correct me if I'm wrong, but is this totally off?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=528479

"The signing of free agent Drayton Florence to replace Greer was an equally bad move. After losing his starting job to a rookie in San Diego, he bombed last year in the Jaguars' zone scheme, which is similar to the one Buffalo use."

Um, Gregg Williams was the DC, and he's famous for putting his corners in man coverage. His defense is very, very different from Jauron's modified Tampa 2, no?

Also, Florence wasn't signed to replace Greer. McKelvin replaces Greer, with McGee starting opposite him. Drayton is the nickel CB, if even, since Youboty will be back (but is injury-prone). And then there's Corner.

Oh and Greer missed 6-1/2 games last year.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=528479

"The signing of free agent Drayton Florence to replace Greer was an equally bad move. After losing his starting job to a rookie in San Diego, he bombed last year in the Jaguars' zone scheme, which is similar to the one Buffalo use."

Um, Gregg Williams was the DC, and he's famous for putting his corners in man coverage. His defense is very, very different from Jauron's modified Tampa 2, no?

It is a comment that misses the point(s):

• Buffalo plays a very different D where there is less pressure on CB's to be in strict man to man
  • Florence was considered a key FA acquisition by the Jags .. he bombed in their system but he was considered a good CB in SD
  • Jags cut him as a cost move since he did not start as a starter in their system.
  • In Buffalo he will at best be a third option and may fall to 4th or 5th depending on Reggie and Yoboughty.

It is not an insightful comment.

They actually got it backwards - his best year (prior to FA) was in a zone scheme in SD. Then the man scheme in Jax went horribly wrong and now he's in Buf, where he'll do a lot of cover 4 (which we use more than the 2 everyone things we use).

I doubt Florence will be Greer's replacement....IMHO McKelvin replaces Greer and Florence plays the nickel...

If he returns from injury in good shape I would argue that Yoboughtyplays nickel. He looked very good before he was hurt last season. Reggie Corner appeard to have talent also.

If he returns from injury in good shape I would argue that Yoboughtyplays nickel. He looked very good before he was hurt last season. Reggie Corner appeard to have talent also.

Yea I agree, we have bigger needs then corner (though you can never have enough) and you just can't protect against injuries. Yob was outstanding and I bet he will push McKelvin for the other starter especially when he is returning on ST too.

We go a good list and maybe 2 and 3 swap or 4 and 5.

1. McGee

2. Yoboughty

3. McKelvin

4. Corner

5. New Guy!

But that money that we didnt sign Geer needs to go to someone and TO can't be our only FA p/u with any true value. We need Peppers too bad Cotrell aint here to run the 3-4.

Yea I agree, we have bigger needs then corner (though you can never have enough) and you just can't protect against injuries. Yob was outstanding and I bet he will push McKelvin for the other starter especially when he is returning on ST too.

We go a good list and maybe 2 and 3 swap or 4 and 5.

1. McGee

2. Yoboughty

3. McKelvin

4. Corner

5. New Guy!

But that money that we didnt sign Geer needs to go to someone and TO can't be our only FA p/u with any true value. We need Peppers too bad Cotrell aint here to run the 3-4.

RuffMuff, your opinions and observations are always welcomed here. I swear it has nothing to do with your avatar.

I don't think that the Bills FO has signed another team's FA that any winning team would have signed. All thier signings so far are a sign of the weak team they are and how tough it is to get very good players, with good attitudes and winning histories to come to Buffalo. We have signed the biggest Free Agency bust from 2008 to add to our Defensive Backfield, a career backup lineman to start for us and a extremely talented but obvious cancer that no other team in the entire NFL wanted, in fact some so called experts predicted he would never even get a contract at all, and the Bills signed him in a matter of a few days.

It is a comment that misses the point(s):

• Buffalo plays a very different D where there is less pressure on CB's to be in strict man to man
  • Florence was considered a key FA acquisition by the Jags .. he bombed in their system but he was considered a good CB in SD
  • Jags cut him as a cost move since he did not start as a starter in their system.
  • In Buffalo he will at best be a third option and may fall to 4th or 5th depending on Reggie and Yoboughty.

It is not an insightful comment.

When did we start expecting the mainstream media to be insightful? (No offense Tim)

Greer was solid but not a star. McKelvin is his replacement for better or worse (hopefully better). Yoboughty and Corner play nickel and dime. Picking up Florence is a nice insurance policy and maybe he can compete for PT, but if he struggles it won't sink us.

I would still like to see us find a SS at some point...

I think that's a given - he played nickle well enough for them to play with two LBs as the base d until he get hurt. He was better against the run than Ellison!

For a guy that will at best be the nickel back, it really made a lot of sense. He is a vet that has speed to burn and has played in zone and man schemes.

I really don't think it's a lock he wins the nickel job. Youboty was playing solid before he went down, and Corner flashed solid coverage skills as well.

They actually got it backwards - his best year (prior to FA) was in a zone scheme in SD. Then the man scheme in Jax went horribly wrong and now he's in Buf, where he'll do a lot of cover 4 (which we use more than the 2 everyone things we use).

Interesting. Cover 4 would mean the two safeties and two corners all drop back deep, and the LBs alone cover underneath?

I've always wondered why, if we're playing the Tampa 2 where the corners don't have deep ball responsibilities, they're 10 yards back rather than pressing the WRs. This would explain that?

I don't think that the Bills FO has signed another team's FA that any winning team would have signed. All thier signings so far are a sign of the weak team they are and how tough it is to get very good players, with good attitudes and winning histories to come to Buffalo. We have signed the biggest Free Agency bust from 2008 to add to our Defensive Backfield, a career backup lineman to start for us and a extremely talented but obvious cancer that no other team in the entire NFL wanted, in fact some so called experts predicted he would never even get a contract at all, and the Bills signed him in a matter of a few days.

:devil:

Stroud, TO 'Nuff said.

Interesting. Cover 4 would mean the two safeties and two corners all drop back deep, and the LBs alone cover underneath?

I've always wondered why, if we're playing the Tampa 2 where the corners don't have deep ball responsibilities, they're 10 yards back rather than pressing the WRs. This would explain that?

Yep. We play traditionally Cover 4 and then cover 3. We very rarely play the tampa 2 as many attribute, but we still utilize the LBs in the voids, which makes it look like from TV - "oh, it was between the lb and the safety, must be tampa 2."

Jabari Greer confirmed it for me when he was on Sirius a few weeks ago. Because they're so far off, there is only one play that they would allow on them short and that is the slant. Technically, the linebacker needs to haul tookis and get there to kill anyone over the middle, but because of Ellison's lack of size it was a little touch and go.

Another way you can look at it is the two picks Leodis got - one was where he had a low/high stretch (someone short and someone mid-range). If it was a cover two, he would have jumped the shorter route, instead he trailed the medium and when the ball was thrown, bam - int. On the pick six, because he's in a cover three, you can use man principles (which he was great at in college) and jump the route.