Eagles and Peters

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From everything I've read it looks like LT Orlanda Pace was released almost entirely due to money but I'll concede he's been dinged up.

If we can get him under contract without breaking the bank AND if he's got something left in the tank I'd take the Eagles 1st rounder (21st overall/0 straight up for Jason Peters if that's the most they are offering.

That would give us the nos. 11, 21 and 42 overall picks in the first two rounds with an opportunity to walk away with DT Tyson Jackson. TE Brandon Pettigrew and if we're lucky maybe DE Michael Johnson or Robert Ayers.

Obviously all of this is contingent on Pace being healthy and signing him and Philly doing the deal but considering how deep this draft is at DT, TE and DE -- three areas of critical need for the Bills - if we have a chance to get two first round picks without giving up our second it seems like a no brainer to me.

A voice of reason.

I'd take 2 1sts in a heartbeat, but not just one. Sure he has all world potential, but he also helped kill our OL last season because he is a selfish b*&%$#. What makes anyone here confident that he won't start coasting after a big contract? Or that he will not sit out and underperform every year until he gets the king's gold? He has done nothing to make me think he won't screw us in the end.

Peters is trouble waiting to happen, and if Philly wants to give us 2 1sts then would would be crazy to walk away from it.

I agree. We've seen enough of his 'character' that if we give him the kind of money he thinks he's worth, I believe he'll then turn into a Mike Williams -not caring enough to improve, cuz he got his mega-millions. He was terrible last year -from his holdout to his play on the field. There's not a whole lot 'upstairs' to bank on for a great future.

This is so not good. Dockery gone...Peters gone...really..let's just clean house. Offensive lines aren't important when you have two great receivers and an all pro running back. WHAT THE HELL ARE WE THINKING. Our BIGGEST BIGGEST problem is our offensive pass rush, we just upgraded our receiving corps and we are not only not doing anything about improving our biggest problem...we are talking about getting rid of an all pro at the critical skill position.

What does it say about Peters if we're even having this discussion?

Seeing how almost something like this discussion happens with just about every halfway decent player on the Bills at some point it says nothing about Peters.

It does say something about (a number of) the posters on this board, however...

A non TO thread! Woohoo!

You don't trade your franchise LT away....ever.....unless you can rip somebody off. I don't think the Eagles would part with 2 first rounders, and anyways the Bills want to win now, if they would ever trade for Peters they'd want a proven player in return as part of the package.

I say as long as Peters keeps holding out, whining about money, playing pathetic as he did last year, get him out of here for a first round pick-anyday. What is saying that he is going to go back to his playing form from 2007 and not the terrible year he had in 2008? If we can get a first rounder do it? Maybe they are looking at dumping whiny boy and signing Orlando Pace who just got released? Pace would come cheaper than what Peters wants, which is to be the highest paid tackle in the AFC (biggest joke of the off season) and Pace even at his age, is still as good if not better than Peters is. I say to the front office, you grew balls once and singed T.O., let them grow again and get rid of this guy that is never going to be happy until he breaks the bank, undeservedly at that.

A non TO thread! Woohoo!

You don't trade your franchise LT away....ever.....unless you can rip somebody off. I don't think the Eagles would part with 2 first rounders, and anyways the Bills want to win now, if they would ever trade for Peters they'd want a proven player in return as part of the package.

bill,

are you saying you would trade him for 2 late firsts, or 2 firsts and a 3rd?

i think we trade him if he is going to be too hard to sign and we have a decent alternative.

i don't think you need to drop a ton on a LT, a very good one helps but with blitzes being fairly common and defenders fast to stop the run, you need several good OL rather than one or two great and any scrub in the other positions.

Yeah, because Peters clearly lost all of his god given ability.

Sorry, but Peters has talent that not more than 2 tackles in this league have. Its rare to find. I'd take my chances that he returns to form before I pin our offensive production on a rookie left side of the line and tackles who don't come close to Peters' potential.

If he has all that talent, then he sure didn't use it last year. Facts state he gave up more sacks than any LT in the NFL-wasted talent I guess.

bill,

are you saying you would trade him for 2 late firsts, or 2 firsts and a 3rd?

i think we trade him if he is going to be too hard to sign and we have a decent alternative.

i don't think you need to drop a ton on a LT, a very good one helps but with blitzes being fairly common and defenders fast to stop the run, you need several good OL rather than one or two great and any scrub in the other positions.

I would think a first and a proven player. 50% of first rounders don't work out, so you're basically getting 1 first rounder if you trade for 2. Plus, if the Bills want to win now, why would they trade a proven player for two risks.

I would think a first and a proven player. 50% of first rounders don't work out, so you're basically getting 1 first rounder if you trade for 2. Plus, if the Bills want to win now, why would they trade a proven player for two risks.

Money, and a chance to plug 3-4 obvious weaknesses, vs. keeping one questionable player with motivation and injury issues

It would be crazy getting rid of Peters now. Dockery's gone, Fowler's gone (which is a good thing), you're talking about 2 of 5 new starters for us, then you get rid of Peters and you have a totally rebuilt line. This year, Edwards can't afford to get killed behind a new line. Trent's on his last straw this year, IMHO.

It would be crazy getting rid of Peters now. Dockery's gone, Fowler's gone (which is a good thing), you're talking about 2 of 5 new starters for us, then you get rid of Peters and you have a totally rebuilt line. This year, Edwards can't afford to get killed behind a new line. Trent's on his last straw this year, IMHO.

i agree with this. as much as i think he's going to cause more trouble than he is worth, if we are keeping Jauron and Co. for the sake of "continuity", then I think we need to keep Peters for the same reason. The OLine is the place on the field where continuity is most important.

Although, I guess the flip-side of that is since Fowler and Dock are already gone, we've lost the continuity on the left side anyways...

i dont know. part of me likes the idea of getting Philly's 2 1st round picks, and I'm torn on Peters.

Putting Peters' obvious talent and the critical need of the LT position aside, you have to look at how you mange the overall roster.

OBD (Wilson) has rarely given in to a player's salary demands when the player hasn't proven the worthiness of the money. So, while it's good to look at how Ralph handled Bruce's, Kelly's & Thurman's renegotiation demands, there was never a question of those HoF'ers commitment to the team or to playing at the very best of their abilities on Sunday.

Thus, I'm guessing that Peters' actions in '08 - holding out and then coming back to play at a wholly subpar level - did not sit well with Wilson, who is rightfully thinking that if getting a fat contract in 2009 is the only motivating force for Peters to play well, how will that translate to his game in 2010 when other players in the NFL will get paid more?

It's not an easy call from a manager's standpoint, and I'm guessing that Bell's progress and Pace's availability will factor huge in the decision.

Must not be true , NO one else has anything on this .

Post it if it is out floating around .

http://www.phillyburbs.com/opinions/blog_p...on-horizon.html

CLAYTON THEORIZED either a possible targeted trade in peters or boldin and possibly looking at orlando pace.

Just a theory not any basis of facts in the rumor which makes it 100% rumor.

Seeing how almost something like this discussion happens with just about every halfway decent player on the Bills at some point it says nothing about Peters.

It does say something about (a number of) the posters on this board, however...

:thumbsup::w00t: