The Bills tried to sign Cam Wake...

Wake narrowed his choices to four teams, including the Buffalo Bills, before choosing the Dolphins.

"Buffalo really put a great package together," Sheehy said. "They did a wonderful job recruiting him."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

It's good to see the Bills haven't been dormant so far.

His size and skill set is probably better suited to a 3-4 vs Buffalo's 4-3 Tampa suck defense.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is his job to change the culture, the perception and the mind set of players they want to acquire. If that means over paying slightly for a Tony Gonzalez or a player like Wake, so be it. they created the mess and now its their job to get through it. If your happy with effort and not results, knock yourself out.

How is anything going to change if the Bills keep settling for players without any other option?

While he's at it, it is his job to change the weather climate!

:huh:

So it came down to us, Miami, Arizona, Denver, & Indy. Why isn't Polian being chastised here for being a bad GM? Could it be that the guy isn't worth what he wants? Or that Miami overpaid for him? Don't forget that they just gave an undrafted free agent, on his second chance in the NFL, $4.9MM/yr with $1MM guaranteed without ever really seeing if he can hack it in the NFL.

Call me crazy, but CFL stats mean nothing to me. I'm not saying that he won't be a good NFL player, but paying him $5MM/yr and basing that off of what he did in a totally different league is sort of foolish.

So Buffalo tried and again failed to recruit a player they wanted and you guys are happy with the effort. It is Brandon's job to convince guys like Gonzalez and Wake that they want to come here and he continues to fail. This time he fell short against a hated division rival. Nice job.

You have to understand...There is a TON of "Battered Fan Syndrome" going on around here these days...Dead Dick says "they work and Play hard" enough times that some Folks have simply become pleased with the effort on the way to another losing Season...

It's sad...But it is what it is... :pirate:

I'll have to go with Bills Vet on this one. In the NFL it's winning that counts not trying.

If you are going to overpay for a player, you have to be smart about it. Is he good enough to warrant it? Is there another player you'd rather overpay for? The offseason is still young.

I wouldnt allow the fact that Bills put in an offer to get your hopes up that they will be a player in FA. The way I read into this is that the signing of this guy may generate a little bit more intrest about the team in Canada and if he were to suceed then they could market the team better in the annual Toronto game which as we all know was a complete disaster this year. If the Canadians could have a player that made his name in the CFL and then became a solid player for the Bills they may be more inclined to actually cheer for us in Toronto instead of cheering for the away team.

:pirate:

This is a guy that I would have liked to see here. Oh well. But this goes to show me that Brandon and company are staying active. I think he has received a lot of unwarranted criticism. The Bills have been very involved with free agency and trades since he's been here. I think Brandon will be very good in his role for years to come.

talk is cheap

with basically unlimited amount of cap room, not signing the guy is another personnel failure.

being active and failing to close is just as effective as not making any offers at all - you still failed to improve your team while your division rivals continue to kick your butt

So Buffalo tried and again failed to recruit a player they wanted and you guys are happy with the effort. It is Brandon's job to convince guys like Gonzalez and Wake that they want to come here and he continues to fail. This time he fell short against a hated division rival. Nice job.

Exactly! There is no comfort in coming "close". It's Brandon's job to get guys like this signed and if he can't do it, then maybe someone else can. Results are all that matter -- this isn't horseshoes.

C'mon guys,all things being equal where would you rather play, In the nice warm weather in Fla or Buffalo?

Whom would YOU rather play for, a team that made the playoffs last year and has Parcells, or a team that went 7-9 three years in a row and has Jauron ?

Great point. I'm sure Parcells had alot to do with his decision. If the Bills would hire a respectable head coach for once they might be able to attract some decent free agents. I know Cower was too much to hope for but they might have been able to get Brian Billick. The Ravens are going to lose some players to free agency. If Billick were here we would have a good chance at landing one or two of them.

I guess after all that time in Canada, Wake couldn't stand even one more game up there.

