For All Who Wanted Devin Thomas With Our 1st

H2o

DEVIN THOMAS IN SKINS’ DOGHOUSE?

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 10, 2009, 7:50 a.m.

It’s safe to say that Washington Redskins wide receiver Devin Thomas didn’t have a banner rookie season, on or off the field, according to this scathing postseason review from the Washington Post that paints a picture of the former Michigan State star as possibly destined for Bust City.

The article portrays Thomas as having a “surly” attitude and a “swagger” unjustified by his unproductive performance, going on to say that he’s more enamored of making his presence felt on the D.C. nightlife scene than in dedicating himself to realizing his potential.

Besides apparently not having his head on straight, according to Redskins beat writer Jason La Confora, Thomas failed to run precise routes, didn’t inspire confidence in general from the quarterbacks, and basically just failed completely to develop into any kind of a deep threat despite his obvious physical gifts as a swift 6-foot-2, 220-pounder.

The future outlook definitely doesn’t sound promising since Thomas has already talked about wanting to take a break from the rigors of the NFL during the offseason, a stance that the Post calls “alarming.”

Thomas played in all 16 games with only one start, catching just 15 passes for 120 yards and an 8.0 average per reception.

In contrast, fellow first-year wideout Malcolm Kelly, who has been extremely injury-prone with chronically bad knees, is described as “well-liked” and hard-working.

Link to PFT Rumormill: http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Link to article Skins overview of WR's: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...redskinsinsider

That would've been McGahee part deux for us. Glad we didn't draft the guy. Atleast McGahee put up some solid #'s though.

The future outlook definitely doesn’t sound promising since Thomas has already talked about wanting to take a break from the rigors of the NFL during the offseason

First year, the guy has 15 catches for 120 yards, and is talking about needing a break from his rigorous NFL season. :unsure: You have to be kidding me. Atleast they said Hardy was working hard in every practice. I never once read an article that said Hardy acted like he was the "ish" either.

HArdy's bigest knock, prior to the draft was , the despite his tremedous physical gifts, he was very very raw as a WR. And in alot of respect, hardy was set up to fail here in buffalo when he was drafted with the idea that he was going to step right in and take Reed's job. As we have witnessed, Reed is a big set of shoes to fill. Hardy's injury set his development back, but i think with some work, he will be a tremendous asset in a year or 2.

How often does this type of stuff happen with a rookie? Seriously, you give a kid who has never had lots of money, a few hundred thousand dollars (if not more), and freedom, they are bound to make bad choices. Now, what happens in the next 6 months becomes key. Does someone pull him aside and and tell me, ok you've had your fun, now start acting like a professional, or does he continue to wander around blind and clueless. True maturity isn't as easy to gauge as you'd think when it comes to drafting 21-23 year olds. Hopefully for his own sake, he matures and begins to realize, it's not about partying, getting laid and having fun, if he wants a career and future financial sercurity.

Could we take out the nightlife part of this article, replace it with pulling a gun on someone, and then replace Thomas' name everywhere in article with Hardy?

I'm just sayin.

I was a big proponent of not drafting the kid due to his immaturity and lack of discipline off the field. I have to say though that after that incident with his father I haven't heard anything negative about him off the field or in practice. A lot of people believe that you can't judge a WR fully until their third year.

What's making people upset about him is he's behind Steve Johnson right now as far as being a polished receiver and Johnson was a late round pick.

HArdy's bigest knock, prior to the draft was , the despite his tremedous physical gifts, he was very very raw as a WR. And in alot of respect, hardy was set up to fail here in buffalo when he was drafted with the idea that he was going to step right in and take Reed's job. As we have witnessed, Reed is a big set of shoes to fill. Hardy's injury set his development back, but i think with some work, he will be a tremendous asset in a year or 2.

I only think he was set up to fail by the fans. I say, like you do, to give him time to grow.

9 catches for 87 yards and 2 TD's :unsure:

Yeah, it is sad but as mentioned above he came into the league with people knowing he needed some work.

It also doesn't help that in fewer games Steve Johnson has more catches, more yards and the same number of TD's. Before the draft nobody knew Johnson was going to be this good this soon or he would've been drafted much higher. Johnson is a 1 in a 1000 find. Once Hardy gets going having Evans, Johnson who's 6'2" and Hardy who's 6'6" will give the Bills good size, great speed and a real problem for opposing teams to cover.

IMO, it's hard to call many rookies busts after one year. It's not impossible he'll be a great receiver but his attitude right now has him riding on the tracks to bustville.

Glad he's not a Bill. :unsure:

This is why there should be a rookie pay scale put in place. They should have to earn the 100's of thousands or millions showered on them. Let's hope Hardy does not end up on the same train to bustville. To your point only one year and the guy was seriously hurt but early signs are not good.

It also doesn't help that in fewer games Steve Johnson has more catches, more yards and the same number of TD's. Before the draft nobody knew Johnson was going to be this good this soon or he would've been drafted much higher. Johnson is a 1 in a 1000 find. Once Hardy gets going having Evans, Johnson who's 6'2" and Hardy who's 6'6" will give the Bills good size, great speed and a real problem for opposing teams to cover.

Shades of Andre Reed, maybe...? You never know... particularly if we get a great OL starter or a TE starter with Edwards. Jauron is the one holding us back, for sure though. Keep hope!

IMO, it's hard to call many rookies busts after one year. It's not impossible he'll be a great receiver but his attitude right now has him riding on the tracks to bustville.

Glad he's not a Bill. :unsure:

Are you kidding? The player personnel experts on this board can sniff out a bust after one play!

PTR

This is why there should be a rookie pay scale put in place. They should have to earn the 100's of thousands or millions showered on them. Let's hope Hardy does not end up on the same train to bustville. To your point only one year and the guy was seriously hurt but early signs are not good.

The players union is going to use that as a bargaining chip but I don't believe it's a strong one. I'm pretty sure 99% of the players would love that to happen. A higher percentage of the salary cap being available for veterans can be only good for them. I'm sure it pisses Steve Johnson off to a certain extent that Devin Thomas is making a lot more than he is. I doubt he's that upset about Hardy because he's a teammate but look at Marques Colston who was the fourth from last pick at 252 in the 2006 draft. I'd be willing to bet he makes less than DT.

The main people who will be against this are the agents.