Gas $1.99 in Delaware

bartshan-83

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what's going on down the street from me. Two stations, both the same brand, were $1.77 most of last week. Then a few days ago, the one further away, about 1 mile, raised up to $1.85. The one closer to me dropped today to $1.75.

Has anyone else seen a "gas war" recently. In the old days, in an area with multiple stations, you would sometimes see one station undercut another, then a retaliation, etc. It's been a long time since I have seen that...until recently.

At the intersection of Interstate 95 and (Florida) State Road 16 there is an exit with several filling stations, two outlet malls, restaurants, etc. The gas at that exit was never significantly cheaper than in town, or at the exit to the north and south of it. Not long ago, a giant Racetrack station was opened. Since then, there has been a nice little gas war. While not all the stations participate, at least three or four (and I think more) battle it out for the lowest price. As recently as last week, the gas at that exit was about 10 cents cheaper a gallon, than elsewhere in the area.

Has anyone else seen a "gas war" recently.

Yea, here in Cicero. Four stations, all within a one 1/2 to 3/4 mile stretch of road, right off the highway. While the average in Syr is around $1.70-$1.75, these four are down around $1.60

Yea, here in Cicero. Four stations, all within a one 1/2 to 3/4 mile stretch of road, right off the highway. While the average in Syr is around $1.70-$1.75, these four are down around $1.60

Same here in my town... Three stations (Citgo, Shell, & Speedway) will compete... Citgo will usually set the pace. Cheaper than other areas, even historically lower areas.

That is correct.

:sick: When did the laws in other states ease up on self-serve? The 1970's? Gas stations must be blowing up all around the nation since then.

I can understand in the early days why self-serve was frowned upon... With safety and all... Then factor in the old manual pumps... Stations would surely be getting ripped off.

Do you think NJ not changing it has to do with NJ's strange culture with regards to the service industry? Do gas attendants in NJ expect a tip? :w00t:

:sick: When did the laws in other states ease up on self-serve? The 1970's? Gas stations must be blowing up all around the nation since then.

I can understand in the early days why self-serve was frowned upon... With safety and all... Then factor in the old manual pumps... Stations would surely be getting ripped off.

Do you think NJ not changing it has to do with NJ's strange culture with regards to the service industry? Do gas attendants in NJ expect a tip? :w00t:

It is also a problem for the disabled. In many states, stations are required to have a full serve pump, or offer service for those unable to get their gas. Unfortunately, many stations don't provide the option.

It is also a problem for the disabled. In many states, stations are required to have a full serve pump, or offer service for those unable to get their gas. Unfortunately, many stations don't provide the option.

In Illinois... There are signs saying if you need assistance you will be granted assistance... I assume you just honk your horn... I think that is what the sign says... I am not sure there are times and restrictions on this... It does seem that it works... The law that is.

On the other note... Did you ever see that commercial with the guy in the rain at the full-service pump? The attendent stalls as much as possible, finally gets his foul weather gear on only to run out and flip the sign to self-serve and then run back into his dry building... Too funny... I think the catch-phrase was "Do you get the impression that people just stop trying at times."

:sick:

In Illinois... There are signs saying if you need assistance you will be granted assistance... I assume you just honk your horn... I think that is what the sign says... I am not sure there are times and restrictions on this... It does seem that it works... The law that is.

On the other note... Did you ever see that commercial with the guy in the rain at the full-service pump? The attendent stalls as much as possible, finally gets his foul weather gear on only to run out and flip the sign to self-serve and then run back into his dry building... Too funny... I think the catch-phrase was "Do you get the impression that people just stop trying at times."

:sick:

No such signs in Florida, don't remember them in NYS or California, either, to tell the truth.

I haven't seen that commercial, but I can relate to the sentiment.

No such signs in Florida, don't remember them in NYS or California, either, to tell the truth.

I haven't seen that commercial, but I can relate to the sentiment.

I forget the company... But they show the guy himing and hawing while the dude in the car (pouring rain) honks his horn repeatedly... Fussing to get the gear on and then he runs out fast to ONLY flip the sign and then runs back!

:sick::w00t:

It may be just IL law?? I saw it on the pillar to the roof where they put all the regs about fire safe containers, no smoking, and no cellphone use during pumping (static)...