Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, wasn't Ben's mother supposed to die during child birth? With Juliet there, it changed things. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't remember...

That baby wasn't Ben. Ben is way too old to be born in the 70's.

Could someone refresh my feeble memory...who did Horace come to as a dead person...was it John and in what context did he do this? Thanks!

Yes, it was Locke. Locke had a dream where Horace was chopping down a tree, but the dream was in a loop, so once the tree was down it would immediately be back up again and Horace would continue chopping it. Horace told Locke he was dead and that Locke had to find him (Horace) if he wanted to find out what happened to the DI. Locke then discovered the mass grave of the DI.

I thought from the back that it looked like Anubis the Egyptian deity that protects the dead on their journey to the afterlife.

Hurley was also doing an Egyptian-themed watercolor painting (the Sphinx) at the mental hospital as Locke wheeled up to him in the repeat.

Yes, it was Locke. Locke had a dream where Horace was chopping down a tree, but the dream was in a loop, so once the tree was down it would immediately be back up again and Horace would continue chopping it. Horace told Locke he was dead and that Locke had to find him (Horace) if he wanted to find out what happened to the DI. Locke then discovered the mass grave of the DI.

Locke 'discovered' the mass grave prior to that. Ben showed it to him, then shot him. The above dream sequence came when Locke was trying to figure out what to do next / how to find Jacob's cabin. Locke went back to the pit and got a map and/or blueprints from Horace's pocket.

For all his hippie-hug-a-tree appearance, Horace really seems to not like our xylem and phloem friends! Chopping them down, exploding them with dynamite... the monster seems to share this arbor-hate.

pulled from my favorite LOST discussion website:

Last night on Lost the giant four-toed statue from the end of Season 2 resurfaced. Is it Horus, an Egyptian God of power? We do have a character named Horace and he even has long hair like the statue. The necklace taken from Paul’s body is an ankh, which happens to be the same symbols statues of Horus hold. Ankhs, for those who don’t know, were the Egyptian symbol for eternal life, like the figure eight symbol of infinity. Is Miles the descendent of Horace’s enemy? In Egyptian mythology Horus’ main rival was a God named Seth. In the Bible, Seth has a son named Enos. Miles went by the name Enos.

Hurley was also doing an Egyptian-themed watercolor painting (the Sphinx) at the mental hospital as Locke wheeled up to him in the repeat.

Locke 'discovered' the mass grave prior to that. Ben showed it to him, then shot him. The above dream sequence came when Locke was trying to figure out what to do next / how to find Jacob's cabin. Locke went back to the pit and got a map and/or blueprints from Horace's pocket.

That's it...thanks!

Some pretty good links... (esp. the first two)

'Lost' Aftergasm: The Many Faces of James Ford

'Lost': Brush up on your Egyptian

Last night's 'Lost': Dharmistice

From the first link, something that's tossed in at the end as an afterthought...

the duality of the the Goodspeed/Sawyer waking up on the couch scenes

For both of them, waking up on the couch is tantamount to coming to their senses after a spell of dumb behavior. For Sawyer, it's as Miles said, running b/w the Orchid, the beach camp, etc and waiting for something to happen was their only 'plan.' When Sawyer wakes up on the couch (and I was saying to myself, "Hey! My parents had curtains in the basement windows with almost that same corduroy-ish pattern!) he has a plan... unfortunately, the plan is to wait rather than run. Conduct searches for the other few remaining lostaways (e.g. Bernard & Rose --- my theory, as it's been since early on, is that they are "Adam and Eve" in the caves.... Explained that when Daniel goes into the DI construction site for the Orchid to presumably send them back to 2004, B&R get left behind either by choice or b/c they can't be found, which, also is a choice, per Bernard's promise to her not to leave.) and wait for Locke to return, if he's even going to come back.

On the other side, Horace waking to his senses on the couch is a little less loaded. He got drunk and threw around some dynamite b/c he found the Paul's ankh necklace in Amy's drawer, got jealous and fought with her. But this awakening mostly reflected on Sawyer and him coming to terms with the Kate --> Juliet romances.

Some touches in the Horace extrapolation and elsewhere.... Horace denied any knowledge of the Black Rock (connection with the dynamite?) and I'm pretty sure he was lying. We also learned that the sonar fence doesn't necessarily kill; in fact, it creates a sensation similar to the time flashes --- could it be tapped into the Orchid/donkey wheel to create a limited field of the temporal displacement (remember how Mickhal was bleeding from the nose and ears)? But we also learned from Richard that the sonar fence has no effect on the Others, and the obvious question of why not?

As one of the links suggests, the Others/Richard taking Paul's body as reparation for Sawyer and Juliet killing the two men... it dmacks of something more than Richard presenting a body to his group and saying, 'We are revenged. Truce is back on.' No, Richard's word sh/would be enough. They want Paul's body for some other reason.

For all his hippie-hug-a-tree appearance, Horace really seems to not like our xylem and phloem friends! Chopping them down, exploding them with dynamite... the monster seems to share this arbor-hate.

Ahhh, ok thanks. That was just off the top of my head.

Not my original idea, but if you use the Google "dig a hole through Earth" tool, the exact opposite side of the world from Tunisia is in the middle of the SW Pacific...

ive seen that discussed before and im sure it is no coincidence. good detail.

I thought from the back that it looked like Anubis the Egyptian deity that protects the dead on their journey to the afterlife.

Found on another board...

The statue could be Tawaret. Tawaret was a goddess who protected women during pregnancy and childbirth.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1723/tawaret.jpg

I've been thinking about it today, and the more I come to it, with the "Whatever happens happened" the more I'm thinking that Jack is Jacob. Similarity in name... the "Great man" descriptions for both of them... Christian's connection with Jacob... and the dramatic impact of the 'man of science' actually becoming the man/ghost who inspires such faith; the man who wanted to get off the island so badly, to be done with it all, being the one who lingers through death to 'save' it.

I love the Jack=Jacob theory. I mentioned it to my wife last night, and she recalled a comment by one of The Others long ago that "Jack isn't on Jacob's list". I don't recall that quote/episode/situation at all, but that comment lends credence to the theory.

Found on another board...

The statue could be Tawaret. Tawaret was a goddess who protected women during pregnancy and childbirth.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1723/tawaret.jpg

WHOA! great find!

Quick additional info from wikipedia:

"In Egyptian mythology, Taweret. Her name means (one) who is great. When paired with another deity, she became the demon-wife of Apep, the original god of evil. Since Apep was viewed as residing below the horizon, and only present at night, evil during the day then was envisaged as being a result of Taweret's maleficence...

...Early during the Old Kingdom, the Egyptians came to see female hippopotamuses as less aggressive than the males, and began to view their aggression only as one of protecting their young and being good mothers, particularly since it is the males that are territorially aggressive. Consequently, Taweret became seen, very early in Egyptian history, as a deity of protection in pregnancy and childbirth."