Is Peyton a choker? Yes according to Whitlock

Willis990

A bit unfair, I think. Manning does have a ring, after all. As for the playoff record, I can think of at least two of those losses that fell on the shoulders of a gutless Vanderjagt.

When he left the field on Saturday night, the Colts were ahead. Blame the defense for letting the Chargers tie it and for the penalties in overtime. You could also blame the refs if you think the penalties were unjustified.

Whitlock is an idiot in the Colin Coward mold- wanting to simplify everything for the lowest common denominator of fans. The fact is that he had a really good defense that one postseason. It has been ok since, but not the same. No player in the NFL does it all himself- if one could, Cassell would not have been successful when Brady went down, because the Pats success would have been all Brady.

You win by controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball- if the QB is good, you clean up the reat.

The Colts are set up to live and die by Peyton. In addition to a susceptible defense they are highly reliant on the pass. Run and stop the run generally makes for champions. You think that adage would change with time - perhaps the cheatriots with Brady are the exception - however the Giants would agrue otherwise.

I really don't know if I'd call Manning a choker but the stats speak for themselves. 7-8 is a bad playoff record for one of the greatest QBs ever. And while people say he won a Super Bowl, Manning threw 3 tds and 7 INTs in the 3 games. I would obviously take Manning any day fo the week, but he is closer to Dan marino than he is to Montana.

Whitlock writes controversial columns just for the sake of being controversial. That's the only way he can get people to read his tripe.

Everytime someone complains about him and posts a link to one of this ridiculous pieces, he gets more hits for the Fox Sports web site and can say to his employers, "Hey, look at all the people who want to read me!" I don't even bother when I see a headline like that.

Whitlock writes controversial columns just for the sake of being controversial. That's the only way he can get people to read his tripe.

Everytime someone complains about him and posts a link to one of this ridiculous pieces, he gets more hits for the Fox Sports web site and can say to his employers, "Hey, look at all the people who want to read me!" I don't even bother when I see a headline like that.

Dead on.

It's not a big shock to me that his playoff numbers are not as good as his regular season stats. He plays BETTER teams in the playoffs. D-coordinators can force you to beat them other ways. I'd take Manning in a NY minute so I'm not sure why he even wrote that blurb? Peyton won a SB,,,so that's all that matters.

I really don't know if I'd call Manning a choker but the stats speak for themselves. 7-8 is a bad playoff record for one of the greatest QBs ever. And while people say he won a Super Bowl, Manning threw 3 tds and 7 INTs in the 3 games. I would obviously take Manning any day fo the week, but he is closer to Dan marino than he is to Montana.

I would suggest that Peyton's post season (lack of) success is directly comparable to Marino's. The Dolphins fell in love with the arm of Marino and relied almost solely on his passing ability. In much the same way, the Colts rely entirely too much on the passing of Peyton. Although good enough to get them a great number of wins, the really good teams are able to develop a game plan that neutralizes any one player.

When you get to the playoffs, more often than not, you're facing really good teams. Pressure Manning and throw off his timing and what do the Colts have? Not much. A very, very average run game and a very, very average defense. For all the greatness of Polian and the Colts, they're not nearly balanced enough and they've continually relied too much on Peyton's throwing to win games.

The Dolphins never gave Marino a solid defense or running game and he won zero Super Bowls. You could add Elway to this conversation, as well. How well did he do in the big games until Davis got there? Give Manning a better balanced team and I would almost guarantee he "chokes" less.

I like Jason Whitlock and I think he's a good writer, but he's way off base here.

I posted 'bout this topic years ago, and I stand by my stance on this issue.

Completely agreed Rich. I like most of Whitlock's work, but he's dead wrong on this issue. Sure, Peyton hasn't always played as good in the playoffs as he has in the regular season. Of course, in the playoffs you are playing much tougher teams. And i find it tough to fault him for Vanderjagt's misses or defensive failures. As mentioned above, Peyton left the field with a lead on saturday. His defense had 2 shots to stop SD from tying/winning and they didn't.

Regarding the Harrison issue, you know i've always agreed with you. I read the other day that Harrison has played in 16 playoff games, and his line is 65-865-2. And both TD's came in the 1 blowout against denver. Harrison had a bad habit of turtling in the playoffs.

As a huge Indy fan I cant disagree. Every year the team dominates the regular season and then lays an egg in the post season. The San Diego game Colts offense scores 17 points. The Colts need to score 28. When you spend all your money on one side of the ball it HAS to produce.

If you look at the 1 Superbowl run what did Peyton and crew do? Not much. That was a championship run won by Bob Sanders and the Colts defense. Peyton and crew finally showed up in the second half of the Pats game.

Wild-Card playoffs: Indianapolis 23(Win), Kansas City 8

Divisional playoffs: Indianapolis 15(Win), Baltimore 6

Look at the scores. A little surprising.... The Superbowl against the Bears was the perfect set up for the Colts. Playing a team with a terrible offense with Sexy Rexy at the helm. Alot of teams would have won that one.

Can we throw race into this topic too?

Based on past columns of Whitlock's that I've read, I think it's fair to say that if Manning was african american, he'd be viewed by Jason as the greatest QB of all time. Undoubtedly, Manning would have single-handidly brought his organization out of obscurity, and through Manning's sheer will alone, he dragged his team into the playoffs this season.

I give Jason all the credit for calling a spade a spade when it comes to young black athletes getting into trouble with the law, but his columns are often "less than color blind". I understand he's writing from his point of view and frame of reference, but it doesn't go unnoticed.

Actually, if Dan Marino had the San Francisco defense, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, and the rest of that group, people would be putting him well ahead of Joe Montana. Dan Marino was a more talented QB than Montana was. Montana was in a better situation and made the most of it.