Ask Tim Graham

Lori

You are only looking at the heavyweight division, open your eyes and look at the lightweight & Jr. welterweight divisions; some great fights there.

The death of boxing has so many elements to it, but not being able to relate to the fighters is a significant one. The upper weight classes are dominated by former Soviet Bloc nations. The lower weight classes are dominated by Spanish-speaking and Asian fighters. The average U.S. fan doesn't get to know the personalities because of cultural and language barriers.

The lack of boxing on free TV and the rise of MMA as a hip sport among younger, money-spending fans don't help. Boxing, like horse racing, has become an old man's sport. Sponsors are sinking money into MMA instead.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The death of boxing has so many elements to it, but not being able to relate to the fighters is a significant one. The upper weight classes are dominated by former Soviet Bloc nations. The lower weight classes are dominated by Spanish-speaking and Asian fighters. The average U.S. fan doesn't get to know the personalities because of cultural and language barriers.

The lack of boxing on free TV and the rise of MMA as a hip sport among younger, money-spending fans don't help. Boxing, like horse racing, has become an old man's sport. Sponsors are sinking money into MMA instead.

All true, I couldn't agree more.

But the biggest problem for me is that there are no "fun-to-watch" fighters in the Heavyweight Division. It's just not exciting any more. Iron Mike in the mid-80's to mid-90's was a lot of fun to watch for me. The Heavyweight Division got dull for me after Lennox Lewis' reign was ended when he retired.

Tim that recking ball message was not intended for you it was a reply to the poster before me talking about the heavyweight division. :thumbsup:

Color me old I guess. :thumbdown:

With regard to the Heavyweight division, it's a bit boring because no one can challenge the Klitschko brothers and they won't fight each other. Watching Vitali outclass a "top" fighter after a 4 year layoff is indicative of the dearth of viable contenders. Moreover, neither fighter is particularly fluid. The last Heavyweight fight that I really enjoyed was Lewis/Klitschko.

In terms of personality, Wladimir has a great personality and his English is quite good. In time he might enter the public consciousness. Vitali is more introverted -- although I had dinner with him a few years ago and he tells some hilarious stories.

Tim, which two fighters, in any weight class, would you like to see box? Any thoughts on Vasyl Lomachenko?

Isn't this thread supposed to be about asking Tim questions? I believe side discussions should be taken elsewhere.

With that said, did you ever find out who is there representing the Bills?

Isn't this thread supposed to be about asking Tim questions? I believe side discussions should be taken elsewhere.

With that said, did you ever find out who is there representing the Bills?

At the meetings in Ralph Wilson's place, you mean? Russ Brandon.

And as the one who got Tim started on boxing, one of his favorite subjects, I don't see a problem with taking a few posts to chat about it. Beats multiple iterations of "What have you heard about [player name here] since the last person asked two hours ago?"

But that's just my opinion, and it's not my thread ... :nana:

Hey Tim. Thanks for hangin' with us.

So it's being reported that Tony Gonzalez still interested in a trade. Will the Bills make another play for him? What are our chances? Heard anything?

Thanks man. Enjoy your time here in Southern Cal.

-pistol

Tim, there was an article on cbssports and yahoo that stated that Jason Peters agent is Vincent Taylor. I'm thinking that they misquoted his agent. Can you clear it up for us. Also do you know if they are continuing negotions as well?

Tim, do you foresee many trades developing from the owners meetings? Also, what players do you think are most likely to be dealt?

thanks

I don't see any Bills trades being stimulated by the talks here. Some flirting has taken place, but from what I understand there have been no serious overtures made.

At the meetings in Ralph Wilson's place, you mean? Russ Brandon.

And as the one who got Tim started on boxing, one of his favorite subjects, I don't see a problem with taking a few posts to chat about it. Beats multiple iterations of "What have you heard about [player name here] since the last person asked two hours ago?"

But that's just my opinion, and it's not my thread ... :thumbsup:

Yes, Russ Brandon is here along with a few other members of the Bills front office.

I don't see any Bills trades being stimulated by the talks here. Some flirting has taken place, but from what I understand there have been no serious overtures made.

Hey Tim,

Thanks again for all the updates...

Can you lend some insight on the "flirting" as to what players and teams the Bills were in "flirtation" with?

You're assuming in that scenario that the NFL is like the real world and phases out proven talent. In businesses where it doesn't matter who is doing the work, you would have a point. But in the case of the NFL, proven talent never is phased out in exchange for cheaper talent. Never. Superstars always will get paid, so escalating rookie salaries are great for elite players.

A janitor or a blogger can be replaced by younger, cheaper talent. But an NFL quarterback or left tackle or cover corner will never be out of work if he can do the job well. And the best will always make more than what blue-chip rookies establish in previous years. Jake Long will be the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history for only a brief period. As soon as a veteran Pro Bowler's contract is up, he will make at least as much as Long.

Very interesting, great points, capitalism in action! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Hey Tim. Thanks for hangin' with us.

So it's being reported that Tony Gonzalez still interested in a trade. Will the Bills make another play for him? What are our chances? Heard anything?

Thanks man. Enjoy your time here in Southern Cal.

-pistol

Believe it or not, Tony Gonzalez and I were at the same hotel yesterday, but I didn't approach him because he was spending quiet time with friends. Although I did observe for a while in hopes the luncheon broke up or he excused himself. I would have asked him about the Bills. Anyway, I generally let guys have their privacy in situations like that.

Do the Bills make another play for him? I could see it. Tight end might be their No. 1 remaining priority.

Tim, there was an article on cbssports and yahoo that stated that Jason Peters agent is Vincent Taylor. I'm thinking that they misquoted his agent. Can you clear it up for us. Also do you know if they are continuing negotions as well?

I do know from a conversation I had this week at the owners meetings that the Bills are dealing with Eugene Parker on the Jason Peters' situation. But Vincent Taylor is listed with the NFLPA as Peters' official agent of record. I think it's an arranged co-agent relationship.

Hey Tim,

Thanks again for all the updates...

Can you lend some insight on the "flirting" as to what players and teams the Bills were in "flirtation" with?

I can't divulge right now, but you'll see some of the information come out as I write about various subjects in the coming days. Now that I'm back home, I need to make some follow up calls to check out some of the info I've gathered this week.

I do know from a conversation I had this week at the owners meetings that the Bills are dealing with Eugene Parker on the Jason Peters' situation. But Vincent Taylor is listed with the NFLPA as Peters' official agent of record. I think it's an arranged co-agent relationship.

If you're interested, there's a separate thread on the Parker/Taylor thing:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=85762