Carolina OL Geoff Hangartner signs with the Bills

kdipirro

What FA left would you prefer? Birk? 33 years old, he might have two years left.

Meester? He's constantly on the injury report.

Jake Grove? Lost his starting spot on OAKLAND'S O-Line to a 10-year backup.

Who says I prefer a FA that's left?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the point was that you were wrong.

No, the point was they never felt he was starting material. They gave him a shot, and then they took him out and drafted someone else the following year. He only started there aftwerwards because of injuries.

Not sure if any UFA is paid beneath their value. His versatility is a plus, but I'd rather have a guy with one position that he plays well than 2-3 which are OK. Can't comment on the contract because it may not even be signed yet.

I do know the Panthers are drafted Ryan Kalil in the second a few years back. He is now the starting center there.

I'd like to say I trust the Bills and their personnel people, but they need to hit on some players first. The margin of error is zero in my book.

That said, I think going after Alex Mack would still be a good move if they could move down on draft day.

dude, a single position interior lineman is a big liability if people go down. most teams have 7 linemen for the o all season, and at least one back up has to be a tackle, which means you want AT LEAST 2 guys who can play 3+ positions each.

Jim Leonhard says hi.

I never liked leonhard as a player. He always looked to small and too slow. There is no doubt in my mind that the players and system that he was in made him look a lot better than what he really was.

I hope that the Jets get him. He'll look small and slow again

I never liked leonhard as a player. He always looked to small and too slow. There is no doubt in my mind that the players and system that he was in made him look a lot better than what he really was.

I hope that the Jets get him. He'll look small and slow again

He's also one of those guys who gets dragged 3-5 yards every time they make a tackle.

I sort of agree with you.......

But their thinking should have started after we lost to New England! Sorry.....

They should have had a plan in place well before free agency began, you know like most other NFL teams in the league.

How do you know they didn't?

He was on the team before Khalil got there, yet he never started.

you were wrong when you said he never started . Then when you found out that was wrong then you changed it and said he never started before Khalil. So you keep changing it. That's what Sage was sayin. Now thats what I'm sayin

And then they drafted Khalil to upgrade him the very next year because he did such a great job.

They drafted Khali because they lost half of their starting o-line in the season opener in 2006 and were playing guys off the street because of injuries by the time the season ended. Keep pretending like you know what your talking about...

Fair enough, just seemed like you were being a little harsh on him.

LOL how was I being harsh on him? I said he's a serviceable player and solid but I don't like when people get carried away about his abilities.

He is what he is. A solid backup who is an average starter. That's not being harsh if that's what he is.

No, the point was they never felt he was starting material. They gave him a shot, and then they took him out and drafted someone else the following year. He only started there aftwerwards because of injuries.

Dude, seriously, you have ZERO idea what you are talking about.

Dude, seriously, you have ZERO idea what you are talking about.

Ok, so he must have started every season he played then.

I'm sorry that you're in denial that the Bills want to pin their interior line help on a career backup, and you can't deny that's what he's been.

Do I like the signing if we get him? Of course. We need quality depth guys like him on the interior of the line. But if we still don't draft a center or get more quality bodies there and expect Hangartner to be our next great for 10 years then I'd be extremely worried.

Kendall Simmons?

Yeah, he was a solid starter and 1st rd. pick. But a torn Achilles from last season?? Doesn't that take at least 2 years to get back as full flexibilty as is possible?

Huge risk. Though it could be a solid, long term solution.

definitely is a risk, no doubt about it. Luckily it's from the line position, I don't believe it is as important as a position that you have to use straight line speed or lateral explosion. I might be wrong

Carolina had a ridiculous amount of depth on the O line last year. It was a luxury talked about on the sports radio station down here often last season. Hangartner will be an upgrade over what we had last year.

The Bills are not a center away from the Super Bowl. Paying Brown or Birk top dollar would be stupid. There are so many holes on this team that they can't afford that kind of luxury. Take a look at the best rushing teams in the league. You probably couldn't name more than two of the O linemen on each team.

I guess I need to see what else the Bills are going to do to the interior of the line before I establish how I feel. I like Hangartner, but it depends how the Bills are going to use him. If he's not a piece of a bigger puzzle in there, then I'd be worried.

If we go into the season with a good LG, Hangartner, and a young draft pick at Center backing up then I think that's a great situation. But if Hangartner is our starting center, with some schmuck at LG, and no young prospect, I'm not going to like it.