Edwards throwing Lindell under the bus?

Beerball

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From his post game press conference paraphrasing...
I told Marshawn, I told James Hardy, I told Robert Royal, stick with me, battle through this. We had the same situation happen last year with Tony Romo. He threw 3 or 4 picks in that game and still gave his team a chance to win at the end & Nick Folk hit a 50 something yard fieldgoal to win them that game

Does it sound like he's placing blame on Lindell?

Regarding the last drive...does he wish they had taken at least one chance to get closer? Again, paraphrasing...

I was just doing what they told me to do. I don't really, I um, that's well within his range.

He went on to say that the team shouldn't have been in that position to begin with yadda yadda yadda...

I didn't hear his press conference, but if this is accurate, it clearly sounds like he is using Lindell as a scapegoat.

Not only that, it sound like he's giving himself credit for them having a chance to kick a winning FG.

But then again, Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas did the same (and still do) to Scott Norwood.

So does half the fanbase.

I'll raise my hand that I wanted him to throw more. Right before that last drive started, they showed the huddle and Trent finally looked like Trent. You could see him pumping his teammates up, slapping asses and so on. They zoomed in on him and it looked like the lights were back on. He wanted a chance to redeem himself and the coaching staff had another epic failure.

I thought the play calling at the end of the game was abhorrent. But, to be fair, the coaches had to call an entire game around a QB who simply wasn't there, for most of the game. Considering that huge handicap, I thought the play calling for most of the game, was actually OK. They got the most out of the offense with a QB that looked scared/confused/whatever. We can say that Trent looked like he had it at the end, but he just spent close to 60 minutes showing the coaches he he left it in the locker room.

So, while we can blame the coaches for that overly conservative approach to end the game, Edwards better not. He was goat #1, by a large margin, this night.

If your rival on the other team makes a 57 yarder than would have been good from 60+, you better make that kick.

Lindell sucks and has always sucked. He is the anti-clutch version of Vinateri.

Have you heard of a thing called "wind"?

Just askin'.

Trent obviously had a bad first quarter (two bad INTs and one deflection), but he was not "throwing Lindell under the bus."

We should not have been in that position.

I am frustrated with myself with the way I performed.

There are some things I need to fix.

The first quarter effected him, but he was bouncing back and a win really would have helped his confidence. He is still a young QB. He and the team really need some wins.

I thought the play calling at the end of the game was abhorrent. But, to be fair, the coaches had to call an entire game around a QB who simply wasn't there, for most of the game. Considering that huge handicap, I thought the play calling for most of the game, was actually OK. They got the most out of the offense with a QB that looked scared/confused/whatever. We can say that Trent looked like he had it at the end, but he just spent close to 60 minutes showing the coaches he he left it in the locker room.

So, while we can blame the coaches for that overly conservative approach to end the game, Edwards better not. He was goat #1, by a large margin, this night.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts. Yeah, he may have started to show something towards the end, but I really can't blame them for not trusting him at that point. But then again, if that wasn't their reason for going with the 3 runs (obviously we'll never know the answer to that one), then yeah, I blame the coaches completely.

Just askin'.

The have that in the Ralph now? :thumbdown:

Just askin'.

Lindell sucks. Pittsburgh, Indy, last night. I said it when it looked like they were settling for a field goal. He always misses kicks at big times. Doesn't excuse the whole team for sucking, but it is clear: lindell sucks.

I don't see how that's placing blame in Lindell at all. That's quite a stretch. Lindell would probably be the first to admit that he blew it and if Trent is smart (like I think he is), he'd know better to throw a kicker under the bus when he threw 3 INTs.

The second quote sounds closer to Trent throwing the coaches to the wolves.

Yeah, the second one, about the playcalling, is a maybe. The one about Lindell is absolutely not blaming Ryan. Which makes sense, this one wasn't Lindell's fault. 47 yarders aren't gimmes.

Just askin'.

Not to mention that graphic ESPN put up before the kick - IIRC, it said that Lindell had hit 12 of 13 GW or GT FG's under 2:00 in his career.

That screams "not clutch."

A couple weeks ago Madden was discussing offensive philosophy saying it is OK for a QB to take what the defense is giving him for much of the game, but there comes a time when the QB has to impose his will on the defense. Edwards does not believe in himself right now, doesn't trust himself to impose his will on the defense...hence he takes what (in his eyes) they are giving him.

Sad performance.

Sound advice. In that improbable PHI at CIN tie, the B'gal's idiot OC Bob Bratkowski put the cuffs late on QB Fitzpatrick. What for? They were 1 and 8.

Kicker Graham missed a 47 yard FG under wind conditions at the near end of the OT period. I don't fault Graham, same as I don't fault Lindell. The OC in both cases went into a cowardly shell.

BTW, Bratkowski is truly a piece of work. Any fan with half a brain can predict his play calling. Since he's been on board, anytime you see a B'gals qb audible, you can bank on it that the play will be a run. And his opening play on their 1st possession in a game is almost always a deep handoff left, which gets flattened.

If TE has a crisis of confidence - Schonert should step in and take action. :thumbdown:

There wasn't that much of it last night ...

Well, there was enough of it going in the other direction to help Dawson make a 56 yarder, that would have been good from 60+. So, yes, wind WAS a factor. And it was one of the reasons the Bills playcalling should have not simply settled for that 47 yard shot.

But, my response was to the poster who wondered why, when the opposition just hit a very long FG, the Bills couldn't also hit a long FG. The reason for that, a lot of the time is, wind. It works both ways!

Hey...we coulda won. I blame the announcer (Kornheiser?) for rambling on about Scott Norwood and "wide right" for about 30 seconds before Lindell kicked. Poisoned the air. bad kharma. That's what really happened. I also got a kick out of this being a "playoff" game. The playoff games are the New England, Jets and Miami games. Lose any of those and you're history. Win those and two others and you're in.

That's beside the point that you never, ever settle for a 47 yd FG in mid November in Orchard Park, especially with 1 minute and a TO left.

Of course. It was awful.

But, I know that sitting in the stands, at the Ralph, doesn't give you a great sense of what the wind is like on the field. You are surrounded by people and are located on the edges of that bowl. On the open field, in the middle of that bowl, the wind is typically stronger than what you would experience as a fan.

My concern is that Jaron considered the FG a done deal right after the first down.

Maybe that's why he went to the ground. He wanted the Browns to burn all of their timeouts so that they would run out of time after the FG.

If that's true, that's insane. What other team would ever settle for a 47 yard FG when you have a minute to play? Hell, run the wildcat again. Run a naked bootleg (that worked well for the Browns, didn't it?) Just do something that the other team isn't expecting. Isn't that what Jaron and his coaches get paid to do?

The announcers had it right - TE apparently gets upset when he hears the names of the other QBs that were selected before him. Guess what? At least one of them - Quinn - looks like he has a lot more potential than Edwards.

The silver lining is that a least we won't have to watch this horrible coaching staff come January.