First off, as a Canadian, let me just say "you are a d$*khead" and secondly, I don't understand all the excitement over a DE from the CFL that has never proven anything in this league! The fact is, that historically the only successful players to make the transition from the CFL to the NFL are QB's and kickers! :worthy:

If he's a rush OLB, I'm not upset we didn't get him. Jauron isn't switching to a 3-4, which is something he probably doesn't favor. That's not my issue here.

Instead, I'm choosing to look at the bigger picture. A poster made the assertion that trying is good enough, which is why the Bills are looking straight at 10 consecutive seasons without the playoffs. Philly's played in five more title games than Buffalo has appeared in the playoffs this decade.

The point is clear: Some fans are content with the current state of the team and have become comfortable with mediocrity.

If people stepped back and looked at how successful teams operate (PIT, NE, NYG, SD, BAL, et al) they'd see a trend of having a strong GM with a personnel background combined with a coach who brings a winning attitude. The Buffalo Bills have neither, and rather are counting on a marketing guy to lead them forward with a coach who is universally recognized as poor.

Trying hard is worth a lot. The more you try, the better your chances are. We don't have to get every good player. If we get just two players that are big upgrades as starters, it will be worth it. And to do that, you have to try hard every time.

A lot of people seem to think that the FO sits back and doesn't act aggressive enough. I think that they don't try enough as well. But this is some evidence that they are trying hard, and i like that. IF they are trying hard now, then the chances of them picking some one up in FA looks good. Brandon DID handle the last offseason quite well. He had a couple good pickups and he handled the peters thing with some backbone.

Though i think the bills are not the most organized team, and it seems they work out of a garage, i think russ makes a good negotiater and bussiness man. But his football knowledge and experience should probably keep him away from the draft and scouting.

Trying hard is worth a lot. The more you try, the better your chances are. We don't have to get every good player. If we get just two players that are big upgrades as starters, it will be worth it. And to do that, you have to try hard every time.

A lot of people seem to think that the FO sits back and doesn't act aggressive enough. I think that they don't try enough as well. But this is some evidence that they are trying hard, and i like that. IF they are trying hard now, then the chances of them picking some one up in FA looks good. Brandon DID handle the last offseason quite well. He had a couple good pickups and he handled the peters thing with some backbone.

Though i think the bills are not the most organized team, and it seems they work out of a garage, i think russ makes a good negotiater and bussiness man. But his football knowledge and experience should probably keep him away from the draft and scouting.

he has no experience with negotiating either. He is a marketing guy

so we have a head guy with no real business skills or football skills.

he does have a lot of experience spinning the cheapest baseball team, though

I wouldn't get all up in arms over the assumption that people are happy the Bills tried to get this CFL'er.

The guy chose Miami over us. What can you do? Break the bank over someone who was a stud on a lower level? Wake chose Miami because their defense is better suited for him among other reasons (playoff team, warm weather, money, joey porter). This guy hasn't proven a thing other than he dominates the CFL level of talent which is considerably lower than starting NFL talent.

It's really unlikely that we'll hear about the Bills pursuing many free agents because we just don't have access to that kind information with any sort of regularity. It would be pretty neat to find out who the Bills were going after.

Therein lies the problem why the Bills will remain mediocre at best. Even if we provide a better compenstaion package, players will not come here. We are irrelevant, and a running joke of a franchise, face it.

Its a win-win situation for a lot of you guys. We dont sign him, and you get to bash the front office for not signing him, not doing their job, blah, blah, blah. But, if we overpaid for him (as was suggested), they you guys get to B word that the front office sucks because they overpay for mediocre players.

And wouldn't this mean polian is an idiot, because wake didn't sign with the colts?

Its a win-win situation for a lot of you guys. We dont sign him, and you get to bash the front office for not signing him, not doing their job, blah, blah, blah. But, if we overpaid for him (as was suggested), they you guys get to B word that the front office sucks because they overpay for mediocre players.

And wouldn't this mean polian is an idiot, because wake didn't sign with the colts?

No..maybe Polian knows better and he is not worth it. My point wasn't whether I thought we should get him...I have no clue. My point was that no matter how much money we throw at someone, free agents are no longer motivated coming here after three mediocre seasons and the dismal state of affairs surrounding this franchise.

In the future, please don't tell me what I think.