Tony Scheffler Is On The Trade Block!

Tony Scheffler-TE- Broncos Mar. 4 - 8:36 am et

The Denver Post confirms the Broncos have been shopping TE Tony Scheffler.

Scheffler's skills aren't a great fit for Josh McDaniels' offense that uses three wide receivers and a blocking tight end (Daniel Graham). Even in a potentially explosive offense, Scheffler's value would take a hit if he stays in Denver. His best fit would be in a West Coast offense with two tight ends.

Source: Denver Post

Related: Daniel Graham

Scheffler on trade block.

The Broncos have been shopping Tony Scheffler. Scheffler, 26, is considered one of the NFL's best receivers at tight end — his average of 16.1 yards per catch led all players at his position with at least 40 receptions last year.

However, there is concern Scheffler might not fit in the New England offensive system that new coach Josh McDaniels has brought with him to Denver.

New England's offense usually lines up with three wide receivers and one tight end. The Broncos already have the prototype New England-style tight end in Daniel Graham, who played for the Patriots from 2002-06. Graham left New England for free agency in part because the Pats rarely use the tight end in their passing game.

The most logical destinations for Scheffler are teams that operate the West Coast offense, which often uses a second tight end in the game. The Philadelphia Eagles have the most prominent West Coast offense.

Yes, this would be a great pickup, but don't overpay. Remember a few years back when the Jets gave up a 1st round pick for Doug Jolley? Yeah, that's overpaying. I'd say no more than a third rounder, or a fourth and a fifth.

Buffalo won't even attempt to do this because it makes too much sense. Makes me sick.

If he can't block worth a damn, he really doesn't fit the Bills, right now, IMO. They have to have a guy that can hold his own on the line, AND be a reliable outlet for Trent. Any downfield ability is a bonus, right now.

Now, if he is a decent blocker, then by all means, let's take a look.

are you guys kidding me? C'mon, do you honestly think that the Bills will go after him? Man, it seems anytime someone voices their opinion, people jump down their throat on this board. Everybody needs to chill.

I'd give up a 3rd and a conditional next season, but nothing higher than that. We need our picks like Marshawn needs his lawyer :thumbsup:

Decent TE's are as rare as decent QB's - in the case of TE's most of them are play pro basketball.

If the Bills have ANY chance of getting this guy - they should make the attempt. The only thing off the table is a 1st rounder.

My God the guy catches over 40 balls at 16+ yards a pop? as a TE????

If this trade rumor is true, I sure hope the Bills are making inquiries.

By the way - check out "Rumblings" comments: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/

The way I see it, we're most likely going to spend a 2nd on the best available TE. Be it Jared Cook, Shawn Nelson, or Chase Coffman. I don't see us taking Pettigrew unless we trade down because it's a deep draft at TE, #11 would be a HUGE reach, and he's got character issues. So throw a 3rd there way and see if that flies. If not, try a 2nd.

We're going to spend it on an unproven TE anyways.

If he can't block worth a damn, he really doesn't fit the Bills, right now, IMO. They have to have a guy that can hold his own on the line, AND be a reliable outlet for Trent. Any downfield ability is a bonus, right now.

Now, if he is a decent blocker, then by all means, let's take a look.

I thought we already had one of those "decent blocking TE". His name was Robert Royal. He sucked at catching.

Time to try a new approach. Let's get a TE that can actually catch a ball. That way, when "checkdown charlie" ignores his WR (again ... well, hopefully not), he'll have another target to choose from.

That way, if Edwards gets comfortable and confident throwing to a reliable TE, he'll start trusting his WR, and take chances down field.