Bills dodged a huge bullet

Fingon

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen has reported, with excellent elaboration via ESPN.com’s Tim Graham, that the Buccaneers offered a first-round and a third-round pick for quarterback Matt Cassel as part of the menage-a-trade that would have sent quarterback Matt Cassel to the Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler to Tampa.

So why did the Pats pass?

A reader has shared with us this nugget from Michael Felger of WEEI. Put simply, the Bucs arrived at the party too late (and possibly with a cinnamon bobka).

If that’s the case, then it all makes sense.

But Mort says (via Graham) that the Broncos were willing to give up their own first-round pick — No. 12 overall in the draft — for Cassel. Under those circumstances, why didn’t Belichick bite?

We agree with Mortensen’s suggestion that Belichick would be less willing to help a former assistant coach than to help the front-office guy who helped set the table for those three Super Bowl victories in four year.

Mort also suggests that the Pats leaked word of the Broncos’ effort to trade Cutler to the Boston Globe as a way to mess with the Broncos.

Um, wow.

We only wish that the Broncos and Pats played each other twice per year. As a consolation, the Broncos and Chiefs still do.

UPDATE: Tom Curran also reports that the Bucs and Broncos showed up after Pats coach Bill Belichick had decided to pull the trigger on the trade with the Chiefs. Credit Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli for: (1) knowing that the Patriots were ready to do something right away with Cassel; and (2) getting a number and placing his order while the other teams were still loitering in the lobby of Schnitzer’s.

per pft

Here's the original blog post PFT is talking about: Why would Pats turn down 12th pick for Cassel?

Tim included part of his e-mail exchange with Mort:

This one defies logic, but a source I really trust tells me it's true: The Broncos were willing to offer their own first-round pick (12th overall) to the Patriots for Cassel. Obviously, it was conditional upon Cutler being traded and Tampa Bay was the most likely destination, the Bucs willing to part with their first- and third-round picks.

But Belichick never embraced a trade with the Broncos, even though it was a head-scratcher on the value part (second-rounder versus a first-rounder). It suggests two or three speculative thoughts:

1. Belichick has always valued second-round picks (he now has three) and didn't want to be stuck at No. 12 financially for whatever reason;

2. Belichick had an agreement with Pioli all along and wouldn't break his word;

3. Belichick isn't about to help another former assistant.

The Broncos sensed resistance all along, which is why they held the Bucs, Lions, Vikings, etc., at arm's length and allows McDaniels his plausible deniability on trading Cutler (and logic supports his denial).

However, despite intense efforts to keep this run at Cassel under wraps, enough damage has been done that Cutler may now be on the block.

The Broncos/Cutler aspect of the trade was reported by the Boston Globe. A Patriots' leak? Why? To mess with McDaniels?

It's BS. Belichick wouldn't turn-down a 1st rounder.

oh, you underestimate Belichek. I don't think he thinks in the normal realms that most of us do. If you read those reasons, specifically not wanting to give Denver the qb that the New HC wants, that could be reason enough.

Think about it, it's the 12th pick and the 33rd pick, it's not that much of a difference. I buy it.

Obviously this Brady is going to be alright and their two back-ups, Kevin O'Connell and Matt Gutierrez, were two QBs I was hoping Buffalo was going to draft, are more than adequate. What better than to clear cap room and then rework Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour's contracts. It's better for them to keep their own then go out and try and get someone like Julius Peppers, who is unhappy and looking for big money.

Keep in mind that Pioli and Belichick go back, waaay back. You do know that the Chiefs' GM Scott Pioli is Bill Parcells' son-in-law right, and he chose to stay with Belichick after the two Bills had their falling out? I remember reading awhile ago that when Belichick was with Cleveland I believe, Pioli was a jr scout and just about lived out of his car. Belichick took a genuine interest and liking to him and would look out for him. Every once in awhile when things went good Belichick would toss him a hundred bucks. Pioli said it was like gold to him back then, not having much even to eat but the guy worked his @$$ off for him and Belichick loved Pioli's passion. Make no mistake about it, these two are close, real close and I don't changing in the future. I fully expect the Chiefs and Patriots to be very franchise friendly for as long as these two are in power. It was such a good story of the relationship between two football guys that I don't even begrudge it, matter of fact I respect it.

