I don't think we are that bad....

jonramz

Obviously we have fallen apart the 2nd half of the season, but I don't think this team is that far away from being very good.

Let me start with the good:

The defense is above average, and is a pass rusher away from being in the top tier. We are 15th in points allowed, 11th in yards allowed while being 27th in INTs and 25th in sacks. Do you know how hard it is to stop teams when the QB can stand in the pocket all day long, and the offense can't get you off of the field? Yet somehow our defense has managed to keep us in games. The only game the defense played badly was against the Cardinals.

Our special teams are excellent. I know Lindell has got the shanks, but the return game and punting is yet again a huge strength of this team... getting drive starts around the 40 yard line after kickoffs and having the 2nd best kick coverage team in the league is a huge advantage in hidden yardage

Lee Evans cannot be single covered... and Josh Reed looks like a decent WR

Our offensive line can pass block... finally (Brad Butler is vastly underrated, look at how bad the OL played w/ him injured)

Player A has a 59.8 comp% thrown for 2616 yards 7.0 yrd/att 14td's and 12int

Player B has a 60.2 comp% thrown for 2410 yards 6.8 yrd/att 13td's and 10int

Player C has a 66.0 comp% thrown for 2378 yards 7.3 yrd/att 10td's and 10int

Those 3 QB's are Big Ben, Joe Flacco, and Trent... We are alot better off QB-wise this year than we have been

Now to the bad...

TE is a lost cause on this team Royal isn't even that good of a blocker anymore, you might as well have Chambers out there. I won't even mention him in the passing game

Chris Kelsay is my personal whipping boy, he tries so hard, yet there are so many times he bites on PA fakes or gets shoved halfway down the line on a running play, the guy plays his butt off, he just isn't that good at the game of football

Edwards has yet to figure out how to beat a defense when it drops everyone into coverage. But he is young and history has shown that QB's take time to develop. (Ryan is the exception to the rule)

Duke Preston is the worst center I have ever seen... I don't even want to imagine him being the starter for another year.

Now on to the coaching.... seems like everyone wants Jauron fired, I think that is totally the wrong thing to do. Teams need to form an identity, they need to have a plan from top to bottom. This team is being built to be a strong tampa-2 defensive team w/ a power running game. You cannot just junk the plan and start over when immediate results don't happen. He has been 7-9 his 1st 2 seasons and is now 6-7 in his 3rd. Not exactly lighting the world on fire, but not terrible either considering what he inherited. Dick doesn't call the offensive plays (i'm not a big fan of Turk, we don't have any flow), he doesn't rush the passer (our DB's are good, we can blitz once and a while since we don't have the edge rushers). A head coach now-a-days is an administrator. And from what I watch the players play hard for him

The personal department now needs to put the finishing touches on this team and give us the pass rushers we need to effectively play the tampa-2 and the TE that is required of any successful conservative power running team and things will get better.

Seriously though... it is all about the pass rush, and always will be

-Jon

Obviously we have fallen apart the 2nd half of the season, but I don't think this team is that far away from being very good.

The defense is above average, and is a pass rusher away from being in the top tier. We are 15th in points allowed, 11th in yards allowed while being 27th in INTs and 25th in sacks. Do you know how hard it is to stop teams when the QB can stand in the pocket all day long, and the offense can't get you off of the field? Yet somehow our defense has managed to keep us in games. The only game the defense played badly was against the Cardinals.

Our special teams are excellent. I know Lindell has got the shanks, but the return game and punting is yet again a huge strength of this team... getting drive starts around the 40 yard line after kickoffs and having the 2nd best kick coverage team in the league is a huge advantage in hidden yardage

Our offensive line can pass block... finally (Brad Butler is vastly underrated, look at how bad the OL played w/ him injured)

Those 3 QB's are Big Ben, Joe Flacco, and Trent... We are alot better off QB-wise this year than we have been

Now to the bad...

