Ask Tim Graham

Lori

Tim,

I enjoyed your article on voluntary workouts. While I'd like to see Owens there, meeting his new teammates and developing chemistry, I can't help but find myself not the least bit bothered by his absence. We know he'll be in great shape and the OTAs and Camp seem like enough time for him to gel with Trent and Lee.

Also, I wonder if instead of ignoring team activities and not talking to anyone, that if Peters actually showed up and displayed a great work ethic, a desire to be with his fellow Bills and be in top form/playing shape, that the Bills may be more inclined to close the gap on what the two sides think he should be paid.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tim, not trying to slice atoms but do the succesful teams-ie' Colts, Pats and Steelers allow their respective Modrak counterparts to live outside of the area they work in. I'd be curious, not sure if they follow the practice of the Jets and Bills.

Rather than thumb through 32 media guides, I happen to have a stack in front of me on my desk. Let's take a sampling ..

Ravens director of college scouting Eric DeCosta lives in Baltimore ...

Jets vice president of college scouting Joey Clinkscales lives in Memphis ...

Titans senior supervisor of national college scouting (that's a mouthful) C.J. Brocato lives in Arlington, Texas ...

Dolphins director of college scouting Chris Grier lives in Weston, Fla. ...

Steelers coordinator of college scouting Ron Hughes lives in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. ...

Chargers director of college scouting is a Spanos and Giants director of player evaluation is a Mara, so they don't count ...

Colts, Cardinals and Browns don't have directors of college scouting or similar titles ...

Raiders don't list hometowns ...

Patriots don't list hometowns and don't really have a college scouting director, but I think Floyd Reese is staying in Nashville ...

Rather than thumb through 32 media guides, I happen to have a stack in front of me on my desk. Let's take a sampling ..

Ravens director of college scouting Eric DeCosta lives in Baltimore ...

Jets vice president of college scouting Joey Clinkscales lives in Memphis ...

Titans senior supervisor of national college scouting (that's a mouthful) C.J. Brocato lives in Arlington, Texas ...

Dolphins director of college scouting Chris Grier lives in Weston, Fla. ...

Steelers coordinator of college scouting Ron Hughes lives in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. ...

I think that's enough to demonstrate there is no typical situation, and living in a different city, or state, isn't that unusual. I think it also shows that successful teams can have that arrangement, too.

Who cares about the mailing address of the head of college scouting? As long as he's where he need to be, and he's available to the team, when they need him in Buffalo, or wherever, I don't care were he calls "home". If he isn't doing his job...well, that's another thing, entirely.

I think that's enough to demonstrate there is no typical situation, and living in a different city, or state, isn't that unusual. I think it also shows that successful teams can have that arrangement, too.

Who cares about the mailing address of the head of college scouting? As long as he's where he need to be, and he's available to the team, when they need him in Buffalo, or wherever, I don't care were he calls "home". If he isn't doing his job...well, that's another thing, entirely.

Dean, I don't think that was the answer Abqmarko was looking for :rolleyes:

Tim,

I enjoyed your article on voluntary workouts. While I'd like to see Owens there, meeting his new teammates and developing chemistry, I can't help but find myself not the least bit bothered by his absence. We know he'll be in great shape and the OTAs and Camp seem like enough time for him to gel with Trent and Lee.

Also, I wonder if instead of ignoring team activities and not talking to anyone, that if Peters actually showed up and displayed a great work ethic, a desire to be with his fellow Bills and be in top form/playing shape, that the Bills may be more inclined to close the gap on what the two sides think he should be paid.

Sorry that I missed this question and it took me so long to answer.

Thanks for the compliment on the voluntary workout story.

Your theory about Jason Peters absolutely is correct. If the Bills were more comfortable with his commitment they would reward that, just as they did Lee Evans last year.

Your theory about Jason Peters absolutely is correct. If the Bills were more comfortable with his commitment they would reward that, just as they did Lee Evans last year.

I couldnt agree with this more... :thumbsup:

tim

sorry to ask about cutler, but last night, denver did announce they were seeking to trade him. is there a scenario that buffalo will entertain the idea of trading for cutler. as you know, we havent had an elite qb since jimbo. thank you

Tim,

Are you getting any sense at all that the front office is looking to shop Lynch a bit harder than what we are hearing or may be expecting?

It seems as if some influential members of the community may have run out of patience with some of Lynch's "misunderstandings", and it is only a matter of time before another "misunderstanding" occurs. As much as he seems to have great football character, that mutual respect does not look to translate off of the field. I would think this trying of patience has been communicated to the front office.

Thanks for the response.

It just makes sense that if Peters wants to be paid like the top LT, that he practice and play like one.

Tim,

Your colleague Kevin Seifert called the #1 pick a "toxic asset" due to the guaranteed money and the pressure that rides on it. Also, he said Denver didn't even want it for Cutler. Ross Tucker at SI even suggested the Lions just let their time expire. And the conventional wisdom is that the most valuable picks are around 10-15, or even later. My question is, if that's true, when do we get to the point where a team in the Lions' position would actually trade straight up for a later pick, such as with the Bills? Nobody's ever able to trade the top pick because of the draft value chart. Will it take someone with the stature in the league to not be afraid of bucking history? (If so, no one would have been in a better position to do that than Parcells last year.) Or will there be a rookie wage scale before we ever get to that point?

Tim,

Are you getting any sense at all that the front office is looking to shop Lynch a bit harder than what we are hearing or may be expecting?

It seems as if some influential members of the community may have run out of patience with some of Lynch's "misunderstandings", and it is only a matter of time before another "misunderstanding" occurs. As much as he seems to have great football character, that mutual respect does not look to translate off of the field. I would think this trying of patience has been communicated to the front office.

My sources at One Bills Drive tell me the Bills haven't considered trading Marshawn Lynch, but he's one strike away from forcing the Bills to part ways with him.

They may have dipped their toes, but i doubt they were ever comfortable offering anything close to what the bears did.

Oh, I'm not sure they even dipped their toes. But, they certainly sat down, discussed it, tried to figure out what the offer would be, who would be involved, etc. Discussed internally, if they should have interest, etc. I'd like to think they have a conversation like that, and get some intelligence together, on just about every big/interesting free agent. If they use a team approach to the FO, and don't make a habit out of stuff like that, they really aren't trying at all, IMO.

Tim,

Your colleague Kevin Seifert called the #1 pick a "toxic asset" due to the guaranteed money and the pressure that rides on it. Also, he said Denver didn't even want it for Cutler. Ross Tucker at SI even suggested the Lions just let their time expire. And the conventional wisdom is that the most valuable picks are around 10-15, or even later. My question is, if that's true, when do we get to the point where a team in the Lions' position would actually trade straight up for a later pick, such as with the Bills? Nobody's ever able to trade the top pick because of the draft value chart. Will it take someone with the stature in the league to not be afraid of bucking history? (If so, no one would have been in a better position to do that than Parcells last year.) Or will there be a rookie wage scale before we ever get to that point?

The No. 1 pick can be a difficult asset to manage because of the guaranteed money involved and plenty of risk. I covered the No. 1 pick last year when the Miami Dolphins had it, and they did try to trade it. But that was because there can be greater value a little farther down based on the contract and it's always worth exploring. But the Dolphins weren't disappointed to get stuck with a franchise left tackle, believe me.

As for letting your clock run out, Tucker wrote the same column last year regarding the Dolphins. It's within the rules, but there's no way a team would do that. It's ridiculous and would cheapen a prestigious NFL moment.