I ALMOST wish JP was here for this

300yrds

OK first of all...JP was an overall bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any other system with any other personel, JP is not a fit, but this could work for him...where TE could flounder, or visa versa TE would flourish in a Tenn type offense and JP would be a garbage man

I am worried about Trent this year, he will have one of the best(if not the best) WR pair in the NFL. The jury is still out on him, with the weapons he has he cannot regularly look at his checkdowns. He has to put the ball in the Endzone 20+ times in the air. He has to be better than servicable at this point. It is just scary because offensively this season is soley on TE shoulders and our success on that side of the ball is completely hingent on him.

JP on the other hand was not capable of managing an entire game, or reading defenses, but with the cast we have now, his style of drop back and chuck it might work better than TE. JP could open up the field and attempt to utilize these weapons. Not to mention he was very accurate with the long ball, it was everything else that sucked. That was a problem then, but could be an asset now.

I dont know much about Fitzpatrick, is he capable of operating WHEN TE goes down.

Just a thought

I'm not gonna get into a JP vs TE style debate, but I'll say this. Owens is not a deep threat wr. He's a better version of what eric moulds was. Work that intermediate range and work after the catch. A Phsyical posession wr with speed and power. Best at working the middle of the field, tailor made for the strengths of Trent Edwards. The presence alone will take away a majority of the over the top coverage on evans, allowing Edwards to take more shots down the field as well. It is put up or shut up time for Trent though. We shall see.

I'm not gonna get into a JP vs TE style debate, but I'll say this. Owens is not a deep threat wr. He's a better version of what eric moulds was. Work that intermediate range and work after the catch. A Phsyical posession wr with speed and power. Best at working the middle of the field, tailor made for the strengths of Trent Edwards. The presence alone will take away a majority of the over the top coverage on evans, allowing Edwards to take more shots down the field as well. It is put up or shut up time for Trent though. We shall see.

I gotta disagree here with you...TO is a big deep play threat...may not be his biggest strength, but he makes plenty of deep plays because of his excellent route running and stregnth he is able to create seperation.

JP played well when he was in a wide-open offense, as he was in 2006. Then we closed up the offense on him and wondered why he didn't play well in a system carefully calculated to magnify his weaknesses and avoid his strengths.

We will have to open the offense up to take advantage of TO and what he brings, and how his presence will benefit the other players on offense. JP would have fit in well with an opened up offense. But I'm still not sure Schonert is smart enough to use TO well.

Lee will be open for a lot of long balls this year, though we'll be throwing short and medium range stuff a lot also. JP would have fit in well. He was consitutionally unable to accept going to his safety valves on nearly every play, and this led to him not fitting the system here. He threw short range passes very well when he could bring himself to do it, but too often he didn't even look there because he wanted to make something happen downfield. Now that he had two serious downfield and mid-range threats, assuming the Bills find ways to throw to them, JP would have fit better.

Oh, well, them's the breaks. JP will be on an NFL roster this year and sooner or later will have a chance to play when somebody goes down. And his inability to successfully run an extremely conservative offense will have been noted. Only teams willing to open it up a bit will even look at him. So he will have a chance, and we will see what happens.

JP played well when he was in a wide-open offense, as he was in 2006. Then we closed up the offense on him and wondered why he didn't play well in a system carefully calculated to magnify his weaknesses and avoid his strengths.

We will have to open the offense up to take advantage of TO and what he brings, and how his presence will benefit the other players on offense. JP would have fit in well with an opened up offense. But I'm still not sure Schonert is smart enough to use TO well.

Lee will be open for a lot of long balls this year, though we'll be throwing short and medium range stuff a lot also. JP would have fit in well. He was consitutionally unable to accept going to his safety valves on nearly every play, and this led to him not fitting the system here. He threw short range passes very well when he could bring himself to do it, but too often he didn't even look there because he wanted to make something happen downfield. Now that he had two serious downfield and mid-range threats, assuming the Bills find ways to throw to them, JP would have fit better.

Oh, well, them's the breaks. JP will be on an NFL roster this year and sooner or later will have a chance to play when somebody goes down. And his inability to successfully run an extremely conservative offense will have been noted. Only teams willing to open it up a bit will even look at him. So he will have a chance, and we will see what happens.

Good post. I agree with your assessment. JP does not fit the dink and dunk O we're running here. In another situation things could have been different, but it's all water over the dam now.

OK first of all...JP was an overall bust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In any other system with any other personel, JP is not a fit, but this could work for him...where TE could flounder, or visa versa TE would flourish in a Tenn type offense and JP would be a garbage man

I am worried about Trent this year, he will have one of the best(if not the best) WR pair in the NFL. The jury is still out on him, with the weapons he has he cannot regularly look at his checkdowns. He has to put the ball in the Endzone 20+ times in the air. He has to be better than servicable at this point. It is just scary because offensively this season is soley on TE shoulders and our success on that side of the ball is completely hingent on him.

