For All Who Wanted Devin Thomas With Our 1st

H2o

The players union is going to use that as a bargaining chip but I don't believe it's a strong one. I'm pretty sure 99% of the players would love that to happen. A higher percentage of the salary cap being available for veterans can be only good for them.

I'm sure the owners hate paying all that money to (high pick) rookies, and since there hasn't been a rookie salary cap so far, I can only surmise that the NFLPA likes that rookies get paid that well. If they both hated it, it would have been changed a long time ago.

A perfect example of how fans are not always right and youtube clips should not be justification for a 1st round pick. As hard as I ride our FO, they seem to have made the right pick at least in the 1st round. After that, who knows.

:unsure:

Now let's see how often that matters in the offseason. There is so much more to drafting than looking at film. The interviews with players and their coaches and friends and family as well as their overall attitude enters into this.

A lot of people believe that character only applies to off the field incidents and not in practice or on the field but character in those areas is very important to the success of a player. A lot of talented guys can dominate in college without much work but when they get to the NFL everybody is talented and what separates them is often who works the hardest to become better.

I'm sure the owners hate paying all that money to (high pick) rookies, and since there hasn't been a rookie salary cap so far, I can only surmise that the NFLPA likes that rookies get paid that well. If they both hated it, it would have been changed a long time ago.

I have yet to hear one vet player say they like the rookie sal cap situation.

I think subsequent years for those draftees should give them raises as their production increases.

I have yet to hear one vet player say they like the rookie sal cap situation.

I have yet to hear one vet player say they don't like it. Yet it's still there and like I said, the owners surely can't like it.

The main people who will be against this are the agents. (referring to rookie pay scale - BB)

SD not so sure I agree here - it simply changes their focus a bit. Less money made on rookies but better money available for veterans. I have a hard time believing that the vets would not support it. Look at a guy like Mike Williams who collected millions and was not worth a McDonald's dollar menu value meal.

I would even suport that the "rookie contract" period be short, say two or three seasons, with the teams holding first right of refusal to sign them thereafter. That way players can prove their value and still see a big payday relatively soon. I do not deny anybody who can play in the NFL the money they make. Personally, I do have a problem with the guys like Williams that get set for life just because they are big and athletic. Do something with what you have then get paid. To your point it is also unfair to the guys who are perhaps a little smaller or a little less athletic who do prove themselves on the field but don't see a big payday until much later in their career (if at all in the event they are injured).

:unsure:

Now let's see how often that matters in the offseason. There is so much more to drafting than looking at film. The interviews with players and their coaches and friends and family as well as their overall attitude enters into this.

A lot of people believe that character only applies to off the field incidents and not in practice or on the field but character in those areas is very important to the success of a player. A lot of talented guys can dominate in college without much work but when they get to the NFL everybody is talented and what separates them is often who works the hardest to become better.

Awesome :doh: More true than anything else is how a person carries himself at ALL times and not only when the cameras are watching him. Look at Ryan Leaf with his psychotic outbursts. Look at Vince Young and his current problems. Pac-Man Jones and his current situation. Vincent Jackson and the trouble he seems to be getting himself into. All of these players were expected to be more than what they've been. It just goes to show that college success and "talent" isn't all it takes. The ones who are the best usually are the ones who work the harder than anyone, also posessing the strongest will to succeed. There are some flukes out there, but not many. The main ones that come to my mind are Ray Lewis, Ladanian Tomlinson, Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Larry Fitzgerald, Jerry Rice, and others whom have lead the way. These guys just seem to want it more than others. We need players with that kind of drive along with the talent that will correlate into a superstar.

Gene Upshaw liked it. Now that he is gone look for it to change. I think for that reason, a number of Juniors will come out early (this year) before it does change.

hardy did show an ability to be a target in the endzone, he just needs steady improvement.

if he gets involved for 30 or 40 catches that could be 7 or 8 tds.

I don't see how Hardy could catch more than 3-4 TD passes unless Trent throws for at least 16 TD's next year. Not likely in my opinion.

Link to PFT Rumormill: http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Link to article Skins overview of WR's: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...redskinsinsider

That would've been McGahee part deux for us. Glad we didn't draft the guy. Atleast McGahee put up some solid #'s though.

Too early to say. His figures are pretty similar to Hardy's, and it's too early to decide on either. Don't like the rumors of night life, but it's too early. I lived in D.C. for eight years and the media coverage of the Redskins there is seriously fanatical, to the point of being nuts, and that was twenty years ago before the internet. There was only one sports radio station in the area at that time. It rivals NYC for nutso rumors and coverage.

And I hardly think that wanting a break in the offseason counts as alarming. It instead makes me question the loon writing the article.

Still, Thomas has a lot to prove.

Full disclosure: I wanted DeSean Jackson first, but Thomas second, and I posted a lot about it, saying we didn't need a big reciever, we needed a good reciever, and then going with Thomas as my first choice of the big guys.

Considering Trent threw for all of 11 TD's in an entire year, 2 TD's for Hardy looks pretty good.

Good point. Out of 13 TD passes by the QB's this past year, 2 of them (15%) went to Hardy. And one was a game-winner.

Good point. Out of 13 TD passes by the QB's this past year, 2 of them (15%) went to Hardy. And one was a game-winner.

Hardy made a spectacular catch on his first attempt at a lob in the endzone to win the game. I really don't think we tried to lob it to him in the endzone more than one time after that. A couple of times we tried to get him the ball in the red zone or near the goalline and it didn't work, but straight lobs to him in the corner, you know, the reason we drafted him and the thing he does best? We decided not to try it, especially after it worked.

Hardy made a spectacular catch on his first attempt at a lob in the endzone to win the game. I really don't think we tried to lob it to him in the endzone more than one time after that. A couple of times we tried to get him the ball in the red zone or near the goalline and it didn't work, but straight lobs to him in the corner, you know, the reason we drafted him and the thing he does best? We decided not to try it, especially after it worked.

Same with the fake field goal. I said to my friends at the time "that was great BUT they should have saved it for LATER in the year when they may need it"