The Chiefs are going to take over the AFC West before you know it, just like Belichick and the Patriots did and now how Parcells rapidly turned around the Dolphins' fortunes. AJ Smith is the only one in that division who has the savvy and football wits to match this Pioli, and to think that he was once one of us. Pioli put in Todd Haley as coach and I think that he's going to be a pretty good one. The coaching tree in KC has Maurice Carthon Dedric Ward. Geesh, I wonder who they use to play for??? Denver's coach Josh McDaniel is this year's version of Eric Mangini. Belichick has no loyalty to this guy, all he did was employ him. I'm not even going to mention the Raiders in this mix because really who cares?

I didn't mean to get into all this but this thread made me reflect and I'm realizing that there is going to be a power shift in this league and I see Kansas City being the new Patriots of the league in a few years. The good news is I don't think that Belichick is going to be around all that long. I believe that in a way the torch is getting past. now all we have to do is wait until this Parcells gets out of the way and I don't expect that to last all that long neither.

None of that makes any sense.

Why would the Broncos trade Cutler for Cassel straight up?

And then it says the Broncos were willing to give their 1st round pick up, too?

I don't buy it. The Broncos would need to receive MUCH more than just Matt Cassel in exchange for Cutler.

So the Pats and Bills both missed chances to improve their draft positions, touché.

The only difference is the perception of each team's fanbase--here, it's "of course we screwed up, we always screw up, it absolutely must have been our fault (even before anyone knows any of the facts)" whereas there it's always "no way the Pats* made a mistake--Belicheat* is God and God never makes mistakes, etc." which is a big part of why, of all the teams in the League, I hate the Pats* fans more than any others--the absolute arrogance (in the face of not winning a SB in going on 5 years now) is astounding.

Call me a hater, but one of my all time favorite NFL moments is and will always be that Giants SB loss--".....but....but....we're a dynasty--waaah!!"

The only difference is the perception of each team's fanbase--here, it's "of course we screwed up, we always screw up, it absolutely must have been our fault (even before anyone knows any of the facts)" whereas there it's always "no way the Pats* made a mistake--Belicheat* is God and God never makes mistakes, etc." which is a big part of why, of all the teams in the League, I hate the Pats* fans more than any others--the absolute arrogance (in the face of not winning a SB in going on 5 years now) is astounding.

Call me a hater, but one of my all time favorite NFL moments is and will always be that Giants SB loss--".....but....but....we're a dynasty--waaah!!"

If anyone doubts Matt's take on how Patriot* Nation is defending this, click on my link to Tim's blog and scroll down to the comments section.

(And if you feel like jumping into the fray, I won't stop you ... :wallbash: )

If anyone doubts Matt's take on how Patriot* Nation is defending this, click on my link to Tim's blog and scroll down to the comments section.

(And if you feel like jumping into the fray, I won't stop you ... :thumbsup: )

Hahaha. 864 comments -- and still going strong -- since 12:25 p.m. Somehow, it's now about the Steelers and HGH. And suddenly, Tim hanging out here instead of there makes perfect sense ...

oh, you underestimate Belichek. I don't think he thinks in the normal realms that most of us do. If you read those reasons, specifically not wanting to give Denver the qb that the New HC wants, that could be reason enough.

Think about it, it's the 12th pick and the 33rd pick, it's not that much of a difference. I buy it.

Your kidding right? Not much difference between the 12th & the 33rd pick????? If the Bills did something like this the media would be all over them. Bellijerk blew it big time imo. I know Peter King & all of the other jerks that kiss NEs a** could rationalize it all they want but Billy Boy totally underplayed his hand in concerns with Cassel. Either that or he let his personal feelings get in the way of business. Anyway you slice it though NE screwed the pooch on this one. Any other organization would of been raked over the coals for their lack of forsite in this situation, but because it is NE they get a free pass. I guess they have earned getting the benefit of the doubt, but it is aggravating nonetheless.