Alright you olds....Listen up....

JinVA

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old people suck

They can't use debit cards and hold up the line at Country Chicken Buffet. Plus they smell funny

I don't think the Country Buffet thing should matter as old people should be the only people in a Country Buffet.

The town where we live, Ashland, VA, is 150 years old and there is a family-owned grocery store in town, Cross Brothers (no web site), that has been run by the Cross family for generations. They have an index card system and if you don't have the coin with you, you simply put it on your tab. You buy your groceries and, if you like, they deliver it to your place. Or you can call them up and tell them what you want and they deliver it. An interesting place and one with a loyal customer base that has been able to survive the onslaught of the nearby chains. Though their selection is not as vast as the chains, they custom cut meat and have all of the basics. If there is something in particular that one wants, they will stock it.

As would be expected, there is more banter at this store and quite a few senior citizens present but the family is good about having enough people at the register so that if someone wants to chat awhile, they step aside and another family member/employee takes over another register.

And now, here is one of my all-time worst experiences with retail incompetence. I'm at Fenway Park (this is many years ago) and I go to get beer. Well, at that time, you had to go to a separate line that only sold beer. The line I was in only sold one kind of beer, draft beer. You were allowed a maximum of TWO beers. So, you choices were:

1. One Beer

2. Two Beers

That's it! The motherfuc#ing line was very long, and went very slow. I found out why when I got to the front of the line. There were two (or more) people behind the counter. One would as the next customer "What would you like?", the person would order one of the two choices above, THEN they poured the beer, and THEN the cashier would calculate the price (as if it were going to be anything other than one, of two, numbers) and THEN they would count out the change, as if it were going to be different with every transaction. WTF? This thing should have been a well-oiled machine with constant pouring and "One" or "Two" being shouted and change ready for either, on a $20 or $50 bill. No such luck. Missed a couple of innings watching that clusterfu#k.

Fenway is terrible. Their beer policy (last time I was there a few years ago) was that the ID'ed everyone who didn't look at least 35 and you had to have a valid MASSACHUSETTS ID. If you didn't live in Mass. you were supposed to have a Mass non-resident ID. So, people would stand in line, get to the front, not have ID (because they were from out of town or a student from another state) and get into an argument about being turned away - now that's a clusterf*@k!

The town where we live, Ashland, VA, is 150 years old and there is a family-owned grocery store in town, Cross Brothers (no web site), that has been run by the Cross family for generations. They have an index card system and if you don't have the coin with you, you simply put it on your tab. You buy your groceries and, if you like, they deliver it to your place. Or you can call them up and tell them what you want and they deliver it. An interesting place and one with a loyal customer base that has been able to survive the onslaught of the nearby chains. Though their selection is not as vast as the chains, they custom cut meat and have all of the basics. If there is something in particular that one wants, they will stock it.

As would be expected, there is more banter at this store and quite a few senior citizens present but the family is good about having enough people at the register so that if someone wants to chat awhile, they step aside and another family member/employee takes over another register.

Amen...Need more places like this. The local ACME grocery store was like this until they got "Wal-Marted" out of business

Sounds like a great place.

What's a debit card?

Something for those who can not own a credit card without carrying a balance either through poor will power or poor bookkeeping skills. I know it seems stupid for credit card companies to issue cards to such idiots but if businesses stopped selling services to idiots they would lose half their business, maybe more if posts on main board are any indicator.

Learn to use a freakin' debit card for christ sakes :unsure::unsure:

And if thats too much to ask at least have your checkbook in hand with everything but the amount filled in.

I'm old and still write checks, I always write them out in line including all the crap the cashier has to write done like License

number etc. I just fill out the amount, it's as quick as the swipe and pin entry of a debit card. But I admit if someone like you is behind me and bitching about me I write a new check and take my time, I'm old.

I was born in 1968... And as a young lad my mother would shop at Dubel's...I still remember that system (the tab system and the book they recorded things in) there in the 1970's... Of course that system began to get swallowed up with more and more credit. Good to see that some still keep it alive! Refreshing!

Sounds like a great place.

They all used to run like that. I suspect things starting changing with the advent of more in "your face customers"... What a hassle it would be if people started stiffing the grocer. Small towns it could float... Everybody knows each other... But, as the towns and economies grow to larger scales, I suppose it becomes quite a chore to run a tab system.

Sad, but people start wrecking it for all.

They all used to run like that. I suspect things starting changing with the advent of more in "your face customers"... What a hassle it would be if people started stiffing the grocer. Small towns it could float... Everybody knows each other... But, as the towns and economies grow to larger scales, I suppose it becomes quite a chore to run a tab system.

Sad, but people start wrecking it for all.

Bars the same way. There still are bars that run tabs, but they are fewer and fewer. I actually had drug dealers that let me run a tab. Good times.

But, as you say, people screw it up. People suck.

Bars the same way. There still are bars that run tabs, but they are fewer and fewer. I actually had drug dealers that let me run a tab. Good times.

But, as you say, people screw it up. People suck.

Exactly.

Who would these people rather stiff... A guy/friend they see every day or so... Or a "faceless corporation?"

is it any wonder places like Lowes are closing up? they build 200,000 SF stores you could get lost in. you could fit 1000 cars in the parking lot and another 5,000 people inside. 25 checkout lines...and ONE FREAKING LANE OPEN. and that is usually run by some dumbass with more pins on their lapel than IQ points. Its funny when they look at you and ask YOU the questions..."UH, is this a "bolt" or a "nut...I forget. Then they get that book out and hold it up to it to match the size....good god.