Our "ProBowl" tackle said all that needs to be said.

jkx2

Peters is not above criticism, but you can't really tell from the comment how he felt about the season in general. He's exxcited about getting to the pro-bowl, and for him, perhaps thats the pinnacle of individual play for him. He personally is shooting for the pro bowl each season, but that doesn't mean that he doesnt want the team to succeed. All he can do is go out there and perform to his top abilities, and he can't very well conrol the abilities/playing of the other 52 players on the roster.

As for the trade talk, that would be the height of stupidity. You don't trade away a top tier LT who is only fuggin 27 years old. you pay him. plain and simple.

:thumbsup: Thank You, the voice of reason..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peters is not above criticism, but you can't really tell from the comment how he felt about the season in general. He's exxcited about getting to the pro-bowl, and for him, perhaps thats the pinnacle of individual play for him. He personally is shooting for the pro bowl each season, but that doesn't mean that he doesnt want the team to succeed. All he can do is go out there and perform to his top abilities, and he can't very well conrol the abilities/playing of the other 52 players on the roster.

As for the trade talk, that would be the height of stupidity. You don't trade away a top tier LT who is only fuggin 27 years old. you pay him. plain and simple.

How do people know that when Peters "misses an obvious block" that the stellar C (who know, the genius that hiked the ball up his own butt) made the correct line call?

How do people know that when Peters "misses an obvious block" that the stellar C (who know, the genius that hiked the ball up his own butt) made the correct line call?

They just do. Kind of like how they just know "marshawn hit the wrong hole" or "the WR ran the wrong route" and "the DB blew the coverage."

Here's an article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/526490.html

Here's what he said:

“When you put the film on you’ll recognize me.” Peters said. “When you line up in front of me you’re going to recognize me. Bottom line: That’s what matters — the coaches and players. The fan voting, they only see the bad plays. I’m pretty sure they don’t even watch the tackle position. They just see when you get beat. So that’s what matters, when the players and the coaches vote you in.”

Offensive much? And can anyone argue that he doesn't hate the fans in buffalo?

Maybe the same can be said for corners... do we bring back Ken Irvin now?

O-line is one of the few positions where you can be selfish, care about your own performance, and still help the team. Theres only so many ways to dominate the defender selfish or unselfish. WR's not wanting to block, short arming etc is a different storry.

"Pretty much saying F the fans" ???? Where do you get that from? You guys are reading just a bit too much into a short interview and some off the cuff comments. What do you want him to say? "Yeah the fans who hate me and have been calling me a moron for the last 10 months are right, I really don't deserve this, I am a jack ass, shucks, I am so very, very sorry I made the pro bowl, I will go home now and hang myself in the basement."

What confuses me is all those who say he sux and is worthless, also think we can get boatloads of first round picks for him. How does that work?

Right there, in this article: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/526490.html

"The fan voting, they only see the bad plays. I’m pretty sure they don’t even watch the tackle position. They just see when you get beat. So that’s what matters, when the players and the coaches vote you in.”

The words "F the fans" was a little strong, I'll admit. But this is his shot back at the fans for criticizing him all year long.

I've never said that Peters is a bad player...matter of fact in this discussion I called him one of the best O lineman in the league. I just think that Peters, in his mind, is done with Buffalo and he wants to move on. I provided a plan of how we could move on...get gross and trade peters. Carolina has a lot of people they have to pay (Peppers) and cant keep all their FAs. Gross would be a steal, would probably have a contract less than Peters, and we'd get real good value out of peters. Trading a 2 time probowler = a few 1sts.

But if we wanna pay the guy the 11-12 mil he's asking, alright then. I just hope he doesnt get lazy or that 2007 was an aberration.

“That’s what I set out to do every year — to go to the Pro Bowl. They’re not going to vote you in if you don’t play up to your standards.” Asked what point in the season he thought he had regained his Pro Bowl form of 2007, Peters said, “I’d say week five or six. I can’t remember who we were playing but I got my legs back up under me. I was playing like I was last year. It took me like five weeks.”

