With apologies to Lori

Actually, Co-ROY along with the 'Halloween Treat'!

A feared hitter, he's mostly beloved due to his Buff-area roots and a classic PSU MLB. The second big casualty of the Bills to the new FA in the NFL to Wolfork's nasty -Polian driven- Indy travesty.

Biscuit truely was a stud! IMO, if he'd stayed with Buffalo, he'd be looking at HOF probabilities right now.

I happen to think that Bennett deserves at least some HOF consideration, as is. He not only had a great career in Buffalo, but was credited for being the heart and soul of the Falcons defense a few years ago, when they made it to the Super Bowl. I think he is a very underrated, and under appreciated player. I think Bills fans were pretty rough on him at times, toward the end. They guy played hard, game in game out, and played injured very frequently. The guy just had an amazing knack for big plays, at the most opportune times... I don't think the Bills have had a guy with that knack since, except for maybe Nate Clements... as much talant as there was on those Bills defenses, IMO, they weren't coached all that well. They relied on Bennett and Odomes a little too much, to steal games. One of the reasons they don't get mentioned as one of the great defenses. In fact, the defense prior to that, in 1988 was far more disciplined, and dominant.

That slo-mo NFL films shot of he and Talley walking off the field, looking dejected as hell, in the waining moments of Super Bowl 28 kind of epitomizes that period of Bills football for me...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost us the damned 1988 AFC Championship when he got called for a personal foul against the Bungles when the defense had otherwise stopped them on 3rd down. We could have had our first Superbowl loss 2 years early!

Wasn't that Derrick Burroughs?

I happen to think that Bennett deserves at least some HOF consideration, as is. He not only had a great career in Buffalo, but was credited for being the heart and soul of the Falcons defense a few years ago, when they made it to the Super Bowl. I think he is a very underrated, and under appreciated player. I think Bills fans were pretty rough on him at times, toward the end. They guy played hard, game in game out, and played injured very frequently. The guy just had an amazing knack for big plays, at the most opportune times... I don't think the Bills have had a guy with that knack since, except for maybe Nate Clements... as much talant as there was on those Bills defenses, IMO, they weren't coached all that well. They relied on Bennett and Odomes a little too much, to steal games. One of the reasons they don't get mentioned as one of the great defenses. In fact, the defense prior to that, in 1988 was far more disciplined, and dominant.

That slo-mo NFL films shot of he and Talley walking off the field, looking dejected as hell, in the waining moments of Super Bowl 28 kind of epitomizes that period of Bills football for me...

The fans were hard on him because he openly hated Buffalo. I recall when he went to Atlanta he made some sort of free at last crack. But he was the kind, no doubt about that that. I went to his first Bills game at Rich,and never realized a human could move that fast till then. I saw him at some store on lake ave in Blasdell and man I'm 6 ft but I felt like a runt standing next to him.

The fans were hard on him because he openly hated Buffalo. I recall when he went to Atlanta he made some sort of free at last crack. But he was the kind, no doubt about that that. I went to his first Bills game at Rich,and never realized a human could move that fast till then. I saw him at some store on lake ave in Blasdell and man I'm 6 ft but I felt like a runt standing next to him.

I don't remember that, though I don't doubt it. A lot of great athletes have left their origianl teams, late in their careers, full of acrimony. I won't, for instance, let Andre Reeds hissy fitting in his final season in Buffalo, color his whole career for me. Athletes have got to be supremely confident, when they lose that confidence (like when their team tells them they don't want them anymore) it has to be tough to not be bitter and defensive. They have to rely on their ego to get them through tough times, becuase once one of these guys loses their confidence, they likely are done.

I remember fans at Rich, mericlessly booing the guy when he was playing his ass off, barely able to lift his arms over his shoulders any more. He was the atheletic epitomy of a "warrior" IMO. I remember going to two games toward the end of the era for those golden era guys, and it seemed like the fans in Buffalo had turned Bennett into their whipping boy. I was kind of shocked. I hadn't lived in the area for a about 10 years, at the time, and figured there was something more to it. That was right before we had the internet to keep everyone informed... Bills news was tough to come by... kind of miss those days! :w00t:

I don't remember that, though I don't doubt it. A lot of great athletes have left their origianl teams, late in their careers, full of acrimony. I won't, for instance, let Andre Reeds hissy fitting in his final season in Buffalo, color his whole career for me. Athletes have got to be supremely confident, when they lose that confidence (like when their team tells them they don't want them anymore) it has to be tough to not be bitter and defensive. They have to rely on their ego to get them through tough times, becuase once one of these guys loses their confidence, they likely are done.

