Rotoworld says we will address the WR position again...

The Rotoworld blurb, for what its worth, does NOT claim to have sources saying the Bills want another reciever, they're just speculating like the rest of us. You'd think we would go after a WR with Hardy's inury, but this report is more speculation than news.

Bills WR James Hardy underwent surgery Monday to repair the ACL in his left knee.

Facing a six to nine month rehab on the heels of a disappointing rookie season, Hardy's outlook is cloudy at best. The Bills will once again have to address the wide receiver position after spending a second-round pick last year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you would like to have a 32 year old making as muchas parrish or more for the next 4 years. Sorry as good as he is we need a reciever that has room for growth not room for decline because of age. :beer:

http://www.nfl.com/players/t.j.houshmandza...le?id=HOU337963

He'll be 32 in September, yes. But the numbers he's put up do not lie. His TD's were down this year, but he had Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB for most of the season. Most of the good WR's in the NFL are producing until about 35-36 years old. Jerrry Rice, T.O., Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith, Isaac Bruce, and others fit this mold. There is no indication that Housh is on the decline. He's a precise route runner that knows how to get open and has sure hands. He catches just about EVERYTHING thrown his way, defender on his back or not. If you don't think he'd be an upgrade over anything we already have, you're not thinking soberly :D

http://www.nfl.com/players/t.j.houshmandza...le?id=HOU337963

He'll be 32 in September, yes. But the numbers he's put up do not lie. His TD's were down this year, but he had Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB for most of the season. Most of the good WR's in the NFL are producing until about 35-36 years old. Jerrry Rice, T.O., Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith, Isaac Bruce, and others fit this mold. There is no indication that Housh is on the decline. He's a precise route runner that knows how to get open and has sure hands. He catches just about EVERYTHING thrown his way, defender on his back or not. If you don't think he'd be an upgrade over anything we already have, you're not thinking soberly :beer:

But it's not just about his production or that he will be an upgrade. You have to take into account his cost, where he is production wise at this juncture of his career, our needs and who we have at that position.

I think we could use the money more wisely on more pressing needs

Josh Reed has emerged as an alright #2 option although I love him alot more in the slot. I also love Steve Johnson. But here's who I think we can make a run for...

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team

WR Justin Jenkins RFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

The Bills will work hard to resign him because he practices hard during the week and he is a good teammate. He's a really good football player :beer::D

But it's not just about his production or that he will be an upgrade. You have to take into account his cost, where he is production wise at this juncture of his career, our needs and who we have at that position.

I understand what you're getting at, but we have PLENTY of cap space to do everything that we would need to do to make this team alot better. It's not like we're counting pennies to stay under, but Ralph may be counting pennies :beer: The FO has to get out there and lure these players in, selling them on the fact that we're actually trying to win here. I say that we STILL need a productive #2 WR opposite of Evans for the next year or 2 atleast until one of the younger guys developes into that role. Steve Johnson showed us alot of promis this year, but he's not yet there. Hardy we didn't really see much from at all, but we know he's worked hard in practice atleast. Reed is an aging and better served as a slot guy. Parrish, slot guy. No real #2 WR around here yet.

Like Julius Peppers. Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. :beer:

If we're just looking for a decent vet to give Trent another option, I would take a look at Gaffney. He is a decent WR, knows how to get open and would weaken a divisional opponent. An offense that features Lynch/Jackson at RB, Evans/Gaffney/Reed/Johnson/Parrish/Hardy at WR and a big upgrade at TE with Fine as a backup would seem to have the requisite weapons to be successful.

Exactly what I'm thinking. He'd step right in and start. Gaffneys' clearly better than Reed.

I would MUCH rather sign a dynamic TE that is a serious offensive threat rather than overpay for yet another mediocre WR where you can get the same production out of Reed or Johnson. We have lacked a great TE for a decade.

It fits TE's best skill set too which is his accuracy on short and medium routes and that in turn changes how Evans is played.

Bryant Johnson anyone? He was solid this year, but didn't really have the banner year he was looking for in SF. Now that he's a free agent again, he will likely be had for the same rate he got this year. He's more of a proven, steady commodity than most on this list. Do the bills take another look at him to solidify depth? Or do you think we pissed him enough enough last offseason to spurn us?

-Nails

Josh Reed has emerged as an alright #2 option although I love him alot more in the slot. I also love Steve Johnson. But here's who I think we can make a run for...

Pos Player Name FA Status Previous Team Current Team

WR Miles Austin RFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

WR Hank Baskett RFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent

WR Shaun Bodiford RFA Green Bay Packers Free Agent

WR Antonio Bryant UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

WR Greg Camarillo RFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent

WR Drew Carter UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

WR Michael Clayton UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers Free Agent

WR Marques Colston RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent

WR Terrance Copper UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

WR Bobby Engram UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

WR Robert Ferguson UFA Minnesota Vikings Free Agent

WR Malcom Floyd RFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent

WR Jabar Gaffney UFA New England Patriots Free Agent

WR Rod Gardner UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Dante' Hall UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent

WR Devery Henderson UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent

WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent = I WISH

WR Sam Hurd RFA Dallas Cowboys Free Agent

WR Darrell Jackson UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent

WR Justin Jenkins RFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

WR Michael Jenkins Re-signed Atlanta Falcons Atlanta Falcons

WR Bryant Johnson UFA San Francisco 49ers Free Agent

WR Brandon Jones UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

WR Brandon Lloyd UFA Chicago Bears Free Agent

WR Dane Looker UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent

WR Justin McCareins UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

WR Shaun McDonald UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent

WR Johnnie Morant UFA Oakland Raiders Free Agent

WR Ben Obomanu RFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

WR Terrell Owens Re-signed Dallas Cowboys Dallas Cowboys

WR Roscoe Parrish UFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent

WR Maurice Price RFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Koren Robinson UFA Seattle Seahawks Free Agent

WR Dominique Thompson UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent

WR Amani Toomer UFA New York Giants Free Agent

WR Jeff Webb RFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent

WR Demetrius Williams RFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent

WR Mike Williams UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent

WR Reggie Williams UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent

WR Cedrick Wilson UFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent

WR Wallace Wright RFA New York Jets Free Agent

Other than TJ - I don't really see a good option. Any ideas?

The best of the bunch talent wise is Bryant. The question is, do you want to deal with his personality? I'd think about taking the risk -- he's a heckuva talent.

Clayton showed flashes of being a good WR a couple of years ago, but has since not really produced. We could take a shot on him if he would sign relatively cheap, but I sure would like to have T.J. in a Bills uni :beer:

Didn't we all say the same thing about Bryant Johnson last off season ?

The Bills are in a strange place at WR, because they're fine in terms of depth and lacking only at the top. Reed-Parrish-Johnson are great options at 3-4-5, and any one who came in would distinctly have to be an upgrade at the #2 spot, and the guys out there seem mostly to be #3 roleplayer types. TJ Houshmandzadeh is an obvious exception, if he'd come to town, but otherwise, I dunno.