Give up our first for Peppers?

bananathumb

My wife is a Panthers fan so we watch them every so often. Julius Peppers is a great player with the skill and the motor. Problem is, the guy wants to get paid, and he wants to win. Both are reasons he probably doesn't come to the Bills.

Even if we trade for his rights after the Panthers negotiate a deal, the bills are going to be paying top dollar for him....which I don't see RW doing.

Maybe after seeing the all-time sack leader and greatest DE ever get enshrined he'll change his mind about paying for a top-flight DE.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Look for the Panthers to sign and trade Peppers for a first round pick this year, possibly through the franchise player tag. At least Panthers fans would have the draft to look forward to. Lets hope for a mid first rounder"

The quote is only from a Panther fan site, but if there is any truth to the prediction, would you do it?

I would, mainly because I can't see any player available at #11 who would fit our needs at DE as well as Julius Peppers. It would cost a bundle, but winning usually does. (I realize that what I just said makes it impossible, given Wilson's cheapness.)

Unlikely they would sign & trade him.......just tag him & trade his rights. If the Panthers were to sign him to anything over a one year deal they would have to eat any signing bonus he got. He would likely work out his new deal with the new team before the trade is agreed upon.

"Look for the Panthers to sign and trade Peppers for a first round pick this year, possibly through the franchise player tag. At least Panthers fans would have the draft to look forward to. Lets hope for a mid first rounder"

The quote is only from a Panther fan site, but if there is any truth to the prediction, would you do it?

I would, mainly because I can't see any player available at #11 who would fit our needs at DE as well as Julius Peppers. It would cost a bundle, but winning usually does. (I realize that what I just said makes it impossible, given Wilson's cheapness.)

Peppers would be an great player to have on any team. If this situation becomes realistic, a trade for him would be excellent.

I would love to see Peppers a Bill. I know it may sound crazy, but he is, IMO, as close to a replacement for Bruce Smith as we could hope for. I would love to get proven vet, in his prime, over a "can't miss" prospect any day. We have had enough "can't miss" guys go belly-up on us in recent years.

In the end though, I don't see it happening. More likely, I see Peppers getting traded to New England, for Matt Cassel. One franchise tag player for another.

-- compared to our sad sack group he would be a god send. The next Bruce Smith isn't coming along anytime soon. I'll settle for the guy who averages 10 sacks a season, at our position of greatest need.

Congrats! Until/unless this area gets a serious upgrade, you have christened the unit with an apt title!

Henceforth, The Sad Sack Group!

In a heartbeat. No questions asked.

To everyone whining about the contract, when you trade for a franchised player, you negotiate the new, long-term contract prior to the trade. no one trades for a tagged player and lets them play out under the franchise tender.

no way in hell. he is not worth the money he will get and he is not the palyer he once was.

Even if we trade for his rights after the Panthers negotiate a deal, the bills are going to be paying top dollar for him....which I don't see RW doing.

Please explain your rationale here? Ralph paid top dollar for Dockery, Walker, Evans, and Schobel...

Cracks me up how everyone says Ralph doesnt pay...Ralph has paid out big contracts but the fans choose to over look that so they can point the finger at Ralph. If you want to complain about what players he paid, then fine, but enough with the non sense about Ralph not paying top dollar.

I seriously challenge anyone on this board to name a single Free Agent that WANTED to come to Buffalo that Ralph said no to over money? Name one...and dont say Bryant Johnson...no one in their right mind would give him what he was asking for which is why he didnt get it and got stuck with a one year deal in SF where he did squat.

I mean seriously...I have asked this before and no one could name one...why is that, because there is no FA that WANTED to come to Buffalo that Ralph turned down because he was cheap. In fact, we have made runs at other key FA's offering similar contracts and they chose to go to other warmer and bigger market teams...no big surprise there...but its not money related.

Our biggest foe in Free Agency is NOT Ralph, its the cold as hell, snowing, windy winters and the small azz market. It is further hindered that we have not been very relevant in a long time.

You want to know who is cheap? The owner of the Steelers and Patriots...guess what, they have 5 SB titles in 7 years between them...they actually say no to players and the contracts they want...However, because they have been winning, other players still want to play for them. No one goes to NE to try and get a big contract...they go because they have a mini dynasty going on...same with Pitt...

If Peppers is open to coming here, I assure you Buffalo will pursue him...if he is not, I am sure you will blame Ralph for not wanting to pay him when it would have ZERO to do with it...

Wouldn't do it for the guy if it's a one year franchise tender. He could walk after next season and that would be like we threw away our 1st rounder. I'd do it if he singed a long term contract with the Bills, but I don't see him really wanting to do that. Money talks though, so anything is possible.

I would agree .. overall though I think this scenario is very unlikely to happen. Scheme not right for Peppers.

Please explain your rationale here? Ralph paid top dollar for Dockery, Walker, Evans, and Schobel...

Cracks me up how everyone says Ralph doesnt pay...Ralph has paid out big contracts but the fans choose to over look that so they can point the finger at Ralph. If you want to complain about what players he paid, then fine, but enough with the non sense about Ralph not paying top dollar.

I seriously challenge anyone on this board to name a single Free Agent that WANTED to come to Buffalo that Ralph said no to over money? Name one...and dont say Bryant Johnson...no one in their right mind would give him what he was asking for which is why he didnt get it and got stuck with a one year deal in SF where he did squat.

I mean seriously...I have asked this before and no one could name one...why is that, because there is no FA that WANTED to come to Buffalo that Ralph turned down because he was cheap. In fact, we have made runs at other key FA's offering similar contracts and they chose to go to other warmer and bigger market teams...no big surprise there...but its not money related.

Our biggest foe in Free Agency is NOT Ralph, its the cold as hell, snowing, windy winters and the small azz market. It is further hindered that we have not been very relevant in a long time.

You want to know who is cheap? The owner of the Steelers and Patriots...guess what, they have 5 SB titles in 7 years between them...they actually say no to players and the contracts they want...However, because they have been winning, other players still want to play for them. No one goes to NE to try and get a big contract...they go because they have a mini dynasty going on...same with Pitt...

If Peppers is open to coming here, I assure you Buffalo will pursue him...if he is not, I am sure you will blame Ralph for not wanting to pay him when it would have ZERO to do with it...

I agree with you, but you forgot to name probably the biggest obstacle the Bills face in luring free agents, & that is NY State TAXES. NOBODY making $$$$$$$ would choose NY & their taxes over Florida.