TBN: Bills / Peters ~$3 M apart - Peters wants over $11.5 M

SKOOBY

I agree. I will keep saying this until the cows come home, as I have been saying since last year. The guy is just not that good. Why do so many of you on this board think he is GREAT? He is not great. Does it make everyone feel better about the Bills that we can say we have a top player at a position? Even though we all know it is not true.

Nothing is more meaningless than the average fan's evaluation of NFL line play.

How did he get to the Pro Bowl last year?

You don't think it was Buffalo Bills fans stuffing ballot boxes on his behalf last year do you?

I'll take the fact that the coaches and players voted him to two Pro Bowls over any opinion on this board.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think even if Peters had been given a new contract at that time he would be demanding more by now anyway. He's a guy who has had desire and motivation issues dating back to his college days and it looks to me like he hasn't changed. His character is one reason that,even though he was a freakish athlete,he wasn't drafted. I think he'll always be a problem and an underacheiver and should be traded now while his stock is high.

I can't argue. Good points. Even though this is an outsiders judgment of his character, which is a guessing game. I have never judged his character one way or the other. I'm only stating his case.

Good point. It's just an opening salvo in a negotiation. Nothing more until we know more. Personally, I think a deal gets done at some point.

As far as judging his character as a PLAYER (not as a person) I think he's raised a couple red flags in that regard. If I'm the Bills FO, I'm aware of that.

You raised a comparison to Bruce Smith in an earlier post. I'm willing to give Peters the benefit of the doubt that, like Smith in his first two seasons, he's immature and doesn't know HOW to be a professional from a dedication to conditioning and studying the game stanpoint. He certainly has the physical tools. Does he have the heart? Time will tell.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks again for something above the usual.

My last word is that this is a guy who shies away from the public. He doesn't tell his side of the story and I think that hurts him.

There are compelling arguments on his side but the consensus is that he should be run out of town.

He doesn't advocate for himself so others are left to do that for him.

And indeed, GO BILLS!

Nothing is more meaningless than the average fan's evaluation of NFL line play.

How did he get to the Pro Bowl last year?

You don't think it was Buffalo Bills fans stuffing ballot boxes on his behalf last year do you?

I'll take the fact that the coaches and players voted him to two Pro Bowls over any opinion on this board.

SJBF, you have been a voice of reason amidst the tumult of the confused masses.

If you traded your 1st and Peters to Philly for their two first round picks. Then i think it would be pretty much a wash. Philly has the 21 and 28 pick in the draft. Also you could maybe get a third out of them as well. You get your Tackle with pick number 21 your DE with pick number 28. In the second you get TE and then with two 3rds you get two more OL.There are plenty of good young tackles in the draft this year. Not to mention we have D Bell who sounds like he is developing into maybe the next Peters, play wise. Peters has shown he always wants to get paid more money. And thats fine so would we all. But what happens in two years from now when another left tackle gets 14 million a year. Are you gonna say he wont want another raise? You know he will. And the Bills will be right back here again.

Was this a typo or are you naturally this :huh: retarded? A proven Pro Bowl LT and the 11th overall pick for the 21st pick, 28th pick, and a third rounder? :cry:

It seems as if there's a bit of desperation coming from the front office. A bit more pressure to win or at least keep the fans relatively happy. We signed TO, it would be pretty dumb to make our offense significantly worse by getting rid of a franchise left tackle. Plus, I was under the impression that the popular thinking in the NFL is that LT is the most important position on the field after QB. Why wouldn't we lock him up for life? I'd rather keep Peters and cut Lee Evans or someone else. Peters is key.

Much appreciated Rubes. I spend more thought and energy here than I should. Really what is the reward?

But a pat on the back goes a long way.

As someone once said (and as any trip to the PPP board will validate), "The most futile activity in the world is trying to argue on the internet."

Still, I give you props for not succumbing to the insanity.

I can't argue. Good points. Even though this is an outsiders judgment of his character, which is a guessing game. I have never judged his character one way or the other. I'm only stating his case.

Thanks again for something above the usual.