TE is a lost cause on this team Royal isn't even that good of a blocker anymore, you might as well have Chambers out there. I won't even mention him in the passing game

Chris Kelsay is my personal whipping boy, he tries so hard, yet there are so many times he bites on PA fakes or gets shoved halfway down the line on a running play, the guy plays his butt off, he just isn't that good at the game of football

Edwards has yet to figure out how to beat a defense when it drops everyone into coverage. But he is young and history has shown that QB's take time to develop. (Ryan is the exception to the rule)

Duke Preston is the worst center I have ever seen... I don't even want to imagine him being the starter for another year.

Now on to the coaching.... seems like everyone wants Jauron fired, I think that is totally the wrong thing to do. Teams need to form an identity, they need to have a plan from top to bottom. This team is being built to be a strong tampa-2 defensive team w/ a power running game. You cannot just junk the plan and start over when immediate results don't happen. He has been 7-9 his 1st 2 seasons and is now 6-7 in his 3rd. Not exactly lighting the world on fire, but not terrible either considering what he inherited. Dick doesn't call the offensive plays (i'm not a big fan of Turk, we don't have any flow), he doesn't rush the passer (our DB's are good, we can blitz once and a while since we don't have the edge rushers). A head coach now-a-days is an administrator. And from what I watch the players play hard for him

The personal department now needs to put the finishing touches on this team and give us the pass rushers we need to effectively play the tampa-2 and the TE that is required of any successful conservative power running team and things will get better.

-Jon

We are not that bad...

1. We have a solid defensive unit that has lost key players (Youbouty, Greer, Schobel and Crowell)

2. We have a O-line that is way over paid but is pass blocking better as of late.

3. Young WR core that could be pretty good if we can settle the O-line and QB situation.

4. Good RB's

5. Great Special teams

I totally believe we need a coaching change though. This team needs an identity...more importantly, some swagger! We need toughness. A great coach could win with this team, there is enough talent. Our gameplan, in game coaching, lack of fire, and lack of swagger are killing this team and that falls on the staff.

We are not that bad...

1. We have a solid defensive unit that has lost key players (Youbouty, Greer, Schobel and Crowell)

2. We have a O-line that is way over paid but is pass blocking better as of late.

3. Young WR core that could be pretty good if we can settle the O-line and QB situation.

4. Good RB's

5. Great Special teams

I totally believe we need a coaching change though. This team needs an identity...more importantly, some swagger! We need toughness. A great coach could win with this team, there is enough talent. Our gameplan, in game coaching, lack of fire, and lack of swagger are killing this team and that falls on the staff.

The two of you have obviously missed the update:

Jerry Sullivan is now running the Bills and everyone must be depressed, not only for 2008 but from now until the end of time. Unless you are on the Sullivan blame train, you are not facing the truth. Jerry Sullivan was, is now, and always will be the authority. The sooner you realize this the better you will be.

Jerry Sullivan is now running the Bills and everyone must be depressed, not only for 2008 but from now until the end of time. Unless you are on the Sullivan blame train, you are not facing the truth. Jerry Sullivan was, is now, and always will be the authority. The sooner you realize this the better you will be.

:blink: :blink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sullivan isn't blaming the players, he's blaming the unmitigated disaster of a Bills' head coach known as Dick Jauron. He's a year too late but he's finally facing the truth you are so apparently unwilling to face.

Now to the bad...

-Jon

You're crazy.

Sullivan isn't blaming the players, he's blaming the unmitigated disaster of a Bills' head coach known as Dick Jauron. He's a year too late but he's finally facing the truth you are so apparently unwilling to face.

Glad you're on the train. Jerry for owner.

And from what I watch the players play hard for him

-Jon

H-less Jon, I agree with everything you say until this part. This team USED to play hard for Jauron, but lost it somewhere along the line. I think we were fooled into thinking we were better than we actually were after the first 6 games of the year, but the team has NOT played with the kind of fire and desire needed to beat teams better than- or in some cases -as good as they are.

Uhmmm..yes our O line is pretty good at passblocking. But they are horrrible at runblocking. Yes our D is OK---average. Yes we need passrushers.--And TE has become a question mark(concussion? i hope thats the reason).And our linebackers are average.

