Age and Outlook on the Bills

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Longwinded answer. Sorry - touching a nerve.

50 years old.

Initiated around '67-'68 at the old Rockpile. 4th row, 50 yard line, visitor's side.

Namath, Unitas, Lamonica, etc. within spitting distance. Still didn't have full grasp of the game.

TV games would get boring, and usually by halftime, I was outside playing front yard football with brothers and neighborhood kids.

Developed better attention span a couple of years later and became a fan(atic), digesting Courier Express articles in the morning paper before school, and Buffalo Evening News columns in the p.m., after school - around the time OJ started his breakout season and was in a race with the Redskins Larry Brown for the 1972 season rushing title.

This was when Saban started his 2nd tour with the team and there was hope of a good team for the first time since 1966.

They made one playoff appearance (1974) before Wilson tightened the purse strings and managed to run Saban out of town - again.

Then came the "exciting" Jim Ringo, Harvey Johnson years before proven winner Chuck Knox arrived as our next great hope in 1978. Once again, conflicts with GM Stew Barber and Wilson, and the refusal to pay for good players prompted Knox to leave after building a playoff team.

A few more years of despair with Stephenson and Bullough, before Bill Polian's decision to bring in Marv Levy, and once again brought hope. Only this time, not false hope. Real hope for a great team. The first time in almost 30 years.

We all know what happened then. Starting with the dismissal of Polian, a gradual decline and then back to the same old pattern.

I've been to at least one game a year for several years before moving to Atlanta in '86. Had season tickets a few times since then. Been to at least 30 of the last 35 season openers. Been to many of the great games, including first Monday night game in '73, Raiders spectacular opener in '74, Miami opener in '80, Rams defeated in '79, ganes in Tampa, Cinci, Atlanta, Miami, and many many others.

Lots of great memories in spite of the bungling from the front office.

This season, with all it's anticipation and promise of a return to playoff caliber football, was a kick in the teeth.

Stood up at the alter. That empty feeling when you walk into your home and find it's been ransacked. Violated.

I've had it. Right now, I'm ready to cancel my 11 year NFL Sunday Ticket subscription and give up altogether on this team. I feel like we're being played by Wilson & Co. I think the Kelly glory years was a fluke. There's no sign in sight of the team reaching those lofty levels again any time soon. The retention of Jauron and staff make the clear statement that mediocrity is an acceptable achievement by the Buffalo Bills.

Sorry, Ralph, but not so for the fans. Our expectations are higher than your measure of success.

Right now, not looking forward to another season of getting let down. Usually when the last game is played, I'm left wanting more. This year it couldn't end soon enough for me. I feel like the 2008 team robbed me of my innocence and I don't know if I'll ever be duped into that sense of off-season optimism again. Who knows? I may pull a Brett Favre and get all optimistic and rejuvinated when the days get longer and smell of fresh cut lawn is back in the air.

There was something about the futility of this past year that I sense for a lot of us, was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's compromised our allegiance to our beloved team. Next year? I just don't know.

50 years old.

Initiated around '67-'68 at the old Rockpile. 4th row, 50 yard line, visitor's side.

Namath, Unitas, Lamonica, etc. within spitting distance. Still didn't have full grasp of the game.

TV games would get boring, and usually by halftime, I was outside playing front yard football with brothers and neighborhood kids.

Developed better attention span a couple of years later and became a fan(atic), digesting Courier Express articles in the morning paper before school, and Buffalo Evening News columns in the p.m., after school - around the time OJ started his breakout season and was in a race with the Redskins Larry Brown for the 1972 season rushing title.

This was when Saban started his 2nd tour with the team and there was hope of a good team for the first time since 1966.

They made one playoff appearance (1974) before Wilson tightened the purse strings and managed to run Saban out of town - again.

Then came the "exciting" Jim Ringo, Harvey Johnson years before proven winner Chuck Knox arrived as our next great hope in 1978. Once again, conflicts with GM Stew Barber and Wilson, and the refusal to pay for good players prompted Knox to leave after building a playoff team.

A few more years of despair with Stephenson and Bullough, before Bill Polian's decision to bring in Marv Levy, and once again brought hope. Only this time, not false hope. Real hope for a great team. The first time in almost 30 years.

We all know what happened then. Starting with the dismissal of Polian, a gradual decline and then back to the same old pattern.

I've been to at least one game a year for several years before moving to Atlanta in '86. Had season tickets a few times since then. Been to at least 30 of the last 35 season openers. Been to many of the great games, including first Monday night game in '73, Raiders spectacular opener in '74, Miami opener in '80, Rams defeated in '79, ganes in Tampa, Cinci, Atlanta, Miami, and many many others.

This season, with all it's anticipation and promise of a return to playoff caliber football, was a kick in the teeth.

