Carolina OL Geoff Hangartner signs with the Bills

kdipirro

No, I don't think he's a great player. You seem to be knocking the guy as if he's a career backup and will never be anything else. The fact is that last year, his 4th season in the league, he started half of the games for a 12-4 team. We need to at least replace Dockery and this move accomplishes that. Why do you seem to have such a problem with it?

How about you read my posts. They will answer all of your questions.

Why do I have a problem with it? I said I loved the signing.

I seem to be knocking the guy? I said he's a good player.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Bills press release he's 6'2" 225lbs. According to nfl.com, 6'5" 301lbs. Let's go with that and give a big thumbs up to the proof readers at OBD. Here's a link to his players page.

http://www.nfl.com/players/geoffhangartner...le?id=HAN148149

They've edited/updated that story:

According to Hangartner (6’5” 315), the Bills like him best in the pivot.

Guys from Carolina, honest question. If he was so great, then why not a starter. If the guy could play all of the positions, logic would dictate that he is only the 6th best player on your line. The Bills are signing him to be a starter. Does that not kind of indicate the lack of overall enthusiasm here.

I'm really not being sarcastic or mean with this, I've never seen him play. I'm asking.

Guys from Carolina, honest question. If he was so great, then why not a starter. If the guy could play all of the positions, logic would dictate that he is only the 6th best player on your line. The Bills are signing him to be a starter. Does that not kind of indicate the lack of overall enthusiasm here.

I'm really not being sarcastic or mean with this, I've never seen him play. I'm asking.

I think its a good question. Is he going to be a starter or do the Bills intend to use him as a quality backup for the three interior OL spots? Either way, he would help this team. I guess we'll find out if they hold a press conference.

How about you read my posts. They will answer all of your questions.

Why do I have a problem with it? I said I loved the signing.

I seem to be knocking the guy? I said he's a good player.

I don't think he was their starter.
That's what I thought. He wasn't good enough to be their starter.
And then they drafted Khalil to upgrade him the very next year because he did such a great job.
No, the point was they never felt he was starting material. They gave him a shot, and then they took him out and drafted someone else the following year. He only started there aftwerwards because of injuries.
He is what he is. A solid backup who is an average starter. That's not being harsh if that's what he is.

Maybe YOU should read your posts. these are just a few. I could have posted twice as many of you rambling on that this guy is a career backup and nothing else. The guy has been in the league for 4 years and played in 54 games. Maybe I'm taking you wrong, but it seems to me like you are trashing the guy by saying that he belongs on the bench. I think he's an improvement over what we have, this was a signing that we desperately needed, and the guy has the potential to get better as a starter entering his fifth season. This is good news.

Maybe YOU should read your posts. these are just a few. I could have posted twice as many of you rambling on that this guy is a career backup and nothing else. The guy has been in the league for 4 years and played in 54 games. Maybe I'm taking you wrong, but it seems to me like you are trashing the guy by saying that he belongs on the bench. I think he's an improvement over what we have, this was a signing that we desperately needed, and the guy has the potential to get better as a starter entering his fifth season. This is good news.

Oh, I like how you conveniently left out these from "my posts."

Do I like the signing if we get him? Of course. We need quality depth guys like him on the interior of the line. But if we still don't draft a center or get more quality bodies there and expect Hangartner to be our next great for 10 years then I'd be extremely worried.

I guess I need to see what else the Bills are going to do to the interior of the line before I establish how I feel. I like Hangartner, but it depends how the Bills are going to use him. If he's not a piece of a bigger puzzle in there, then I'd be worried.

If we go into the season with a good LG, Hangartner, and a young draft pick at Center backing up then I think that's a great situation. But if Hangartner is our starting center, with some schmuck at LG, and no young prospect, I'm not going to like it.

I like the guy, I love the signing. But he's not great, and that's the truth. He's an upgrade, and seems like a quality person. He's not outstanding, and probably not better than decent/good.

name='ans4e64' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:10 PM' post='1332163']

O.K., from those posts...

We need quality depth guys like him on the interior of the line.
He's not outstanding, and probably not better than decent/good.

The fact is that he is coming here to start and I would say that he's better than decent/good. Definitely not outstanding at this point.

This FA period began with subtraction (Losman, Royal, and Doc). Therefore we needed to replace those three players just to be even. With Fitzpatrick being the only signee up until now, I'm just encouraged to see "Dockery's replacement" brought in. It's a step in the right direction and it seemed like you were being a wet blanket.

name='ans4e64' date='Feb 28 2009, 05:10 PM' post='1332163']

O.K., from those posts...

The fact is that he is coming here to start and I would say that he's better than decent/good. Definitely not outstanding at this point.

This FA period began with subtraction (Losman, Royal, and Doc). Therefore we needed to replace those three players just to be even. With Fitzpatrick being the only signee up until now, I'm just encouraged to see "Dockery's replacement" brought in. It's a step in the right direction and it seemed like you were being a wet blanket.

Of course it is a step in the right direction, I'm just worried the Bills will but a Joe Blow in at LG, and we'll once again have no prospects or anyone worth a damn sitting behind those players.

Like I said, if we get a good LG in here, with Geoff at center, along with drafting his future replacement, I think that'd be great. But anything less is an extreme disappointment.

New Bills center aware of AFC East nose tackles

February 28, 2009 4:52 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

New Buffalo Bills center Geoff Hangartner declared himself ready for the challenge of facing the AFC East's formidable nose tackles.

All three of the Bills' divisional opponents run a 3-4 defensive scheme and place a hulking lineman right over the center.

The New England Patriots have Vince Wilfork. The New York Jets have Kris Jenkins. The Miami Dolphins have Jason Ferguson.

That's heavy duty.

"Playing in the division is going to be a challenge every week because there are some great nose guards," Hangartner told Buffalo reporters Saturday. He said he was 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds. "But I really like the challenge of playing against guys that are Pro Bowlers.

"And I know Kris really well from our three years in Carolina together. He's a heck of a player and I know the other guys are, too. But it's just something I'm looking forward to, the challenge. It'll be fun."

More at the link ...

Of course it is a step in the right direction, I'm just worried the Bills will but a Joe Blow in at LG, and we'll once again have no prospects or anyone worth a damn sitting behind those players.

Like I said, if we get a good LG in here, with Geoff at center, along with drafting his future replacement, I think that'd be great. But anything less is an extreme disappointment.

I hear ya. Obviously, the more holes we fill before the draft, the better. I'll take a guy at this level and hope for more good signings to come.

Jeez you guys! Yes, he IS a career back up, but he is replacing 2 very weak links (Fowler/Preston). It's a good, not great, signing IMO. Now we need, for sure, as starters: LG, LDE, and LOLB. I could live w/ Steve J as our #2 WR, and even w/ Fine as our TE. If we could get a FRIGGIN' PASS RUSH, everything w/b better. I think we'll get the LG in FA for sure, and maybe the OLB too. That leaves LDE as the #1 draft pick. Any draftee after the first round will not be expected to contribute anyway, but we need a pass rush from pick #11. Git 'er done, Russ!

we really need at least a #2 wr or pass catching TE. We can't go in there with just Fine. if he gets injured, we will be worse than last year.

And it has looked like for a long time that we are using our # pick for a DE. and that is probably how it is going to go. and our next pick will be a TE. those are two positions we need and they were both limited in FA. if we sign anyone else, it is probably going to be a LB