Bills' offense vs. playoff team offenses

I am not the sharpest football mind but one difference I noticed between our offense and those of the teams playing yesterday, is how much time the QBs seem to have at the LOS after breaking the huddle to scan and read the D before the snap.

This year both Trent & JP seemed to consistently break the huddle and get to the line with 5-8 seconds left on the play clock. Not saying this is the QB's fault - there seems to be a lot of indecision in playcalling with the Bills coaching staff, most notably at the end of the half against the Pats*. Playoff teams seem to get to the LOS with 10-12 seconds, giving the QB plenty of time to scan and read before the snap.

This, and quality tight end play were two glaring differences I noticed yesterday. Anyone else notice this?

I think that is a good point. We often did seem to struggle getting plays in. The ear piece in the helmet shuts off automatically at 15 seconds, but it seems that often Trent is having to go near the sideline to get the play. Getting to the line late really limits what the QB can do as far as adjustments to formation or even audibling. That has to be on the offensive coaching staff - specifically Schonert and possibly Van Pelt.

I am not the sharpest football mind but one difference I noticed between our offense and those of the teams playing yesterday, is how much time the QBs seem to have at the LOS after breaking the huddle to scan and read the D before the snap.

This year both Trent & JP seemed to consistently break the huddle and get to the line with 5-8 seconds left on the play clock. Not saying this is the QB's fault - there seems to be a lot of indecision in playcalling with the Bills coaching staff, most notably at the end of the half against the Pats*. Playoff teams seem to get to the LOS with 10-12 seconds, giving the QB plenty of time to scan and read before the snap.

This, and quality tight end play were two glaring differences I noticed yesterday. Anyone else notice this?

But, but continuity is the best way to go...

I think that is a good point. We often did seem to struggle getting plays in. The ear piece in the helmet shuts off automatically at 15 seconds, but it seems that often Trent is having to go near the sideline to get the play. Getting to the line late really limits what the QB can do as far as adjustments to formation or even audibling. That has to be on the offensive coaching staff - specifically Schonert and possibly Van Pelt.

That is soley on the coaching staff...It is a mental thing that you have to practice during the off season. Those small things make the difference between 7 and 10 wins.

The inconsistent QB play we have. Our running game didn't turn it up until the second half of the year, which means our OL didn't get it going until the second half of the season. With the inconsistent QB play, we had a lack of production in the passing game which leads to WR's not being really productive at all. Our defense lacks any resemblance of a pass rush and our LB's kept getting blown up by whomever was blocking them.

QB PLAY!!!!!!

The only team in the playoffs that didnt have an above average QB this year was probably Baltimore. But the QB "game managed" and let that dominating D and solid Run game do its job.

Our inability to throw a pass to the WR's kills us, especially with no real threat at TE. And dont tell me (not you OP, refering to the other posters) about our WR's not getting open as they repeatedly got open and TE/JP couldnt get them the ball. Many a replays showed Evans and Co. open while Trent dumps off short on a check down, often because he didnt just turn his head and look to the other side of the field.

Our long drives were a product most of the time of our running game. Once Trent came back and started to struggle he was a shell of what he had been and that was the end of our season...blame DJ all you want, but Trent, yes your beloved Trent combined with the poor play of JP is the SOLE reason our season is over.

Sure DJ had his bone head moments that I think should have gotten him replaced, but our season was more greatly affected by lousy QB play...the same thing that has hampered just about every year since Kelly retired. You can NOT win in this league without solid QB play. The only exception is if you have a dominating D, but even then, the QB still needs to not lose them games...

I gotta go with play calling. Whoever is sending the calls in takes too long, as you have pointed out. Not to mention that he is also sending in pretty lousy plays. I guess the offensive line could use more work and we should shore it up with the draft and free agency. I think a change in the offensive co-ordinator position would be called for, although he seemed far more aggressive and assured in his play calling in the first six games. Wonder what happened.

I noticed that the QBs on playoff teams tend to throw downfield at least 3-5 times per game, even if it incomplete.

YES!

I noticed alot of these qb's wait for the play to develop or "open up" instead of just checking down or forcing a bad throw to a covered receiver.

YES!

QB PLAY!!!!!!

The only team in the playoffs that didnt have an above average QB this year was probably Baltimore. But the QB "game managed" and let that dominating D and solid Run game do its job.

Our inability to throw a pass to the WR's kills us, especially with no real threat at TE. And dont tell me (not you OP, refering to the other posters) about our WR's not getting open as they repeatedly got open and TE/JP couldnt get them the ball. Many a replays showed Evans and Co. open while Trent dumps off short on a check down, often because he didnt just turn his head and look to the other side of the field.

Our long drives were a product most of the time of our running game. Once Trent came back and started to struggle he was a shell of what he had been and that was the end of our season...blame DJ all you want, but Trent, yes your beloved Trent combined with the poor play of JP is the SOLE reason our season is over.

Sure DJ had his bone head moments that I think should have gotten him replaced, but our season was more greatly affected by lousy QB play...the same thing that has hampered just about every year since Kelly retired. You can NOT win in this league without solid QB play. The only exception is if you have a dominating D, but even then, the QB still needs to not lose them games...

YES!

I think a change in the offensive co-ordinator position would be called for, although he seemed far more aggressive and assured in his play calling in the first six games. Wonder what happened.

Dick Jauron's contract extension....that's what happened.

Very good post you put some thought into it.

Yes ...lack of speed in play calling is caused by Turk being a rookie OC. But this is something i'm sure ( or hope) that the coaches notice in game film . This is very correctable and they must get better at this.

Trent will get and has to get better at getting the team to the line with 12 seconds left . This is lack of experience showing.

Remember that he still has a learning curve. He will be a very good QB i think still.

As we know Royal is not the TE you want. That's why they drafted Fine in the first place. Im sure they will try to upgrade the TE spot in the offseason.

Mike Shanahan would have been both Head coach and OC

you heard me Ralph...... ya big dummie

Mike Shanahan would have been both Head coach and OC

you heard me Ralph...... ya big dummie

Shannahan isnt coaching anywhere in 09...

It's currently lining up to be a coaching gold mine as 4 of the top 10 winnigest coaches of all time should be available as well as some others. So if DJ fails again in 09, he will get the ax and there will be premiere coaching candidates there for us to choose from and quite a few less jobs for them to choose.

2010 likely has these top 4 winnigest coaches of all time:

Cowher

Shannahan

Holmgren

Dungy

Other possibles that might also still be there or come available:

Reid (if philly flounders next year)

Shottenheimer (if he doesn't take something this year)

Mariucci

Billick

Fassel

Morris

There likely will not be nearly as many coaching openings as there is this year meaning less competition for their services. If we can show some promise again next year and have a decent draft, we should be a pretty attractive place to come into in terms of talent at that point too.