Two things bother me:

1. Basically he's saying he's playing for himself and the pro bowl.

2. He said it took six weeks to get his legs back under him. - Well guess what Jason thats because you held out and missed all preseason workouts....Did you care that you were playing at less than your best for the team for games one thru five or six?

I think he's a great player but it sure sounds like hes not a very good team player. Trade him now.....

Right there, in this article: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/526490.html

"The fan voting, they only see the bad plays. I’m pretty sure they don’t even watch the tackle position. They just see when you get beat. So that’s what matters, when the players and the coaches vote you in.”

The words "F the fans" was a little strong, I'll admit. But this is his shot back at the fans for criticizing him all year long.

I've never said that Peters is a bad player...matter of fact in this discussion I called him one of the best O lineman in the league. I just think that Peters, in his mind, is done with Buffalo and he wants to move on. I provided a plan of how we could move on...get gross and trade peters. Carolina has a lot of people they have to pay (Peppers) and cant keep all their FAs. Gross would be a steal, would probably have a contract less than Peters, and we'd get real good value out of peters. Trading a 2 time probowler = a few 1sts.

But if we wanna pay the guy the 11-12 mil he's asking, alright then. I just hope he doesnt get lazy or that 2007 was an aberration.

I don't think its a shot as much as a statement of fact and his attempt at explaining why, in his opinion, he made the pro bowl despite not having as good a year this year as he did last year. I think there is so much anger about how this year went that we, myself included, are predisposed to negative judgments, especially with Peters who lost most of the good will he had with fans during the hold out.

The future of the team is really up in the air right now until we know if Jauron is coaching next year. Until then, I think its premature to predict whats going to happen with Peters or what should happen with him. For what its worth, I think we should keep him and I think there are a number of players on the roster who need to go. I think Kelsay and Denney are next to useless, for example. Royal really needs to be thanked for his team effort, first class conduct and such and then cut. I would have no problem looking for a replacement for Lindell. I would also like to see a project type QB to back up Trent and/or a veteran insurance policy there. Our centers, all of them, should be sent to VESID for occupational retraining.

If a team is to have building blocks, foundation as it were, I think our core group is Lynch, Mitchell, McGee, Peters, Evans, Roscoe. Poz, Jackson and hopefully McKelvin in time. I'd be hard pressed to come up with many more names that should be considered almost irreplaceable.

“That’s what I set out to do every year — to go to the Pro Bowl. They’re not going to vote you in if you don’t play up to your standards.” Asked what point in the season he thought he had regained his Pro Bowl form of 2007, Peters said, “I’d say week five or six. I can’t remember who we were playing but I got my legs back up under me. I was playing like I was last year. It took me like five weeks.”

Two things bother me:

1. Basically he's saying he's playing for himself and the pro bowl.

2. He said it took six weeks to get his legs back under him. - Well guess what Jason thats because you held out and missed all preseason workouts....Did you care that you were playing at less than your best for the team for games one thru five or six?

I think he's a great player but it sure sounds like hes not a very good team player. Trade him now.....

It's funny that he got his legs back right when we started losing.

The only thing that quote tells you is that Jason Peters isn't really aware of what he says, or that he is aware but just doesn't care that fans and the press might jump all over the truth. It could be both, because he's said similar type things before.

What he actually said has zero bearing whatsoever on whether he is a team player or not (he may or may not be). And worse, fans are often sucked in by players saying the complete opposite, sucking up to the fans and press and coaches by saying it's all about the team, all about the wins, all about the game and the individual honors are meaningless. Those guys are often not the team players at all, they are just "working the refs".

The fact is, that 99% of the players in the NFL want all three things pretty equally: His team to win, his own self to be recognized as one of the best (like getting awards), and make as big a boatload of money as he possibly can while doing it (which is closely linked to #2 because money is often how these guys are measured against each other).

