Buffalo had no business keeping JP on the roster

BuffaloBill

Looking back at what might have been ... the Bills were nothing more than idiots for keeping JP on the roster this year. They had opportunities to grab a more experienced and proven number two QB. One could argue that with a change up or relief QB we could have pulled the Cleveland game out and maybe have won against SF. I know that it gets ugly switching QB's back and forth but the Bills made a stupid gamble. They gambled that TE would take consistent strides forward and not get injured. In reality they left themselves with no fallback. Imagine that TE would have been hurt and out in game #1. Imagine how putrid the season would have been with a year of JP under center.

JP was cheap. $900,000.

He knew "the system."

They thought he could play respectable football. They were wrong.

Yes, a real backup would've been nice. How often did Trent and JP communicate? No offense to Hamdan, but Trent spoke to the 3rd stringer more than he did with the backup and that's not really ideal. I'm not sure who would've been a good candidate but someone like Brian Griese sounds good to me.

Looking back at what might have been ... the Bills were nothing more than idiots for keeping JP on the roster this year. They had opportunities to grab a more experienced and proven number two QB. One could argue that with a change up or relief QB we could have pulled the Cleveland game out and maybe have won against SF. I know that it gets ugly switching QB's back and forth but the Bills made a stupid gamble. They gambled that TE would take consistent strides forward and not get injured. In reality they left themselves with no fallback. Imagine that TE would have been hurt and out in game #1. Imagine how putrid the season would have been with a year of JP under center.

Yeah we may have finished last in the division and out of the playoffs. Good thing TE didn't get hurt in week 1.

after the dust has settled. My anger seems to be gravitation towards JP. 2 1/2 horrible, uninspired, very winnable games. He wanted out 'to start', and didnt get his way. He was forced to play out his string here and has looked completely like he could care less what the result of the game is.

If Buffalo was to be hit with a terrorist attack, the posters on this board would find a way to blame JP. lmao...last I checked TE lost us the Cle game, not JP...yet you found a creative way to pin it on him...we have lost 6 of the last 7 games...how many did JP play again?

Seriously, our offense was not doing very well with Trent at the helm, and you can all stay in love with the 5-1 start to justify Trent, but he struggled in most those games for the first 3 quarters, didnt put on a real wow game, and they were all against terrible teams that we should have blown out. Trent got a lot of hype for fourth quarter comebacks during the span...whats that tell you...it tells you did very little the rest of the game against terrible defenses and had to pull out some wins last minute when we should have handled those teams easy.

Honestly, I think we still win most of those games TE won during the 5-1 run because those teams are that bad if TE gets knocked out early, so what a mute point...

after the dust has settled. My anger seems to be gravitation towards JP. 2 1/2 horrible, uninspired, very winnable games. He wanted out 'to start', and didnt get his way. He was forced to play out his string here and has looked completely like he could care less what the result of the game is.

Hate JP all you want, but this is a stupid statement. He wants to win, hes playing for a contract and opportunity next year. Quite honestly, he showed more passion on the field than most of our team when he's out there. Has he struggled...sure...can you pick him apart for mistakes...sure...but you cant say he didnt play his heart out, thats just absurd. The kid plays hard, he may not have the success you want, but he plays hard...thats all you can ask of him, to play to the best of his ability...

If Buffalo was to be hit with a terrorist attack, the posters on this board would find a way to blame JP. lmao...last I checked TE lost us the Cle game, not JP...yet you found a creative way to pin it on him...we have lost 6 of the last 7 games...how many did JP play again?

Seriously, our offense was not doing very well with Trent at the helm, and you can all stay in love with the 5-1 start to justify Trent, but he struggled in most those games for the first 3 quarters, didnt put on a real wow game, and they were all against terrible teams that we should have blown out. Trent got a lot of hype for fourth quarter comebacks during the span...whats that tell you...it tells you did very little the rest of the game against terrible defenses and had to pull out some wins last minute when we should have handled those teams easy.

Honestly, I think we still win most of those games TE won during the 5-1 run because those teams are that bad if TE gets knocked out early, so what a mute point...

The case could easily be made that TE did win those games on Offense simply because we had no running game. Our running just got on track and the blocking has just turned around. To say that we would have won with 60 yards rushing and JP-esque 130 yards passing is insane. Trent was passing for about 240 yards per game that stretch and fairly consistent with the exception of the Oakland game during the 5-1.

You don't win many games with 190 yards of offense if you take the JP factor and add in our running game.

