Open Bar?

tmk-nj

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You like those earthy, peaty scotches, I see. I enjoy them, too, but usually I prefer smoother varietals like Cragganmore and Bowmore.

Balvenie Doublewood is a smoother one I like as well. Cragganmore is a good one. Not a Bowmore fan.

I do tend to favor anything from Islay.

Grand Marnier in a sniffer glass

Perhaps you mean "snifter"?

Anyway, I tend to agree with plenz, in saying "Go with what you know". You don't want to be doing too much experimenting at the wife's company party. But, by all means, if you know what you can handle, indulge in the good stuff. Why the hell not?

I'd probably start with cocktails (maybe a couple of very dry Bombay Sapphire gimlets), then have the appropriate wines throughout dinner...or beer, if it is more appropriate to what is being served. But, my beer limit is about 2. A couple of nice cognacs after dinner is always a nice treat, too.

Now, the wild card is Champagne (real Champagne). If there is a high-quality bubbly, then all bets are off, for me. I loves me some good Champagne.

Rule of thumb: Only engage in Jaeger bombs if the boss takes the lead.

7 & 7 (whiskey and 7up).

It's better if you just order your drinks one at a time. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it's considered kind of tacky to order your whole evening's worth of drinks all at once. People will look at you sitting at your table with 14 drinks hoarded together in front of you and say, "who the hell does that guy think he is?" Plus, I don't know how you plan to carry them. Most high class bars don't have those cardboard multiple beverage carrying containers.

:worthy:

Perhaps you mean "snifter"?

Anyway, I tend to agree with plenz, in saying "Go with what you know". You don't want to be doing too much experimenting at the wife's company party. But, by all means, if you know what you can handle, indulge in the good stuff. Why the hell not?

I'd probably start with cocktails (maybe a couple of very dry Bombay Sapphire gimlets), then have the appropriate wines throughout dinner...or beer, if it is more appropriate to what is being served. But, my beer limit is about 2. A couple of nice cognacs after dinner is always a nice treat, too.

Now, the wild card is Champagne (real Champagne). If there is a high-quality bubbly, then all bets are off, for me. I loves me some good Champagne.

Rule of thumb: Only engage in Jaeger bombs if the boss takes the lead.

Trust the Dean on this one kid....he's got a fine, fine appreciation for alcohols since he had to deal with Prohibition.

:bag::unsure:

A few years ago, no bonuses was announced prior to the year end party. A good friend of mine was pissed and decided that year he was going to "drink his bonus". After several nice bottles of wine, a bottle of some really expensive scotch (bought specifically for the company president), and multiple shots of whatever he could get his hands on; we all agreed he had. Needless to say the next day we literally thought he was dead. It really wasn't a great idea, but man we got some great stories from that night.

Amazingly, he didn't get fired.

I'd just say what a couple others have mentioned in this thread. Do not be that guy that abuses the open bar. Hard to live that $h1t down.

The company that I used to be with used to hold a annual xmas party for the employee and spouse. Was always very nice with an open bar and very good food. But as the company got bigger there were more questionable people working there. One year someone drank too much. Got in a accident and sued our company for feeding him the liquor. Can't remember exactly but in the few years that followed there was a couple fights at the party so they ended up canceling it for good.

That being said, I would go with my standard Pacifico and lime. I may follow it with a nice double Grey Goose with pinapple/orange. :unsure: