Jack Kemp diagnosed with cancer

OnTheRocks

Sorry if this had already been posted:

Kemp diagnosed with cancer

By ANDY BARR | 1/7/09 10:25 AM EST Text Size:

Former GOP vice presidential nominee Jack Kemp, 73, has been diagnosed with cancer.

According to a statement from his consulting firm, Kemp Partners, doctors are still testing Kemp before determining a course of treatment.

“Mr. Kemp and his family are grateful for the thoughts and prayers of friends and appreciate respect for their privacy at this time,” read a statement from his spokeswoman Bona Park.

Kemp has been calling friends and political associates to inform them of the news, a well-connected Republican said. The Republican said Kemp has told friends that he went to the doctor complaining of pain but was otherwise feeling fine. Tests showed that he has cancer in multiple places.

Kemp served in the House of Representatives for 18 years before former President George H.W. Bush plucked him to serve as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Kemp ran for the Republican nomination in 1996 before losing to eventual nominee former Sen. Bob Dole (R-Kan.) and joining him on the ticket.

Kemp has remained a strong voice in conservative circles since leaving elective politics, advocating for tax cuts and empowerment programs for minorities and low-income families.

Prior to serving in Congress, Kemp was an NFL quarterback, starting for the Buffalo Bills and others.

Interesting that they don't say what kind of cancer. That, the fact that he was complaining of pain, and the mentioning of multiple places makes me think of generally bad things, like multiple myeloma. Hope I'm wrong.

Best wishes for a full recovery to #15.

Has any other Bill besides Todd Collins worn that number since Jack? I'd like to see it retired. :worthy:

At the rate the team is going, he may be the ONLY guy to have led the team to league championships.. :P

Interesting that they don't say what kind of cancer. That, the fact that he was complaining of pain, and the mentioning of multiple places makes me think of generally bad things, like multiple myeloma. Hope I'm wrong.

The pricey Gleevec might help if that's the case. Pray he's not presenting with an extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma.

There are experimental drugs that can promote your life, but not cure the cancer. My godmother died Saturday at 82. In October 2006, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It usually kills you in 6 months to a year. At least I got to see her the week before she died when I was back in Buffalo visiting.

The pricey Gleevec might help if that's the case. Pray he's not presenting with an extrapulmonary small cell carcinoma.

Gleevac is a drug for CML not MM. Gleevac blocks a specific tyrosine kinase fusion protein found only in CML cells. There has been some recent success with MM treatment but it is still a pretty bad diagnosis.