Edwards throwing Lindell under the bus?

Beerball

Other than Edwards himself, I bet you'd have a hard time finding anyone else in that stadium last night who wanted to see him throw another pass on that last drive. Well, other than the Cleveland sideline anyway.

I wanted a nice little play action pass. Didn't use many last night, and it would have been o so easy to get a little dump off to fine for another set of downs and an easy win.... to bad DICK has no BALLS

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's plenty of blame to go around...but seriously-anyone who wants to pin this on Lindell needs to get their head on straight. That playcalling- 3 consecutive runs- are you KIDDING me? What? Are we inside the 20 yard line or something?

This game was the definitive "are we good or not?" look at the squad, and we showed our true colors...if we could not put away the Browns- we don't belong in the playoffs. This game should never have been close- and if it were not for McKelvin...it wasn't.

We throw 20 yards to Royal and "dick around" to try a 47 yarder...genius.

I will say one thing...the one guy who most certainly did not pass on ANY blame is Lindell.

This team needs to get back to winning the hearts of fans...and it starts with every coach instilling courage and confidence in these players to "rip other teams apart" and NOT taking some completely lame-ass 'tude of "...we put ourselves in a position to win the game at the end"...throw some knockout punches and stop wussy jabbing hoping to get a "split decision"...its pathetic football for fans who are tired of it.

Is Lee Evans still on the team? That guy is pretty good at catching long balls. i wonder what would happen if we aired it out. "He would probably catch it" would be something Losman would probably say...ok...I am just venting.

If you are afraid of your own QB and play not to lose -- that's what's gonna happen.

Edwards was terrible last night, everyone agrees. He was also 13-19-123-1-0 over the last 3 quarters and made a very solid throw to get them to the 30. Settling for a 47 yard FG attempt into the wind because you are afraid to let your QB throw another pass is absurd. And it's absurd even if Lindell hits the FG. Would one more win really matter to this team when the coaching staff is sending a clear message that they have zero confidence in their QB? If that is the case, why was he in the game at all?

Post of the year, IMO.

This game was the definitive "are we good or not?" look at the squad, and we showed our true colors...if we could not put away the Browns- we don't belong in the playoffs.

You are correct about not belonging in the playoffs if they can't beat the Browns. But, I'm not sure about the bolded sentence.

Are we good or not? If Lindell makes the FG, is the team good?

The only reason I'm nit-picking here, is I believe the team, in general, showed they ARE pretty damn good, for the most part. The offensive line was terrific, the running game was good, for a change. The defensive backfield, without Greer and Whitner for much of the game, did a real nice job i thought and ST were awesome (except for...well you know).

What we have here (based on last night) was a good team thwarted by a horrible performance by the QB, and some gutless playcalling with the game on the line.

Lindell sucks. Pittsburgh, Indy, last night. I said it when it looked like they were settling for a field goal. He always misses kicks at big times. Doesn't excuse the whole team for sucking, but it is clear: lindell sucks.

Remember when he hit the winning field goal with a couple seconds left against Washington last year from 38 yards? Or when he made the winning field goal against the Raiders with time expiring this year?

I was rooting for a play-action pass on 2nd down, to pick up another 7, or so, yards. Also, if it was available, that simply play-action might result in a wide open TD. Edwards was throwing better, by that point, and I would have given him one shot, at least, to make some sort of play.

Exactly. I couldn't believe they were running, settling for the long field goal attempt.

Remember when he hit the winning field goal with a couple seconds left against Washington last year from 38 yards? Or when he made the winning field goal against the Raiders with time expiring this year?

I do, but 2 out of 5 is not enough. He sucks and is not good enough, like a lot of players on this team.

If you are afraid of your own QB and play not to lose -- that's what's gonna happen.

Edwards was terrible last night, everyone agrees. He was also 13-19-123-1-0 over the last 3 quarters and made a very solid throw to get them to the 30. Settling for a 47 yard FG attempt into the wind because you are afraid to let your QB throw another pass is absurd. And it's absurd even if Lindell hits the FG. Would one more win really matter to this team when the coaching staff is sending a clear message that they have zero confidence in their QB? If that is the case, why was he in the game at all?

