Coles to Bengals

JoeF

Sorry to be a wiseass, but how difficult is it to scan the top 2 headlines to see that a thread has already been started? And it's not like this one came in within a few seconds of the other one?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Note to everyone who says that is too much:

OBVIOUSLY IT IS TOO MUCH, who the hell would want to play for the Bengals? Regardless, Coles was never going to sign for his supposed value. The WR FA market was weak and Coles did not put up terrible numbers last season. Yes he is old, but he has a track record.

The Bills will NEVER sign good players w/o overpaying. 7 million was a lot, but that is what it takes unfort. and our FO needs to realize it sooner or later.

You must be forgetting the power of the whammie weenie and the wing, that will bring them in.

It's good to see him out of the division at the very least. The FO was wise not to pay that kind of money to a wideout whose 31 and will be 35 by the end of the contract. I only hope they spend the money they saved on Coles and don't sit on it. It has been a low impact offseason so far and if the Bills aquire any real impact players it will be through the draft or trade.

ehhh, guess im glad we didnt overpay for him, if for no other reason than to not have to listen to all the chicken littles on this board complaining about how the FO sucks and that we overpaid him. even though it wouldve been the same people who are criticizing the FO for letting him get away....

would have loved to see him in a Bills uni. Especially now that Leonhard might be starting at safety in our division. oh well.

Now Edwards will struggle and we will be left wondering if he is the guy or not. The front office just will not help this guy develop. We blew it.

How can any of you say that you wouldn't take Coles at $7 mil? When a team is $30 million under the cap they can overpay a receiver for what it would mean to the rest of the teams progress. You guys would actually not want to sign a guy for a fraction more of our salary cap room, to fix a major issue? Wow. Hard for me to understand the logic in that.

No TE, No Receiver. Total BS. What the hell is $1-1.5 mil more a year going to hurt? Stop us from signing a washed up linebacker?

Now Edwards will struggle and we will be left wondering if he is the guy or not. The front office just will not help this guy develop. We blew it.

How can any of you say that you wouldn't take Coles at $7 mil? When a team is $30 million under the cap they can overpay a receiver for what it would mean to the rest of the teams progress. You guys would actually not want to sign a guy for a fraction more of our salary cap room, to fix a major issue? Wow. Hard for me to understand the logic in that.

No TE, No Receiver. Total BS. What the hell is $1-1.5 mil more a year going to hurt? Stop us from signing a washed up linebacker?

because we have more than one hole to fill on this team. i dont completely disagree with what you are saying, but if we are going to overpay for Coles, then we need to overpay for a LB and a DE and a TE and OG and...

and soon enough we'll not only be out of cap room, but end up handcuffed by our payroll if one of those players busts.

FA is about overpaying to some extent since its one big bidding war. but its also a big gamble too.

Sorry, you're wrong there. This man is over 30. If he was younger then I could see overpaying. There will be other options out there. Don't discount any trade opportunities or draft. I can't believe you think that highly of Coles.. that frightens me.

So, the Bills are way under the cap and have no passing game. We have a chance to bring in an NFL caliber WR and blow that chance because they won't pony up enough money. And some fans applaud this because they don't want the Bills to "waste money".

Seems sort of difficult to improve the talent on the team by adding nothing but bargain bin, second-rate players. But, hey, we saved a couple of bucks. When the Bills offense looks like a steaming pile on the field next year, remember how happy we should be because we saved some cap money.

:rolleyes:

Dave,

I see your point of view.

Mine is that while I have no problem spending Ralph Wilson's money and really dont care what they paid Coles....but that whatever money they gave him will probably have a direct impact on how much we offer to other free agents.....

We still have a lot of needs.....I actually think a quality tight end is going to be worth more to this team then a 2nd receiver.......hoping we get both.

I think the bigger question here is what was the difference in guaranteed money of the 2 offers? I read Buffalo offered 3 year 20 mill which is pretty close to what he got and maybe Buffalo went up on it last night but perhaps Cinci offered more guaranteed cash.

because we have more than one hole to fill on this team. i dont completely disagree with what you are saying, but if we are going to overpay for Coles, then we need to overpay for a LB and a DE and a TE and OG and...

and soon enough we'll not only be out of cap room, but end up handcuffed by our payroll if one of those players busts.

FA is about overpaying to some extent since its one big bidding war. but its also a big gamble too.

The gamble is sending Edwards back out there for with the same core of below average talent. That's the thing, we didn't overpay for a LB, DE, TE, or OG. I could understand you saying don't over pay for a DE and then for a WR. But we did neither. We once again brought no impact players to this team. I would prefer a gamble or two.

Coles was paid more than I think he was worth. But I recall a lot of fans who assumed the Bills would make some moves with their cap room to get fans back after keeping DJ. They just didn't think it'd be a backup QB, lifelong backup C, and nickel CB.

The "big move" everyone assumed would happen because DJ was retained isn't going to. I don't see another player out there to significantly improve this team. Instead they'll keep looking for reclamation projects they hope can play. I thought we learned after 2006 that spending on lesser players won't work.

Guess they're relying on draft day to hype the team. Par for the course, now all we need is Chris Brown with his cheerleader pieces.

$28M for 4 years per rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...=NFL&id=109

Bengals agreed to terms with WR Laveranues Coles, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter. The deal will pay $28 million over four years.

It's official. I just got an e-maill @ 4:25 from wgr. They are always breaking sports news first!