blink: Well then he should just get a slap on the hand, after all there are no high character people who grew up in poverty?

Or if perhaps the most likely extenuating circumstance that his reaction time was diminished because he was intoxicated. I wonder if you would be so willing to forgive if it were your family member that was killed.

That's exactly true. There are a lot of things people believe or feel should happen to someone and then it happens to a family member and the tune changes dramatically.

Buzzed driving is DRUNK driving.

The dumb bastard should have took a cab or let a sober friend drive. He receives a DWI and KILLS a human being at the same time. They should lock him up for at least 5 years.

a .12 is a pretty good buzz!

Evidently, most of you don't drink ever if you think that he had 50 drinks in 5 hours. I don't care if you are the biggest Irish person in the world, you would more than likely be dead after that. We all know the rule of thumb is .01 every drink so that would put him at .50 which would be near certain death. It would have been til late that night that he even came close to being the legal limit. Thinking he had 50+ drinks that night is absurd.

Athletes are in top shape, metaboically, as well, and I think that they can handle, again metabolically speaking more

alcohol than the average Joe, that and the tolerances that the develop, so I could believe that over a relatively long period,

(3-4-5-6 hours)they could and probably do consume an astronomical amount of liquor, 50 might be a reach, but 30-40 not out of the question at all, cite my Wade Boggs earlier post refernce. I was just saying, for him to have stopped at Midnight, and still be at .12, he would had to have consumed more than you are thinking, even if he had stopped at 3 or 4 am, to be a .12, he was pounding them. Rememeber , if you pound 7 drinks back let's say in a 1/2 hour, you are close to .12, but over 2 hours, you will be slightly under the limit, again if you are 220 lb.'s.

To those that say it is a mute point, Did you stumble on to the wrong site, this is a discussion board, um...

we discuss stuff.

BTW, it is a mute point, as it is what it is, a sad and very tragic story, and my thoughts and prayers go out

to both famalies.

A comic was telling his grandfather an Irish Joke, and he Said, "Grandpa, two Irisman walked into a bar", and his Grandpa interupted him with "of course they did"

Athletes are in top shape, metaboically, as well, and I think that they can handle, again metabolically speaking more

alcohol than the average Joe, that and the tolerances that the develop, so I could believe that over a relatively long period,

(3-4-5-6 hours)they could and probably do consume an astronomical amount of liquor, 50 might be a reach, but 30-40 not out of the question at all, cite my Wade Boggs earlier post refernce. I was just saying, for him to have stopped at Midnight, and still be at .12, he would had to have consumed more than you are thinking, even if he had stopped at 3 or 4 am, to be a .12, he was pounding them. Rememeber , if you pound 7 drinks back let's say in a 1/2 hour, you are close to .12, but over 2 hours, you will be slightly under the limit, again if you are 220 lb.'s.

To those that say it is a mute point, Did you stumble on to the wrong site, this is a discussion board, um...

we discuss stuff.

BTW, it is a mute point, as it is what it is, a sad and very tragic story, and my thoughts and prayers go out

to both famalies.

A comic was telling his grandfather an Irish Joke, and he Said, "Grandpa, two Irisman walked into a bar", and his Grandpa interupted him with "of course they did"

You do make a good point about his conditioning. And yes it is a very tragic story and I hope I didn't come across as I was downplaying the severity and tragedy of the event. My condolences are with everyone involved.

The story I read, although I don't know if it was true, said he had several shots of patron and a few drinks the night before. he said he stopped at midnight or so. I would imagine that if he said he stopped drinking then, it may have been a lot later. He was picked up at 7 am like you said. That all makes sense to me. He drank a lot, was wasted, stopped sometime early in the morning (maybe 2 or 3 am?) and then drove at 7 am thinking he was okay. It still would likely register slightly over the limit if it were well over the limit a few hours earlier. That all makes sense to me and probably what happened. He was probably praying more of it had wore off by 7 am the last few days while waiting for the results.

That boy needed some food in his belly.

how quick we forget that this coulda been marshawn, except he was probably completly wasted. its a lose lose situation, stallworth screwed, and a dead guy. too bad he wasn't still with the pats, i totally hate them way more than the browns.

We have to realize that to err is humane and to forgive divine. Look, we know he made a mistake, but we'll need to wait for a court to decide the extent. Thing is, we don't know if the victim didn't jump in front of his car in a suicide mission, or if he had fallen and Dante couldn't see him lying in the road, or if there were extenuating circumstances with the weather, or if he had swerved to avoid the guy but he couldn't because the roads were wet...a lot to consider. As of right now he remains innocent, and there's really nothing more to say.

seriously?

how do you feel about OJ?

Buzzed driving is DRUNK driving.

The dumb bastard should have took a cab or let a sober friend drive. He receives a DWI and KILLS a human being at the same time. They should lock him up for at least 5 years.

a .12 is a pretty good buzz!

.12 is a lot of booze...I mean that is not staggering drunk....but he was very high.

slightly over...that's like saying my wife is just a little bit pregnant.

Either you are drunk or not and it's not about how how you feel. It's about the blood alcohol content and .12 is 50% above the .08 limit.

Bad for him, bad for everyone

UPDATE:

per rotoworld.com:

Donte' Stallworth's lawyer and Miami police are reportedly negotiating the terms of Stallworth's surrender.

Stallworth is facing a possible DUI manslaughter charge, which would carry a 15-year jail sentence if he's convicted. Miami's WSVN reports that even with a plea deal, a manslaughter conviction would still carry mandatory jail time. Stallworth's blood test results are due on Friday, with three separate sources are already reporting that he was over the legal limit.

He's going to jail.