Good post. I had not thought about the post-INT stats. He also ran one in for a TD too.

2 out of 5? Wasn't there a graphic showing he was 11 of 12 in the last 2 mins with the game on the line?

Shhh...that doesn't fit with the misconception that Lindell sucks and is an anti-clutch kicker. And that stat was ignored the first time it was brought up, earlier in this thread. (Full disclosure - I thought it said 12 of 13 before the kick, but I could be wrong. Even 11 of 13 is still pretty damn good.)

You are correct about not belonging in the playoffs if they can't beat the Browns. But, I'm not sure about the bolded sentence.

Are we good or not? If Lindell makes the FG, is the team good?

The only reason I'm nit-picking here, is I believe the team, in general, showed they ARE pretty damn good, for the most part. The offensive line was terrific, the running game was good, for a change. The defensive backfield, without Greer and Whitner for much of the game, did a real nice job i thought and ST were awesome (except for...well you know).

What we have here (based on last night) was a good team thwarted by a horrible performance by the QB, and some gutless playcalling with the game on the line.

I think comes down to:

Can Edwards put the poor passes behind him and throw the ball downfield?

Can we not play Marty-ball at the end of the game?

Can we get a center?

Can Ellison make a play on a ball in the endzone?

Can Corner get a sack when he comes off the corner clean?

Can Ko make a play on the ball?

Can McKelvin make a play on the ball?

Can veteran d-ends not get taken in by the naked bootleg?

Not that we needed all of these, but some of them would have been helpful. And yes, there are rookies in this mix, because to be a good team you need your backups to play at a high level as well. Nobody gets away from the injuries in the NFL, but some teams persist through them.

Good teams find ways to win games. It should not have come down to Lindell making a 47 yarder, but because of his failure and many others that occurred during the game, we do not deserve to be in the playoffs because we are not good enough.

I think comes down to:

Can Edwards put the poor passes behind him and throw the ball downfield?

Can we not play Marty-ball at the end of the game?

Can we get a center?

Can Ellison make a play on a ball in the endzone?

Can Corner get a sack when he comes off the corner clean?

Can Ko make a play on the ball?

Can McKelvin make a play on the ball?

Can veteran d-ends not get taken in by the naked bootleg?

Not that we needed all of these, but some of them would have been helpful. And yes, there are rookies in this mix, because to be a good team you need your backups to play at a high level as well. Nobody gets away from the injuries in the NFL, but some teams persist through them.

Good teams find ways to win games. It should not have come down to Lindell making a 47 yarder, but because of his failure and many others that occurred during the game, we do not deserve to be in the playoffs because we are not good enough.

Well, the backups DID play well, very well, I thought, even the rookies. Sure some of these thing could have changed the game. But, my point is, the way they played (even without those things) was good enough to win, if the team has a merely "below average" game from the QB, or if the coaches make one good call on the last drive.

Well, the backups DID play well, very well, I thought, even the rookies. Sure some of these thing could have changed the game. But, my point is, the way they played (even without those things) was good enough to win, if the team has a merely "below average" game from the QB, or if the coaches make one good call on the last drive.

Unfortunately that is how losing is justified - "if we could have just done that one thing..." and while we could have gotten it done last night, we didn't. We were down most of the game and luckily our special teams kept us in it. The difference in a teams talent in the NFL is razor thin - that's why these teams come from last place in a division to first in one year. Making the play or making the correct calls is the difference between winning and losing, and it seems we've been on the wrong end of those plays more times than not.

It was a tough loss for me because of the missed kick, but it was a sign of where this team is. I guess we could still make the playoffs, but after this loss I'm hoping the young guys get some more experience this year and we make a run in 2009.

Watching Jim Kelly on the sidelines last night, I was thinking if he owned the team there was no way we'd be playing Marty ball on that last drive.