I remember fans at Rich, mericlessly booing the guy when he was playing his ass off, barely able to lift his arms over his shoulders any more. He was the atheletic epitomy of a "warrior" IMO. I remember going to two games toward the end of the era for those golden era guys, and it seemed like the fans in Buffalo had turned Bennett into their whipping boy. I was kind of shocked. I hadn't lived in the area for a about 10 years, at the time, and figured there was something more to it. That was right before we had the internet to keep everyone informed... Bills news was tough to come by... kind of miss those days! :w00t:

I think he didn't like the weather, or pulled the Bruce Smith Buffalo is racist thing out. But yah I miss the pre Internet days to- Mondays paper after a Bills game was a special occasion

Shane was a stud at MLB for the Bills. I love that gapped tooth he had which was a poor man's version of Jack Lambert. His rookie year in 1987 he made a huge one handed game changing pick against Dan Marino to win the game. Anyone remember that ferocious hit he laid out on Roger Vick of the Jets. He left the Bills after the 2nd or 3rd superbowl loss to sign with the Rams then basically disappeared. He was my favorite player while in Buffalo.

I remember watching a game w/ two old friends against the Jets - Conlan laid out Roger Vick - I think Joe Namath was doing color (?) can still hear him "He put a big man down there!". To this day every once in a while when we get together "The Hit On Vick" comes up :w00t:

I also vividly remember watching Penn State/Miami in the Fiesta bowl when Conlan was unbelievable - after his second interception I told my friend "That's the Bills' next first round pick!"

Actually, Co-ROY along with the 'Halloween Treat'!

A feared hitter, he's mostly beloved due to his Buff-area roots and a classic PSU MLB. The second big casualty of the Bills to the new FA in the NFL to Wolfork's nasty -Polian driven- Indy travesty.

Biscuit truely was a stud! IMO, if he'd stayed with Buffalo, he'd be looking at HOF probabilities right now.

I disagree about Biscuit. He had hall of fame talent but his level of play gradually slid as the years went by.He may have been at his peak his rookie season. I dont think he worked as hard as he could have. Very Good to Excellent career? yes.

He wasn't that great an LB by the time he left the Bills.

Shane was a stud at MLB for the Bills. I love that gapped tooth he had which was a poor man's version of Jack Lambert. His rookie year in 1987 he made a huge one handed game changing pick against Dan Marino to win the game. Anyone remember that ferocious hit he laid out on Roger Vick of the Jets. He left the Bills after the 2nd or 3rd superbowl loss to sign with the Rams then basically disappeared. He was my favorite player while in Buffalo.

I wish people would quit that "stud" label. I always picture two horses getting it on.

I keep seeing him on these lists of best all-time Bills, but I have very few memories of him dominating the way Biscuit or even Talley did. Paup and Spielman, while only here a short time, stick out more to me.

I remember him having big shoulder pads and skinny little legs.

What am I forgetting? :wallbash:

How about PENN ST. he must have been great.... when he left and went to St. Louis he kinda fell off the edge of the world but at least we got everyone's darling from PSU to replace him last year. However, Conlan IMO was far superior to the Golden Child.

Big Big Hitter.... Made some truly explosive open field hits. Other than that, made lots of tackles. More of a run stuffer but did ok covering in short areas underneath. Injured often after a few very solid seasons. Blue collar guy.. As good as Paup and Spielman were, they only visited here for a bit. Conlan was a Buffalo Bill.

that is what I recall. I remember reading some NFL player saying Conlan was the hardest hitter in the NFL

It kind of pisses me off that over the years when they (NFL talking heads and so-called experts) talk about all time great defenses, they rarely mention the Bills unit if 90-91.

Because they shouldn't, as that D was not as elite as you think. Put the Bills' 1988 D with the 1990 O, and the team is unstoppable.

Conlon was the hardest hitting Bill of that time, for sure.......Either he or Antoine are the hardest hitters I ever saw. Whenever I would see somebody get just blown up, I knew it was Conlon.

Part of it was because he played in a day when you could lead a hit with the crown of your helmet.