Stood up at the alter. That empty feeling when you walk into your home and find it's been ransacked. Violated.

I've had it. Right now, I'm ready to cancel my 11 year NFL Sunday Ticket subscription and give up altogether on this team. I feel like we're being played by Wilson & Co. I think the Kelly glory years was a fluke. There's no sign in sight of the team reaching those lofty levels again any time soon. The retention of Jauron and staff make the clear statement that mediocrity is an acceptable achievement by the Buffalo Bills.

Sorry, Ralph, but not so for the fans. Our expectations are higher than your measure of success.

Right now, not looking forward to another season of getting let down. Usually when the last game is played, I'm left wanting more. This year it couldn't end soon enough for me. I feel like the 2008 team robbed me of my innocence and I don't know if I'll ever be duped into that sense of off-season optimism again. Who knows? I may pull a Brett Favre and get all optimistic and rejuvinated when the days get longer and smell of fresh cut lawn is back in the air.

There was something about the futility of this past year that I sense for a lot of us, was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's compromised our allegiance to our beloved team. Next year? I just don't know.

Great post. Sums it all up.

Great post & I agree with you 100%

Fan since: 1986, although I went to several games before that.

Outlook: Resigned to mediocrity.

I feel your pain, Dave, and I think there were two components in the "something" you mentioned. The second-half swoon was bad enough on its own, but seeing the Bills play a "home" game in Toronto brought home the reality that the team might not always be here. That made for a lethal combination.

Condolences to PSU.

The db's...ouch.

Uh huh. They were way overmatched last night. Better recruit some DBs that can match up. It's been fun ('cept for last night) watching USC's secondary play over the past couple seasons. They not only have the athleticism to match up w/ teams, but players like Mays last night and Terrell Thomas in seasons prior are as physical as any out there. That secondary has been brutal. Sure wish PENN STATE or the Bills played w/ that kind of tenacity.

Like CableLady, I've seen it all and share many of her views. My heart bleeds for those Bills fans who's spouses and parents have passed on never seeing them achieve a Super Bowl victory and I too fear the end of the franchise is near. I view the commitment to Jauron as a terminal one.

This said, I'm hooked for their entire existance -or my own..

One thing I've seen here and in talking with fellow fans is the utter dismay at the direction of the team. It seems that the longer you've been a Bills fan, the more hurt you are by the 2008 season and the decision to keep Jauron. The newer fans seem more optimistic - keep supporting the Bills and eventually they'll get better.

Is there a fatigue factor in how you think? I'm curious to find out. Tell me:

• How long have you been a Bills fan? (Be honest - if you're 30 you haven't been a Bills fan for 30 years - when did you really become a fan?)
  • What's your out look on the Bills now? Done with being a fan? Optimistic that with a few small tweaks we'll win the division on the next couple of years? Where are you on the spectrum?

I'm 32 and have been a fan since 1990 or so. I'm not optimistic with Jauron and am resigned to the fact that the Bills will probably suck for the foreseeable future. But I can't say I'd ever change my loyalities and ever stop rooting for the Bills. My expecations for next year are low. I think if we get some quality free agents or a good draft we might make it back to 7-9. But the Pats and Dolphins will be better next year so at bext we'll finish 3rd in the AFC East.

45 - Bills fan since around '75.

I'm optimistic in the sense that I still see this team improving. This year was frustrating, both that I thought the easy schedule would give them a shot at a winning record and probably a wild-card; and also that I thought they wasted a couple of draft picks on Ellis and Corner when they could have been getting a better TE or a legitimate FB.

I was certain they were one and done in the playoffs even if they got there - even when they were 4-0 and 5-1.

You can't win with center-play as bad as they have. You can't win with no pass rush and their DE play was awful.

Since these are both easily fixed in the draft this year, yes, I'm optimistic they're going to get better.

I believe in Edwards. Edwards just seems to have that "it" that (for his young age) has him making really good decisions REALLY QUICKLY. He's plenty big, plenty strong, and generally extremely accurate. Former QB's all over the league rave about him when they see him. We shouldn't be so cynical as fans not to see what the rest of the league sees in him.

QB's like that are hard to come by. I say we got a steal, and a really good start on a strong team to build on.

Lynch and Jackson are talented and warriors. What's not to like about watching them play.

AND yeah, I agree Jauron's game-time work has been bad. Guess what - so does Ralph Wilson.

I believe after they upgrade Center, DE, and TE, this team will be VERY TALENTED. If Jauron doesn't get it done next season, he's gone, and RW will have a chance to upgrade at coach too. Complain all you want about Ralph being too cheap to get a Cowher, etc. The Ravens and Falcons didn't bring in big names for big money. How did that work our? Dan Snyder (Redskins owner) has paid big $$ for coaches - how's that working out for him? The Redskins look about like the Bills, with many of the same issues, except all their good players are OLD. Ours, except for Schobel and the kickers, are YOUNG.