My last word is that this is a guy who shies away from the public. He doesn't tell his side of the story and I think that hurts him.

There are compelling arguments on his side but the consensus is that he should be run out of town.

And indeed, GO BILLS!

Not to sound like I'm polishing your apple but again, this is a good point and one that shouldn't be taken for granted by us. The only way for a player to ingratiate himself and curry public favor, aside from his play, is to speak to the press and fanbase. Whether from shyness or advice, Peters usually chooses not to talk.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bottom line is his talent warrants him to be $10Million + a season.

His "talent" is that he is large.

What a short memory you guyz have :huh:

I remember him giving up sacks because he was out of shape and skipped camp

What world do you guyz live in?????

I live in a world where it's spelled: guys

I

I'm not ready to run him out of town, but I also don't want to see the Bills get bent over and pay him money that would make him one of the highest paid tackles in the NFL?

Did you seem him get beat badly in pass protection on many occasions last year? His play was nowhere near the level of the year before and certainly does not warrant the contract he is looking for. So which Peters are the Bills throwing money at? The one from 2007 or 2008?

He deserves the money based on his status in the NFL no question but he doesn't deserve it from the Bills based on his performance in 2008, ESPECIALLY because of the fact that he let himself get out of shape. If he was a Bruce Smith type dedicated athlete give him the money but obviously he's not. Let someone else get stuck with him and find a real football player LT who has dedication and give HIM LT money. Don't sign him!

Yesterday I was completely in favor of giving him his money and signing him to make sure he stays a Bill. Today, after seeing his contract demands, forget it. Giving him over $11.5MM per year is going to restricted even further what the Bills do in future free agencies. For the amount of accolades this guy gets, I don't remember too many running lanes being open for Fred and Marshawn on the left side over the past couple years. Some of it was Dockery, but shouldn't the best left tackle in the NFL be able to do more for the running game than what we've had? Let's get some value for Peters and let someone else deal with this headache.

If 11 million is what Peters wants, every Bills fan should hope for a trade. I lost a lot of respect for Peters last year, and coming off an ordinary year, he has no real leverage to be the highest paid LT in the league. The Pro Bowl? Please.

The Bottom line is his talent warrants him to be $10Million + a season.

His "talent" is that he is large.

What a short memory you guyz have :huh:

I remember him giving up sacks because he was out of shape and skipped camp

What world do you guyz live in?????

I live in a world where it's spelled: guys

I

yup

you do have short memory...

Just f-cking pay him and let's focus on the players that actually need to be replaced!

Most of you act like it's coming out of your pocket and not Ralph's. Why do you think we signed T.O.? The time to win is NOW. Ralph is 90 years old and i'm sure wants to win before he passes. Dick Mauron has to win this year or he's toast...getting rid of Peters now makes zero sense. Those of you who say he's not motivated...how the hell would you know? I'll leave that up to the Bills' to determine, because they are the only people with inside knowledge on the subject.

I guess i'm in the minority in saying sign him.

Just f-cking pay him and let's focus on the players that actually need to be replaced!

Most of you act like it's coming out of your pocket and not Ralph's. Why do you think we signed T.O.? The time to win is NOW. Ralph is 90 years old and i'm sure wants to win before he passes. Dick Mauron has to win this year or he's toast...getting rid of Peters now makes zero sense. Those of you who say he's not motivated...how the hell would you know? I'll leave that up to the Bills' to determine, because they are the only people with inside knowledge on the subject.

I guess i'm in the minority in saying sign him.

who gives a flying flip if we are in the minority. usually moving in the opposite direction of the herd is the best idea.

It's too bad we didn't simply rework his contract last year or the year before:

The reason we didn't rework it last year or the year before, is because we reworked it the year before that.

He came begging for a raise on his initial contract in the first year he started playing tackle. If he could have lived on only 400,000 a year that extra year, he could have waited to ask for that raise until he started playing left tackle, which would have greatly improved his bargaining position. On the other hand, it makes the Bills look a little soft if we start renegotiating contracts with the same player every other year.