McNabb, Eagles could be headed for a 'showdown'

Josh, Wellington FL

will mcnabb be back in philly for years to come?

Adam Schefter, NFL Network

That's the question of the off-season, Josh. This has the makings of a Brett Favre drama written on it. McNabb will want long-term security, the Eagles will balk at giving him too much of it, and it sets up a potential showdown. Now I remember two years ago, an NFC team called the Eagles and asked what it would take to get McNabb. It was told three first-round picks. Don't think the price would be that high now, but if Philadelphia ever decided it would be willing to entertain trade offers, the Eagles start by asking for at least two first-round picks.

Linkerooney

If he does wind up on the trading block and they do find a team thats willing to give him the money he wants, I doubt anybody will hand over 2 first rounders for him at this point in his career, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them get a single first rounder. For better or for worse I don't know, but this might be something a guy like Russ Brandon would look into with the need to sell to the public the 2009 Buffalo Bills.

I can still recall how excited I was when we got Bledsoe. And I can still recall how that ultimately worked out. :thumbsup:

Something to keep an eye on.

Here's what happens:

We trade for McNabb. That means Edwards gets benched. Meanwhile McNabb is terrible because the Bills don't have the supporting cast he had in Philly. After 6 games McNabb gets benched, Edwards goes back in. Draft picks wasted in trade. Season wasted on McNabb experiment. 7-9 again.

PTR

I would be THRILLED to trade #11 for McNabb. McNabb >>>>> Bledsoe, particularly at the respective points in their careers.

And as for the supporting cast, wha? How is a gimpy Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter, DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, and Hank Baskett any better than Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Reed, and the Hardy/Parrish/Johnson pu pu platter? And if you want to get into tight ends (pardon me!), LJ Smith is Robert Royal minus the blocking, and Celek is probably better than either of our backups, but it's not exactly a blowout.

Now, if you want to argue that McNabb would fail here because our joke of a coaching staff would put him in a joke of an offense... you might be right.

Linkerooney

If he does wind up on the trading block and they do find a team thats willing to give him the money he wants, I doubt anybody will hand over 2 first rounders for him at this point in his career, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them get a single first rounder. For better or for worse I don't know, but this might be something a guy like Russ Brandon would look into with the need to sell to the public the 2009 Buffalo Bills.

I can still recall how excited I was when we got Bledsoe. And I can still recall how that ultimately worked out. :thumbsup:

What is it with you people. Hes a QB and one of the elite the prime age for a qb is 30 break down for the qb is genrally 35-38. Now how old is one of the superbowl qbs lets see 37 and in the superbowl man thats old hes washed up?

Man how many times have you guys stated you would want brady hes 31 and mcnabb is 32 please. we could get 4 years out of him and really groom his replacement.

I would be THRILLED to trade #11 for McNabb. McNabb >>>>> Bledsoe, particularly at the respective points in their careers.

And as for the supporting cast, wha? How is a gimpy Brian Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter, DeSean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, and Hank Baskett any better than Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Reed, and the Hardy/Parrish/Johnson pu pu platter? And if you want to get into tight ends (pardon me!), LJ Smith is Robert Royal minus the blocking, and Celek is probably better than either of our backups, but it's not exactly a blowout.

Now, if you want to argue that McNabb would fail here because our joke of a coaching staff would put him in a joke of an offense... you might be right.

Well, that same supporting cast won 4 out of their last 5 to get in the playoffs (albeit with some help) and then took them to within 7 minutes of the Super Bowl.

I love McNabb and I've always been a fan of him, but there's no sense in trading for him right now. He won't be the veteran backup to help Edwards and because he's in his early-mid 30s, I'd fear it would be another Bledsoe situation all over again. Perhaps McNabb would work out better for a little bit longer because he has some mobility, but eventually, his physical skills will decline.

Edwards is the man. Someday, we're all going to have to realize that.

Linkerooney

McNabb wants out.

I think the Eagles are just posturing to make themselves look good and they are negotiating for his release or trade by saying they want him back.

I don't think the relationship between QB and coach can be repaired.

Here's what happens:

We trade for McNabb. That means Edwards gets benched. Meanwhile McNabb is terrible because the Bills don't have the supporting cast he had in Philly. After 6 games McNabb gets benched, Edwards goes back in. Draft picks wasted in trade. Season wasted on McNabb experiment. 7-9 again.

PTR

Come on...supporting cast? Are you kidding? It is WIDELY known that he has had just the OPPOSITE! He has NEVER had any true #1 WR's with the exception of a year and a half with TO. Westbrook only emerged as an Elite player 3 years ago, and that was his best WR, a freaking RB.

This guy has been a top QB in this league with LITTLE offensive weapons MOST of his career. He has been a class act on and off the field, a warrior out there in games, even playing a game on a broken ankle. You wouldn't go to your desk job at work if you had a broken ankle let alone run around a football field with 300 lb men trying to break the other one.

There is NO WAY he gets traded for anything less than a package of picks that contains a min of 1 high first round pick, and more likely 2 first round picks or a first and a second.

This guy is the most underappeciated player in football. Funny, if you talk to Philly fans or go to Philly, they love this guy and know without them they are a 4 win team...because of that, I find it hard to believe they move him after he rallied them to the NFC championship and almost pulled it off. They are a SB conteder with him next year, and a team that will draft in the top 10 of the draft without him...

Here's what happens:

PTR

Name one WIDE reciever he has in Philly... NONE, NOW name one WIDE reciever he would have in Buff-LEE EVANS.

