Bills cut Dockery

TimGraham

The release of DD is quite simple. The Bills have to spend a certain amount of money against the cap in order to get their share in the CBA. Dead money counts as money spent, even though RW won't really be spending a single penny on DD's contract this season. The cap hit should be about 4 or 5 million dollars. That's 4 or $5 million less that RW will have to actually spend. More cuts will come.

OMG you are hilarious. If there's a bigger miserable f*ck on the board, I'm not aware of it. Keep em coming! :thumbsup:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the minority here, I know, but I want Peters signed long-term. Badly. I know he's not exactly popular and he went about it the wrong way, but he's young and talented and will be even better with a contract extension in hand. He plays the second most important position in football. We have a young QB. Pay the man.

I dunno dude, why cut a guy you invested so much in if you're going to do nothing significant to replace that person? Then again we didn't save a lot of cap room by cutting him, so it's not like we have an extra $5 million to throw around this year. I just think they must be bringing in a name on the line if they are throwing away their investment.

The Bills don't operate on cap savings. They operate on actual dollars paid. They don't care if they take a cap hit of 5 mil because it does not cost them any real dollars. They save having to pay his 5+ mil salary. They will replace him with a guy making 1 mil.

I'm in the minority here, I know, but I want Peters signed long-term. Badly. I know he's not exactly popular and he went about it the wrong way, but he's young and talented and will be even better with a contract extension in hand. He plays the second most important position in football. We have a young QB. Pay the man.

You're right. We were all pissed at him but he needs to be here.

There are a few versatile guys from the Panthers O line that will be available. Geoff Hangartner at center. He is solid and won't cost a fortune like Brown from Baltimore. The other is Jeremy Bridges He can play both guard and tackle. He may not be starting material but is a very good backup.

Let's take a deep breath, and look at the actual impact of this:

1) Salary Cap: Minimal savings, but we really don't care that much because we are not going to hit the cap.

2) Dollars in budget/ralph's wallet: We save a bunch of real dollars this year, and in the next couple years, which allow us increased flexibility or Ralph to leave more in his will.

3) Roster Talent: We are obviously worse off right now, because he was 1st on our depth chart, and was not terrible. But there is a TON of time to improve this.

The hope is that the dollars saved in #2 can lead to other combined moves in #3 that make us a better football team. Potentially better at LG specifically, but if we are a little worse at LG and better at other positions to compensate that is fine too.

Dockery was an okay player paid like a great one. Riding out his entire contract would have made that mis-evaluation more hurtful to the Bills.

The Bills have a plan to make Peters the highest paid member of the OL. But instead of paying him, they are going to cut everyone who makes more than him.

No, he'll get his raise; but the contract stipulation will be that he has to cover both the left tackle and left guard positions at the same time.

For the record, I'd like to know how many other teams have cut a player after 2 seasons with a contract that large?

Buffalo obviously isn't paying the entire 49M, but IIRC, Dockery got 18.5M guaranteed in the deal.

Well, it's not great comparing ourselves to the Raiders, but they released both DeAngelo Hall and Gibril Wilson one year into their big contracts. So I guess this is not unheard of.

Well, our ex-O-Line coach Jim McNally was supposed to be a genius in turning out talent like he did for the Giants. The secret seems to be practice, practice, practice, IN PADS! The Giants lock horns and run the ball all training camp. That's why they get it done and the Bills suck at running the football.

YOU SAID A MOUTHFUL

ALL LINEMAN SHOULD PRACTICE IN PADS

It would bring the mean streak out of them if they have any pride for blocking for guys like Beast/blunt mode, Freddie and maybe even Fred Taylor

OMG you are hilarious. If there's a bigger miserable f*ck on the board, I'm not aware of it. Keep em coming! :thumbsup:

Dude, this isn't a popularity contest. I don't say things on this board just to be liked. I can care less what you think about me. The fact of the matter is, the product on the field does all the talking for me.

It's been 9 years since our last playoff appearance and what 13 or 14 years since our last playoff win? Everything is great. I don't know what I'm talking about. What was I thinking? [HEAVY SARCASM]

What I said was not meant to be miserable. I never said the Bills won't replace DD with a high priced free agent. If they spend $8 million a year on a new guard, that will make about $15 million in cap space devoted to the guard position that DD vacated. Only $8 million of that will be actual dollars spent. That also pushes us closer to the minimum amount needed to reach the CBA criteria. True or false?

Dude, this isn't a popularity contest. I don't say things on this board just to be liked. I can care less what you think about me. The fact of the matter is, the product on the field does all the talking for me.

It's been 9 years since our last playoff appearance and what 13 or 14 years since our last playoff win? Everything is great. I don't know what I'm talking about. What was I thinking? [HEAVY SARCASM]

What I said was not meant to be miserable. I never said the Bills won't replace DD with a high priced free agent. If they spend $8 million a year on a new guard, that will make about $15 million in cap space devoted to the guard position that DD vacated. Only $8 million of that will be actual dollars spent. That also pushes us closer to the minimum amount needed to reach the CBA criteria. True or false?

I stand by my comment. You are miserable.

Also, you are incorrect. The Bills have never operated in a mode of spending the minimum required. Never. So you are a miserable f*ck and also incorrect ... but entertaining and fun to laugh at.

Your not in the minority. Trust me. Just that the one's that are bitter are the one's voicing themselves more aloud.

Having said that, I'm thinking we are gonna lock Peters up long term. Hopefully.

In regards to Dockery, It surprised me, but hey

at least it's one less guy to complain about.

I stand by my comment. You are miserable.

Also, you are incorrect. The Bills have never operated in a mode of spending the minimum required. Never. So you are a miserable f*ck and also incorrect ... but entertaining and fun to laugh at.

We did leave about $20 million in cap space last year, didn't we?