JP on the other hand was not capable of managing an entire game, or reading defenses, but with the cast we have now, his style of drop back and chuck it might work better than TE. JP could open up the field and attempt to utilize these weapons. Not to mention he was very accurate with the long ball, it was everything else that sucked. That was a problem then, but could be an asset now.

I dont know much about Fitzpatrick, is he capable of operating WHEN TE goes down.

Just a thought

JP was pretty much a bust, but he still has one of the strongest arms in the league. Some of those bombs he used to his Evans on were sweet. T.O. would have bigger numbers as would Evans if JP were QB, but we would also have more turnovers and bad checkoffs at the line of scrimmage.

Perhaps the biggest myth in Bills history is the "JP thrived throwing the long ball" and "he works best when they open it up" stuff that you guys still cling to. Those long bomb TDs to Evans were few and far between and usually were the result of Lee outrunning his man and Losman tossing it as far as he could while getting leveled. Once Evans started getting smothered in coverage, we found out how bad JP really was.

There are maybe two QBs last year who "thrived" in a "wide open" system that you fantasize JP belongs in: Brees and Warner. JP would absolutely fail on either of those teams--he's just not in the same universe as those two guys re: intelligence and skills.

The bottom line is that he cannot identify his second option before he takes the sack. I can't tell if he just doesn't have the intelligence or he just doesn't prepare/study like the best QBs do. His film study habits were said to be minimal. His fatal flaw is that he always believed he was every bit as good as those scouts who put him with E. Manning, Rivers and Big Ben said he was.

JP would be a great intramural QB or a pickup game QB, where he faced no decisions and every play would be a "fly" pattern.....where he could "scramble" (remember how he was going to be a great "scrambling QB"?) and no one would ever chase him down.

It makes a nice story though, boys, to clutch close to the heart when the reality of JPs career in Buffalo intrudes into your moldy memories.

I gotta disagree here with you...TO is a big deep play threat...may not be his biggest strength, but he makes plenty of deep plays because of his excellent route running and stregnth he is able to create seperation.

I knew I was gonna disagree with you sooner or later. :thumbsup: TO has been a dangerous deep play threat, but his strenghts has been more for the intermediate routes as of lately. He is fearless going across the middle and I suspect that is how Buffalo will use him this year.

I'm pretty sure you will see him running lots of 10-20 yard routes this year.

Man that would be sweet, seeing him run the slant

Sure he would...it is one of the fundamentals of basketball!
I don't think Owens going to be happy when he is open and Edwards is throwing to the backs out of the backfield.Edwards is good ay everything 5 yards and in.everything 6 yards or more he hardly throws.Thats why he completes 65% his passes and more fg than T.D.s.You complain about Losman .but his only year as a starter we were 7 and 9 and with edwards playing the last two years 7 and 9.So our we better with edwards starting?The year before Losman started every game we won 5 games.We haven't gotten better since,Everybody seems happy with Edwards but he got worse his second year as a starter with the same system two tears in a row.

Actually it is a good post. The thought briefly crossed my mind as JP could throw that ball a mile and a half and both TO and Lee Evans would use every bit of skill and speed they have to get under it. Alas JP has not grown nor shown the pocket presence to develop that asset. I don't know what is in store for the guy but IF (big if) he hangs on as a backup there is an outside chance he might possibly (barely a chance) get a fourth or fifth chance to establish himself.

Have any teams shown any interest in JP so far? Also if I remember right, more often than not, JP was wildly inaccurate with the long ball.

I am not aware of any team bringing JP in for a visit. But I am sure he will find a team. He can play in this league if given the right coach and system. I don't think JP's long ball is more accurate than his short/medium range passes. I think he is inaccurate when he got too excited. I have seen him play perfect games before when all his passes were right on the money. However, I don't think he received proper coaching because all the years with the Bills. he was always looking over his shoulder. He never had a mentor to tell him what he was doing wrong. I always got the feeling with him that he felt it was him against the world. When he got tight, he would grip the ball too hard and ended up throwing bounce passes with the short balls, and threw over receivers head with the long ball. I thought if he would just relax, he would be more accurate. I wish him the best.

I'm not. What good is a rocket arm if you're not smart enough to get the pass off.

Jeff Garcia throws like a 12 year old girl and that may be offensive to 12 year old girls. But he was great with TO. TE will be fine. My biggest conern is that he will stay healthy.

I have to disagree with you too. There was a time when he was a deep play threat and it still may happen on occasion, but his strengths are mid range passes and running with the ball after the catch, which at this point of his career is the strongest part of his game.

I don't think Owens going to be happy when he is open and Edwards is throwing to the backs out of the backfield.Edwards is good ay everything 5 yards and in.everything 6 yards or more he hardly throws.Thats why he completes 65% his passes and more fg than T.D.s.You complain about Losman .but his only year as a starter we were 7 and 9 and with edwards playing the last two years 7 and 9.So our we better with edwards starting?The year before Losman started every game we won 5 games.We haven't gotten better since,Everybody seems happy with Edwards but he got worse his second year as a starter with the same system two tears in a row.

Maybe Trent and JP will re-unite in the NBA D-Leauge!