He will still have two quality RBS in Lynch and Jackson as he does with Westroolk and buckholter(sp) . The only thing he had there he doesnt have here (yet) is LJ smith hs third favorite target at TE. Other than that our offense would be an upgrade to what he had.

To think he would get bench is a brainless conclusion. He has been to the playoffs every year he has started 10 or more games in a season with a team the has had minimal talen at best. DONVAN would be the upgrade this team needs to make the playoffs this year alone!!!

Name one WIDE reciever he has in Philly... NONE, NOW name one WIDE reciever he would have in Buff-LEE EVANS.

He will still have two quality RBS in Lynch and Jackson as he does with Westroolk and buckholter(sp) . The only thing he had there he doesnt have here (yet) is LJ smith hs third favorite target at TE. Other than that our offense would be an upgrade to what he had.

To think he would get bench is a brainless conclusion. He has been to the playoffs every year he has started 10 or more games in a season with a team the has had minimal talen at best. DONVAN would be the upgrade this team needs to make the playoffs this year alone!!!

It ain't happenin

That's the argument

McNabb would be an interesting prospect. He already has shown the ability to play in adverse weather conditions. He's carried teams when he's had to as well. He's also had a knock on him of being soft at times, injury prone, and a whiner. I think that he'd have an upgrade in personel here in Buffalo to a certain extent, but our OL is not as good as Philly's overall. McNabb can do one thing that TrINT hasn't yet shown the ability to do and that's throw the deep ball. I think it would be an awesome move for the organization to make. We would finally have our 1st QB worth talking about in Buffalo since Kelly. I wouldn't want to give up our 1st for the guy, but maybe our 2nd and 3rd round picks. I can't see anyone really giving up their 1st round choices for a 32 year old QB. It isn't worth it unless he's the missing link to your Super Bowl run. McNabb is not that to our franchise, we need more than just him.

Well, that same supporting cast won 4 out of their last 5 to get in the playoffs (albeit with some help) and then took them to within 7 minutes of the Super Bowl.

I love McNabb and I've always been a fan of him, but there's no sense in trading for him right now. He won't be the veteran backup to help Edwards and because he's in his early-mid 30s, I'd fear it would be another Bledsoe situation all over again. Perhaps McNabb would work out better for a little bit longer because he has some mobility, but eventually, his physical skills will decline.

Edwards is the man. Someday, we're all going to have to realize that.

Edwards is INJURED every year, & you're talking about McNabb breaking down? Someday better be in 09. Trent will be a THIRD YEAR Vet with plenty of starting experience, 09 is the time Trent makes us realize he's the MAN or he is FINISHED as a starter.

If we got McNabb, this team immediately improves drastically. I'm not sure how anybody could dispute that. You are replacing a below average QB with a HOF QB. Trent might be above average someday but he's not going to ever sniff the HOF. McNabb most likely has 4-6 good years left and for once we could have stability at the position. He has very little in common with Bledsoe. Drew was on the brink of a meltdown in NE when he got hurt, and Donovan just led his team to a NFC championship game. I'd it for one first rounder in a heartbeat, but no more than one. We would have the best QB situation in the AFC East going into next year. How long has it been since that happened? As far as the coaching goes, why try next year right? We could start cutting players because the coaching sucks I guess.

These things tend to be smoke screens and mirrors but Lurie went on record and publicly stated that McNabb would be back next year as the team's starting QB. It's hard not to believe the owner on this.

Besides, the Eagles just came from the NFC Championship game, do they really think they'd be better off without McNabb? Especially with the unproven and untested Kolb behind him.

Here's what happens:

PTR

We could trade our #1 for McNabb or we could throw in Edwards and additional 4th to Philly for taking him. We can get a backup in FA or late in the draft and that would leave us with our 2nd and 3rd round picks for a center and a TE.

This means we'd have to sign an OLB and a DE in free agency. It makes things tough with two fewer draft picks but if we could GET McNabb and DISPENSE of Trent all in one move it would be a real coo.

I think that in the long run Philly will keep McNabb. We'll be back to our original plan of Sanchez in the 1st.

These things tend to be smoke screens and mirrors but Lurie went on record and publicly stated that McNabb would be back next year as the team's starting QB. It's hard not to believe the owner on this.

Besides, the Eagles jut came from the NFC Championship game, do they really think they'd be better off without McNabb? Especially with the unproven and untested Kolb behind him.

You are most likely correct on this. The eagles aren't going to let him walk, after his performance at the end of the year. Kolb has looked terrible besides.

You are most likely correct on this. The eagles aren't going to let him walk, after his performance at the end of the year. Kolb has looked terrible besides.

If McNabb wants out, he'll get out. I think he's tired of the criticism. Too much of it was put on that overtime comment he made. People forget real quickly he's still an outstanding quarterback. And besides DeSean Jackson, Philly doesn't have much at receivers. Curtis has been fading out long before he got to Philly. Westbrook is injured all the time. McNabb is a good quarterback. And he almost beat the Cardinals himself.

If McNabb wants out, he'll get out. I think he's tired of the criticism. Too much of it was put on that overtime comment he made. People forget real quickly he's still an outstanding quarterback. And besides DeSean Jackson, Philly doesn't have much at receivers. Curtis has been fading out long before he got to Philly. Westbrook is injured all the time. McNabb is a good quarterback. And he almost beat the Cardinals himself.

McNabb is a great QB. This is why I think the eagles will ultimately do everything in their power to keep him.