Sure there are varying degrees here and there, and surely some guys are more team players than others, but it's usually not at all IMO measured by what they say in interviews.

Peters is a great player, and he's absolutely right about the fact if you watch him every play, he dominates most of the game. I know because a lot of games I watch live and I am not sure if he had a great game or not, especially if he gives up a terrible sack like he did a few times. Then when I go home and watch the game on my DVR and actually watch him every play, he was often great and almost always very good. He's clearly IMO the teams best player (if you asked around the league I would bet anything that he would be mentioned as one of the few very best at his position and I doubt any other Bill would get that recognition).

"This is what you play the game for — to get to Hawaii"....Jason Peters

NO! you play the game to get to the Super Bowl. But most players really don't care about that, it's all about ME, not the TEAM.

So sad, but at least you heard it straight from the players mouth. He doesn't even seem to care that the Bills aren't going to the playoffs again. His butt will be on the beach in Hawaii thinking about his next holdout.

Peters to the Pro Bowl is a joke to me.....

After watching Joey Porter get 4 sacks against him in 2 games proves to me has work to do

Maybe coming to training camp might help him

I thought the only player that had a shot at the Pro bowl from the Bills was Marshawn Lynch :wallbash:

BEAST MODE !!!!!

What he actually said has zero bearing whatsoever on whether he is a team player or not (he may or may not be).

Actions speak louder than words. Maybe he needs to shut his mouth, come in to camp on time and work his hardest from game number one and forward. Then he is showing that he a team player.....

His recent actions and words tend to make him less than a team player...

I agree, his attitude kinda sucks, but that is today's millionaire athletes, who are driven by agents who want more money. We could get rid of him, but if we did, and were able to find someone with his abilities (doubtful) to replace him, slim chance that that person would be any different. The individual who said he was the best player on the team, is way off, at least this year. He wasn't even close. Besides missing 20% of the season, between missing the first game and having to take numerous plays off becuase he wasn't in game shape, he missed way more blocks and had way more penalties than last year. If the truth be told, the best player on this team at his position is probably Brian Moorman and has been for the last 5 or 6 years. This year, and this year only, I would probably put Lynch, Evans, L. Walker, Poz, K. Mitchell, Whitner, Parrish just to name a few that had better years than Peters did this year. All told, I really think their only option is to give him the money. With the problems this franchise has had with quarterbacks, it won't make it any easier if we get rid of the most important guy on the offense when it comes to protecting him.

You know what I am thinking? This might be the PERFECT time to trade him.

His stock is at a all time high.....his attitude is at a all time low.....someobody will give up picks and Kirk Chambers has played pretty well.

Pay him what other over paid pro bowl caliber OTs are getting, get a center who does not hike the ball to himself, teach his QB to release the ball in under 6 seconds, and his attitude might change.

Pay him what other over paid pro bowl caliber OTs are getting, get a center who does not hike the ball to himself, teach his QB to release the ball in under 6 seconds, and his attitude might change.

Right, lets make it all perfect for him and maybe he'll play with us...

:rolleyes: Thank You, the voice of reason..

All the evidence you need to prove that his main drive isn't winning the Super Bowl or being a team player is this season. He holds out and isn't ready to play in the 1st game which hurts this team. He comes back out of shape, which he fully admits and gives up more sacks in the next five games than he did in two years. His actions prove that winning is not is main drive.

Yes, there are many players in todays sports that feel this way and for them it's all about being a business. But until the fans call these guys on it and teams don't reward them for not giving everything to win, it will slip even more to where no one will play the game with their utmost effort and commitment.

To reward Jason Peters with a Pro Bowl and his statement of "That's what I play for" is just ridiculous. Like I said he can be giddy as hell for getting in and call it a honor, but it's easy to see that what drives him is not bringing the Bills a championship. All the proof you need is everything he's done and said since July.

While I think he is a gifted player and one of the best the Bills have. His actions and statements should disgust ALL Bills fans because he lets us and his team down this year.