Trent got a lot of hype for fourth quarter comebacks during the span...whats that tell you...it tells you did very little the rest of the game against terrible defenses and had to pull out some wins last minute when we should have handled those teams easy.

Let's be fair here. I agree with you said in the other post that JP tried his best.

That said, are you really gonna criticize Trent for coming from behind and winning? If JP would have not thrown the jest game away, this board would be flooded by those calling to re-sign him and make him the starter. I think that we both know this to be true.

JP did try hard, but he lost more than 2/3 of the games he started.

It's over with JP. We should all try to turn the page.

Going into the season, based on what JP has shown, I thought he was alright as a backup. How many teams have better backups based on JP's 2007 stats? If you had money to spend there were more important places to spend it too. I also thought ihs play in the Arizona game was OK for a backup. But the past 2 1/2 games, he's been horrendous. Is it because he doesn't care? I have trouble believing that as he himself stated, these games were for resume building. Not sure what the problem is, but yes in hindsight, keeping him was a mistake, but at the time, didn't seem that bad of a decision.

My post was in no way a defense of TE. If you read I clearly said Buffalo needed a real second option. Had they had a veteran to go to and one that could actually play the system maybe they would have won a couple of more games. Bottom line is that Buffalo knew JP was at best a flawed player for the system. They screwed him and themselves by keeping him on the roster/

Let's be fair here. I agree with you said in the other post that JP tried his best.

That said, are you really gonna criticize Trent for coming from behind and winning? If JP would have not thrown the jest game away, this board would be flooded by those calling to re-sign him and make him the starter. I think that we both know this to be true.

JP did try hard, but he lost more than 2/3 of the games he started.

It's over with JP. We should all try to turn the page.

I wasnt knocking Trent for winning us the games, my point was he was not exactly lighting the field up. In fact, 2 wins came as a result of Lynch making amazing plays on 3rd and long and 4th and long to scrap for the first down. Trent got over hyped for the comebacks is all I was saying, he didnt exactly play well against bad defenses the majority of the time in those games as we had to come back and win.

My only real point was that he was over hyped as a result because he had been efficient in the 4th quarter, but he had help. In other words, we didnt win those games BECAUSE of Trent, and one could argue with better QB play the first 3 quarters by our QB against those awful teams, then we wouldnt have had to come back in the 4th.

And I didnt mean it to defend JP who has clearly made classic JP mistakes during this run. He has been hampered by TERRIBLE drops by his recievers and Lynch and bad o line protection at times, but then there were plenty of times he just flat out blew it.

And I agree...he leads us to a win against the Jets then this board blows up with QB controversy.

And I didnt mean it to defend JP who has clearly made classic JP mistakes during this run. He has been hampered by TERRIBLE drops by his recievers and Lynch and bad o line protection at times, but then there were plenty of times he just flat out blew it.

And I agree...he leads us to a win against the Jets then this board blows up with QB controversy.

We all could make excuses Alphaman. In 2 consecutive games, Lynch and Jackson dropped screen passes from Trent that probably would have went for touchdowns. It sucks because I think that these guys could both be very good receivers, but they need a coach to answer to.

Look, I'm far from thrilled about how JP played this year. But he didn't lose us those games. He played very poorly at some times, and must be held to blame for it. But this team simply wasn't good enough.

How many good teams did this team beat with the "much better" Trent Edwards under center? None. How many bad teams did they lose to with Trent running the offense? One or two, depending on how you count. In other words, under Trent we lost to the good teams and beat some of the bad teams, but lost to one or two bad teams. Under JP, we lost to the good teams. If you think JP had a major hand in the SF loss, though he played pretty well in that game, then you can say that we lost half a game against a bad team.

In other words, the team played the same in terms of wins and losses under both guys. Does it not look like there perhaps might be other things at work her than QB competence? This seems like a no-brainer to me. If we'd brought in another FA, odds are you'd be as mad at him as you now are at JP. No way to be sure, obviously, but that's the most likely scenario.

Man, we love our scapegoats on this board. Some foam at the mouth about JP. Others burst blood vessels over Jauron. Still others are sent to short stay institutions over their hatred for Mr. Wilson. And more hate the personnel and the personnel gurus to the point of endangering their relationships and marriages. Can't we see that it all works together? There is no one thing without which this will all fall together. Lots of small changes need to be made. The process of overworking this team needs to continue. This team has forgotten how to beat good teams, and every single piece of the puzzle needs to up it's own game.

Good things can happen next year.