Jay Cutler being shopped around the league...

REPORTS: BRONCOS ENTERTAINED TRADING CUTLER

Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:22 PM

Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Vic Lombardi of CBS4 in Denver report that the Broncos have been shopping quarterback Jay Cutler.

Per both reports, the Bucs and Broncos were trying to swing a three-way deal pursuant to which Matt Cassel would have been traded from the Pats to the Broncos, Cutler would have gone from Denver to Tampa, and the Patriots would have been compensated presumably by the Buccaneers.

According to Schefter, the Lions also approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler.

And here's where it gets interesting. Schefter's version creates the impression that the Broncos didn't initiate the talks, and merely responded to the offers presented. Vic Lombardi's version suggests that the Broncos were and are shopping the eleventh overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler told Vic Lombardi. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

Despite Cutler's generally P.C. comments, Schefter contends that Cutler was angered by the news.

There's a consensus in league circles that Cutler has plateaued after showing some improvement early in the 2008 season. He has been criticized in some circles for having a nonchalant demeanor.

The reality is that, whenever there's a new coach, there's a chance that he'll want to pick his own quarterback. Regardless of whether the Broncos initiated the trade talks, the fact that the Broncos said anything other than "hell no" suggests that new coach Josh McDaniels wants to go in a different direction.

REPORTS: BRONCOS ENTERTAINED TRADING CUTLER

Posted by Mike Florio: Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:22 PM

Adam Schefter of NFL Network and Vic Lombardi of CBS4 in Denver report that the Broncos have been shopping quarterback Jay Cutler.

Per both reports, the Bucs and Broncos were trying to swing a three-way deal pursuant to which Matt Cassel would have been traded from the Pats to the Broncos, Cutler would have gone from Denver to Tampa, and the Patriots would have been compensated presumably by the Buccaneers.

According to Schefter, the Lions also approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler.

And here's where it gets interesting. Schefter's version creates the impression that the Broncos didn't initiate the talks, and merely responded to the offers presented. Vic Lombardi's version suggests that the Broncos were and are shopping the eleventh overall pick in the 2006 draft.

"I've heard the rumors," Cutler told Vic Lombardi. "I know what they're trying to do. Even though I love Denver and I'd love to remain a Bronco, I know how this business works. If they want me to play somewhere else, so be it."

Despite Cutler's generally P.C. comments, Schefter contends that Cutler was angered by the news.

There's a consensus in league circles that Cutler has plateaued after showing some improvement early in the 2008 season. He has been criticized in some circles for having a nonchalant demeanor.

The reality is that, whenever there's a new coach, there's a chance that he'll want to pick his own quarterback. Regardless of whether the Broncos initiated the trade talks, the fact that the Broncos said anything other than "hell no" suggests that new coach Josh McDaniels wants to go in a different direction.

Wow ... all I can say is wow. he is arguably the best young QB in the league .... why would Denver give him up?

Innnnnteresting. That could be the source of the "mystery team" rumors that popped up in the Cassel deal.

That's what I'd put my money on. Seeing as to the fact that he was going to a division rival. I'd expect Cutler to stick for the time being since the deal is done...however this does have shades of Bledsoe/Brady except for the fact that Cutler is a great deal younger than Bledsoe was when Belichick came aboard.

So many Bills fans cry and whine insisting Cassel will crash and burn once he leaves the Pats.

It's interesting that Pioli makes the trade for him, and his former offensive coordinator, McDaniels, would rather hitch his wagon to Cassel rather than Cutler.

The deal did not have Cutler going to the chiefs.

He's not even close to Rivers.

I couldn't agree more. I watched Rivers all the way through N.C. State and the NFL now and he is far better in my opinion than Cutler. Not to mention, Cutler has a terrible attitude. Some call it confidence, I say he's crossed over to arrogance and obnoxiousness.

Wow ... all I can say is wow. he is arguably the best young QB in the league .... why would Denver give him up?

:doh::wallbash:

It must just be me. He rarely plays well when I have the chance to watch him. He makes more bad decisions than any starting QB in the league, from my observations. He has talent, though.

:doh::wallbash:

It must just be me. He rarely plays well when I have the chance to watch him. He makes more bad decisions than any starting QB in the league, from my observations. He has talent, though.

The explosive hot start their offense had leads to this perception. Pro Bowl voting starts way to early. Matt Ryan is the best young QB in the NFL.