This team needs genius moves and luck over the next 2 years to avoid total disaster(even worse than the disaster we presently have on our hands)

-Jon

Duke preston would have to improve to reach this status .... it is not fair to the other centers in the league to classify him as being in the same position. Maybe he should be called off-center.

H-less Jon, I agree with everything you say until this part. This team USED to play hard for Jauron, but lost it somewhere along the line. I think we were fooled into thinking we were better than we actually were after the first 6 games of the year, but the team has NOT played with the kind of fire and desire needed to beat teams better than- or in some cases -as good as they are.

The defense still plays hard for Jauron. Not sure about the offense. Most of them are. I think it's just that we are getting such abysmal play at the QB position and have been since week 8. Good QB play and this team is at least 8-5.

The defense still plays hard for Jauron. Not sure about the offense. Most of them are. I think it's just that we are getting such abysmal play at the QB position and have been since week 8. Good QB play and this team is at least 8-5.

Yeah, you make a good point. Decent play from any QB would have undoubtedly won us the SF and Cleveland games (putting us at 8-5).

I just watched the miami game in slow motion, and despite repeated mental errors and unbelievably bad coaching, our players usually beat the guy in front of them. Miami had at least two tight ends and a fullback in against our base 4-3 all day long and we usually stopped the run. There isnt any doubt in my mind that man for man we are a vastly superior team. except for pennington, who is awesome.

Our players are frustrated by the ridiculous coaching. Slow motion reveals a lot. Miami had all the answers and our coaches just never adjust.

I just watched the miami game in slow motion, and despite repeated mental errors and unbelievably bad coaching, our players usually beat the guy in front of them. Miami had at least two tight ends and a fullback in against our base 4-3 all day long and we usually stopped the run. There isnt any doubt in my mind that man for man we are a vastly superior team. except for pennington, who is awesome.

Our players are frustrated by the ridiculous coaching. Slow motion reveals a lot. Miami had all the answers and our coaches just never adjust.

Who can argue with that?

Could you read Stroud's lips from slow mo? Did he say, "Wow, we are all great, but Jauron and Fewell are morons. Don't worry Kelsay, next year, with new coaches, you'll be the next Bruce Smith"? Is that what he said? I couldn't quite tell.

How did Duke Preston's snap look in super slow mo? Did Jauron run out onto the field zipping like a hummingbird and flick the ball out of poor Duke's hand? Can you only see that in super slow mo? I thought I saw a blur on the screen right as this play was happening.

I thought I was one of a select few that felt this way about Sullivan. On a similar note, I couldn't stand 'The Coach' either. Watching him scream at Bruce at training camp in 1990 was amusing, what with his snazzy headband, but after Washington (SB XXVI) he became a bitter old man that catered to the angry and the lowest common denominator of Bills fans. The whole thing with Parker was a mess. He implied Moulds was mentally deficient, (this was late 1997) claiming it was an 'inside source' that told him he was too dumb to be coached. Uh huh.

Sullivan is not as over the top, but he's still inflammatory. He's the assh*le at work that might say what everyone is thinking, and that makes us giggle, but we all know he's still an assh*le.

I like critical journalism, but getting on a topic and pounding it into the dirt gets old. We know Ralph has many, many faults, but Sullivan takes it to where I feel like a voyeur just reading it. Leo Roth plays the role of J Sullivan here in Rochester, and he's not even good at it.

Slow motion or not I think we saw a lot of players looking at each other and turning up their hands as if to say, well we tried to stop miami in wildcat when they had an extra tackle, two tight ends and a fullback in front of our base 4-3, but whitner just wasnt going to get by that tackle and make the play in the backfield. It does not take lip reading or crayon eating to deduce that our players are frustrated because they are not being put into position to make plays.

Last year the giants ran 13 times in a row to win against us at home. They ran five times inside our 15 with two extra linemen and three tight ends against our base 4-3 defense. Whether or not I could see their frustration is a moot point. Our guys arent being given a fair chance to win. "Who could argue with that?", you ask. Feel free to.

the problem isn't how good or bad the talent level on the team is, the problem is that this team has completely lost faith in the coaching staff and itself. This team would be lucky to beat a high school team right now with the way their confidence is...