Who'd you rather root for, than this team, right now?!! :devil:

50 years old.

52 years old, been a fan since 66, not going to renew my Sunday Ticket of 10 Years, will NEVER buy another Bills' item, hope the best for the Fans and the City, don't see a winning team in Buffalo before I depart this world, sorry I influanced my son to become a Bills Fan, hope I'm wrong.

In a nut shell, as long as Wilson is in charge the business of the Bills will do well but the team and city will suffer, after that who knows and I won't care because they won't be the Bills anymore.

Been a fan since November, 1987. I moved to WNY from So. Calif early October, 1987 and was immediately drawn in to football by the locals in my neighborhood. Haven't missed watching a game since early December, 87.

Like Cablelady, I have gone through some tough times in my life and have learned that it's not just about the game, but also the memories of great parties and tailgates with friends, memories of great games (the comeback) and the four consecutive divisions championships which keep the faith.

I watch every game with hope - but am not overly down when they lose.

And I'm old.

40 and been a "confirmed" fan since the mid 80's (throughout the 70's I watched but mostly because my parents did and I had no choice).

Let me ask a related question. What kind of start to next season would make you feel good? If the Bills start out 3-0 or 4-0 again, can anyone really think that they're starting a playoff run?

I find it hard to look at this team with any hope or optimism. So, what will it take to make me think we're on a playoff run next season? I really don't know, but I doubt I'll believe it until I actually see a little symbol beside the Bills name that denotes "clinched playoff spot".

I will forever follow the Buffalo Bills, but I have no illusions that they'll resemble a professional NFL team any time soon. Sucks. :devil:

I am 32 and been a Bills fan since 88 growing up here in California. My dad was a HUGE niner fan and every year Berman made his Niners vs Bills SB prediction and my dad would always say "This is the year of the Buffalo", so I just started watching them at a time where I started seriously getting into football. Anyway I could root against the Niners was fun since my dad and I were so competitive.

They quickly became one of the most exciting teams in the NFL and I just loved watching the games...been a huge fan ever since. It was my love for the Bills that got me started playing football which I did through 4 years of college for a Pac 10 school and even played for a National Championship. Prior to being a Bills fan I was all into baseball, soccer, and tae kwon do...I was good at that age for Soccer, but not good enough to do much with it past high school (or maybe even in high school), I suked at baseball, and tae kwon do was gonna do nothing for me, so thank you Buffalo (that means you Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Tasker, Smith, Bennett, and co.) for hooking me on football which turned me onto a path giving me some of the best moments of my life and got me where I am today.

I am a fan of the Bills always, for better or worse. For me, this is less painful than losing 4 straight SB's, especially since I live in Cali and have to hear about how many the Niners have constantly. Doesnt help either that most my friends are either Niner, Cowboys, Colts, or Steeler fans, so I hear from all of them and it was never ending during the 4 straight losses.

I would prefer to bring in a Mike Shannahan or someone like that, but I don't dislike DJ as much as most on this board. I think we can win with him, but they have to fix the playcalling. They try and get too cute on critical plays and outsmart themselves rather than just sticking with what's working.

Let me ask a related question. What kind of start to next season would make you feel good? If the Bills start out 3-0 or 4-0 again, can anyone really think that they're starting a playoff run?

That's a really good point. We get off to a great start and all everyone will be thinking is "Remember 2008?".

damndamndamndamndamndamndamn

52 years old, been a fan since 66, not going to renew my Sunday Ticket of 10 Years, will NEVER buy another Bills' item, hope the best for the Fans and the City, don't see a winning team in Buffalo before I depart this world, sorry I influanced my son to become a Bills Fan, hope I'm wrong.

In a nut shell, as long as Wilson is in charge the business of the Bills will do well but the team and city will suffer, after that who knows and I won't care because they won't be the Bills anymore.

Another good idea. You and Beerball should see my first ever post. "Here's what I've dedcided to do." I haven't done the satelite thing, but I do go to the local sports bar that has it, but I can stop doing that and watch the highlights and read the internet when they start losing.

BTW 42, been a fan since about '72 when dad told me 'if I wanted to play football watch how number 32 plays." It still hurts to think about it.

I'm 30 and this season almost broke me. I will however keep watching them and rooting for them. I've always been the optimist but it's getting harder and harder.

Im 30 as well, I was raised to be a Bills fan. Its been the way of life with my folks for as long as I can remember. Its hard for me to even watch the Bills. My father wont watch them until Ralph Wilson sells or leaves the team for good....